dear kpop fans
Before reading, please try to understand my frustration behind this post. And since I feel like I need to specify this before I get hate for having a bts url, as it has happened several times before, I AM AN EXO-L AND A CARAT.
- YOUR IDOLS ARE NOT CHILDREN:
Ignorance should not be tolerated at all.
Fans are treating idols like they aren’t grown ass adults who should know how to act as public figures. Using racist slurs, making fun of others with darker skin tones, or straight out discriminating, IS NOT OKAY. And don’t use the “it’s korean culture” excuse because that’s like saying americans can be ignorant/ discriminatory of east asians because that’s our culture.
- FEMALE IDOLS ARE IDOLS TOO: Don’t ignore an entire side of music because you simply “aren’t into girls”, and I’ve seen that wording way too many times to count. Female idols are hard-working and deserve recognition, just like boy groups do. And don’t call them degrading names if they do a little hip shake while your bias is over there dry humping the floor.
- DON’T BASH AN IDOL FOR THEIR PHYSICAL APPEARANCE: Picking on an idol for not having the typical “kpop idol body” is NOT ACCEPTABLE. Comments like that is what scars people and for idols, it is not any different. Encourage them to be healthy, not malnourished.
- BE RESPECTFUL TO OTHER GROUPS: I’ve seen way too many posts about ignorant fans telling groups to disband and people to kill themselves. It’s not okay to bring down another group of people, as it’s disrespectful, rude, and only making you look worse as a person. NO GROUP IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER. It doesn’t matter who you stan or who you don’t stan, you should not bash another group to make yours look better.
- DON’T ATTACK NEW FANS, EDUCATE THEM: I completely understand when people get offended by “broken english” type stuff cause it is really disrespectful, but you shouldn’t just insult someone or bully them off a platform for using “hearteu” or whatever. If they continue to say things after you politely explain it to them, then that’s a different story.
- YOUR BIAS IS NOT THE ONLY MEMBER OF THEIR GROUP: Appreciate other members and support them too! I understand that “loving all members equally” isn’t a realistic thing to do but don’t use them as beds!
- IF THERE IS AN FAQ, READ IT: If a writing blog explicitly states “don’t ask for updates” then maybe uhhh DON’T ASK FOR UPDATES. Do yourself a favor and just read the faq before you ask questions, because if you ask them one of those, you’re wasting your time and the writer’s time since they just tell you to go read it.
- YOU DO NOT OWN YOUR IDOL: Just like you want cute hugs and cuddles, your idol probably does too!! Try to understand that they are not Sims characters that you watch through a screen and get to dictate all their decisions. They have wants and needs too, just like all of you so support their relationships!!