This post has a lot of people Big Mad™ , so let this post be the official DWF response to some of the comments I’ve seen.
If you get reported to the Tumblr mods for malicious speech, then whatcha gonna do then, DearWhitePeople? Complain that white folks are takin’ over Tumblr? XD ”
- If literal and actual Nazis don’t find themselves removed from twitter, I think I’ll be ok. And since you’re up in my notes, I hope you’re also going after Nazis.
“If you’ve ever straightened your hair, you’re a fucking hypocrite”
- White people don’t have a monopoly on straight hair. This is being willfully obtuse.
- But more to your point (because you’re presumably targeting black people who are known to have coily hair), forced assimilation doesn’t equal appropriation. It isn’t a hard concept to grasp that black people would feel pressured to carry their hair in western hairstyles when we’re literally losing jobs and getting our hair cut off in school for wearing our natural texture.
It seems as if the only ones truly concerned with color are the so called “people of Color”
- Why wouldn’t people of color be concerned with race?
- And the issues that POC face in modern day are as a result of racialized institutions created by white people.
What would MLK Jr. think?
- I’m gonna need y’all to keep MLK’s name out of your mouths when y’all are obviously not down for the current struggles of black people and people of color. We’ll never know what MLK would think because a white man killed him, but if the published works towards the end of his life are any indication, MLK would have thought more radically than y’all like to think.
So if white people want to stop sharing culture with you, we can stop you from living in skyscrapers, eating European foods like pasta, pizza, sausage, bread and grapes? We can stop you from using electricity and indoor plumbing? Can we also stop you from wearing mass produced clothing and footwear? How about we stop you from enjoying classical paintings and philosophy, or how about any form of government other than tribalism. The list can go on and on. “POCs” have only created music and dance.
Then stop using anything a white man ever invented. Stop listening to any music genres whites creates. Stop eating any dishes whites created. Then you can preach about it.
No, I think the OP’s point was that they regret taking advantage of things produced by ‘white culture’ like penicillin or the Internet.
- White people, y’all have not invented nearly as much as you think that you did. Like damn.
- And also, WHITENESS ISN’T A CULTURE.
So a white man deserves to be castrated for wearing dreads? That’s pretty racist
- Where does that say that?
Love the wonderful things POC get to say about white people. If this post was reversed and written by a white person, people would throw the race card as soon as it hit social media.
- The western world is saturated with white supremacy. The reason y’all struggle to see how POC are portrayed and perceived is because it’s ingrained in society itself
And finally to those on varying levels of the “culture IS meant to be shared” spectrum:
Culture is meant to be shared - among those to whom it belongs. Part of what makes it a distinct culture is a defined in-group.
I believe that sharing cultures is a good thing, when its multi-directional and given freely. If you don’t belong to a certain group, someone who is isn’t obligated to share it with you.
Culture is a strong identifying aspect of one’s identity and while anyone can be appropriative, white people in the Western World do not have the same historical context of forced assimilation, cultural erasure, and future cultural bastardization that POC have.
Lastly, white people can have culture, but whiteness isn’t it. Being white is not a culture. There is no set of shared practices, beliefs, or experiences associated with whiteness. The only unifying quality of whiteness is white skin.
And that’s all I have to say about that.