did you see what rick said about reyna???? i dont know how to feel anymore he said that making reyna lesbian would perpetuate harmful stereotypes that lesbians are only lesbians cause they cant get the men they want, i am very conflicted about this i wanted her to be queer really badly too
went looking for it after i saw this, but i gotta say it was hard to get through because it was such a pack of regurgitated bullshit that my brain kind of shut off halfway through the comment and i am mmmmm uh really about to lose it right here
- first of all, rickald dear, the subtext is blatant and it’s all right there and i could give you an itemized list of reasons why i think reyna is a lesbian and they’d all be backed up by the text, so if you didn’t “intend” it or can’t “see” it then you better try harder!!!! because it’s there.
- “she doesn’t need someone to complete her” is so TIRED lmao. i don’t need someone to complete me, either. i’m still a lesbian. percy and annabeth shouldn’t need each other to “complete” them. hazel and frank don’t need anyone to “complete” them, jason and piper shouldn’t either, or nico, or will, or motherfucking tyson or ella or grover or leo or calypso! if you are dating someone to complete yourself, your relationship is going to be codependent shit where you’ll be demanding unfair things from your partner that you should be able to get from yourself. you’ll be jealous, and controlling, and lose whatever identity you had to begin with. relationships are not meant to “complete” us, they are meant to complement us, to challenge us to grow in areas where we need growth while also giving us the support we need to help us get there.
- “reyna is reyna’s better half” oh fuck you. like seriously, just fuck off. annabeth isn’t annabeth’s better half? piper isn’t piper’s better half? hazel isn’t hazel’s better half? i mean fucking hell if your logic is “i can’t pair her with anyone because it’s compromising her independence” THEN WHY THE FUCK ARE ANY OF YOUR CHARACTERS DATING ANYONE?! RELATIONSHIPS SHOULD NEVER MAKE YOU COMPROMISE WHO YOU ARE!
- “lesbians are lesbians because they couldn’t find the right man” welllllllllllllll uuuuuuuuuuuh………………….yes, we are. like no lmao that didn’t make me a lesbian, but the absolute fucking reality is that lesbians actually literally cannot find the right man, because there isn’t one. the stereotype isn’t that we are lesbians because we couldn’t find the right man, because that’s true lmao, most of us have gone searching for the right man and finally reached the conclusion that men just don’t do it for us, and never will, and so our “mr. right” or prince charming or whatever the fuck doesn’t exist. the actual stereotype is that “lesbians just haven’t met the right guy yet” as in, this lesbian could still be attracted to you and she doesn’t really know who she is and you can just freely invalidate her sexuality because why not lesbianism isn’t real and you could be what she’s been waiting for.
- like alskjdf;lak i understand that it’s misogynistic to define lesbians by their lack of attraction for men, but the reality is that we live in a world we’re we are coerced from practically birth to define our lives in terms of men and so if you are literally incapable of conforming to that thought process, if you literally come to the conclusion that you cannot define yourself in terms of men because you are a lesbian, yes, that really is an integral part of your lesbianism.
- like, if you’re going to say that giving reyna a gf perpetuates stereotypes, then at least have some kind of understanding of what the fuck you’re talking about lmao.
- not to mention how casually, how callously, he dismisses bisexuality as a possibility for reyna. “having a girl end up with women after dating men is a bad stereotype.” that’s what he said. that is what he fucking said. as if youuuuu know…..real bi girls don’t do this? as if real lesbians don’t do this. as if it’s a fucking bad and perpetuating stereotypes to write about a real experience that bi girls and lesbians have both lived through? this isn’t an anomaly, this is extremely common, our failed relationships with men are something we joke about, something so common that it’s rare to find a lesbian or a bi girl who has never had a fling with a man in any capacity.
- fuck him.