Thoughts about The Last Jedi
I don’t have
troubles accepting something new apart from six original films – I welcomed
Rogue One with open arms, and not only because of the Darth Vader ending scene.
I didn’t like The Last Jedi. I think I liked it even less than The Force Awakens. Maybe my opinion will improve a bit after I watch the movie on DVD.
Random thoughts about The Last Jedi:
- Leia and Kylo Ren are my favourites in this movie
- Leia continues to make both her adoptive and bio parents proud. She will fight until her last breath
- Speaking of last breaths… Luke gave his last breath while watching the binary sunset with The Force theme playing in the background. I love it
- While Leia is in every sense Anakin and Padme’s child, Luke continues the heritage of Yoda and Obi-Wan Kenobi: “My apprentice wrecked the Galaxy. I am going to retire to a deserted planet and mess with everyone’s mind from here”
- Anakin’s Betrayal Theme playing struck me
- Darth Vader died like 30 years ago. And yet I get the feeling that he is still around. The Imperial March is playing every time someone pronounces his name
- Not only Kylo Ren stands in awe of Darth Vader. Snoke also thinks Vader was cool
- Anakin’s lightsaber continues to be an obsession until Kylo and Rey literally break it in two. I can almost hear Anakin’s Force ghost yelling in the background: “Live my lightsaber alone!”
- Seriously, this lightsaber became such a cult thing. For some reason everybody thinks that if they wield this weapon, they will immediately become as cool as Anakin. When Anakin constructed his lightsaber in a hurry shortly after beginning of the Clone Wars, I doubt he counted on such fame
- Another Skywalker is offering a girl to rule the Galaxy together. When do you understand that this pick-up line is not working on girls?!
- Force is like deus ex machina in this movie. I can hear Han yelling in the background: “That’s not how the Force works!”
- Kylo Ren fighting skills are terrible. Either Luke sucks at being a teacher, or Kylo Ren is even slower learner than Anakin
- Kylo Ren takes trademarked “Skywalker whining and having a child tantrum at the age of 20+” to a whole new level. I like this guy
- Luke straight out tells that Yoda and the Jedi Order created Darth Vader
- When Rey went to the cave, I was hoping she would meet the ghost of Darth Vader. Instead we got a scene with the mirrors from Divergent series
- Finally, the part I didn’t like the most: Luke Skywalker
“I saw that raw strength only once before. It didn’t scare me then.” This is a lie. Before Kylo Ren he saw that raw strength in Darth Vader. Then he found out that Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader is the same person. He accepted the fact that he has the darkness in him as well. He won over the Emperor because of the calm acceptance of both the Light and Dark Sides of the Force, of who he is and who his father is. He won because, unlike the Old Jedi Order, he was not afraid of the Dark. This is the Luke of the Original trilogy. A naïve fool who came the wisest of all Jedi Masters.
Luke Skywalker in the sequel trilogy? The guy who made the same mistake as the
Old Jedi Order: he got afraid of the Dark. He got scared of the boy and then
tried to destroy him. Sounds familiar? Luke flatly admits that he created Kylo
Ren, and this is all true.