You can’t serve an Old fashioned in a coupette glass and you can’t serve a Mojito in a margarita glass. Don’t be an ass, and know you glass. Here is a list of the glassware you have or should have in the bar you work in or your own home bar. Let’s start with the basics…
1. Martini Glass- Used to serve drinks straight up without ice. Most common would be a Martini where the name comes from or the Manhattan.
2. Margarita Glass- A glass stylized like an upside down sombrero should only be used to serve the margarita or any type of margarita variation and nothing else.
3. Pint Glass- Beer and Beer/Cider based mixed drinks. example Black velvet, shandy or Black’n’Tans.
4. Rocks Glass/ Old-Fashioned- Used to serve liquor like good quality vodka or whisk(e)y, and cocktails with ice or neat.Examples of different drinks that go into a rocks glass: Negroni, Old Fashioned, Margarita on the rocks, Sazerac (Neat).
5. Shot Glass- The name itself says it. Used for shots! I imagine everyone knows this and at this point I’m just covering basics for the sake of it.
6. Highball Glass- Used to serve long drinks, aka spirit and mixers, aka highball drinks. Examples are: Screw Driver, Cuba Libre, G&T.
7. Collins Glass- Slightly shorter and wider than the Highball glass, this one is used to serve a good Collins, Fizz, or Rickey.
8. Brandy/ Cognac Glass- Used to serve Brandy/Cognac.Just make sure to swirl hot water inside it before pouring in the spirit. It should be served in a hot glass.
9. Wine Glass- There are different types for white or red wine but this is the standard everyone should be familiar with.
10. Champagne Flute- Used to drink sparkly wine, champagne or serve the following cocktails: French 75, Champagne cocktail.
11. Hurricane Glass- For blended frozen drinks and exotic drinks.
12. Irish Coffee Glass- Thick Glass with a handle used for hot drinks such as the Irish Coffee, Hot Toddy or Hot Buttered Rum.
13. Coupe Glass- The coupette is another great glass with a stem used for ‘straight up’ cocktails like the martini glass. I like to use this one for cocktails containing egg whites.
14. Grappa Glass- Used to enjoy Italian grappa.
15. Absinthe Glass- Thick and beautifully designed glasses used to drink Absinthe. Served with the iconic Absinthe spoon for the sugar.
16. Tiki Glass- There are many types of these glasses around and this is just one of them. They are ceramic and usually depict imagery from Melanesia, Micronesia or Polynesia. They are especially used for ‘Tiki’ style exotic cocktails based on rum blends and fruit juices.
17. Buck Mug- Copper mugs used for Buck style cocktails, the most famous being the Moscow Mule.
18. Julep Cup- Iconic metal cup used only for the Kentucky Mint Julep.
19. Sour Glass- These are not used that much anymore, but they were the official ‘Sour’ glass for sour style cocktails.
20. Tasting Glass- Used by spirit connoisseur’s for tasting fine Scotch or Gin for example.
If you enjoyed this article share it with people and hit that like button! Also if you have any questions or want to share your thoughts please comment below. - UM. Thanks guys!
I expect to do a few variations on this sort of post as alternate ideas are presented or folk recommend modifications to the recipes. These are all alcoholic and therefore not intended for fans under 21. There is one in the works for some of our alien characters as well.
These are strong drinks because that’s how mod likes her drinks. Please feel welcome to tag @vldquizsnacks or submit pics to us if you make these and take pictures!
I’m in the process of re-reading the Throne of Glass series before starting Tower of Dawn, and at the same time I’m basically glued to the TV to see when and how bad Irma is going to hit. So either Tower of Dawn is going to kill me or Irma is. 🙃
A/N: the ‘someone just spilled coffee all over me and my computer which had the only copy of my paper due in 15 minutes, and it seems like that someone might be the lead actor in my favourite show’ au that no one asked for
Her last assignment was due in 15 minutes. Lily could practically taste the freedom, could feel the summer months ahead. She sipped her coffee, hovering her mouse over the ‘send’ button. She took a deep breath, about to hit the button, when she heard the high-pitched sound of shoes sliding against the tile floor and all of the sudden her skin was burning -
“What the hell!” Lily exclaimed, jumping up from her seat in the coffee shop, glaring at the person who had just spilled incredibly hot coffee all over her, her new dress and her computer. She did a double take, because it seemed to be that the asshole who had just ruined her day was the lead actor in her favourite show, The Marauders. But that didn’t matter now.
“Oh my god, I’m so sorry,” he said, immediately grabbing some napkins from the table and handing them to her. “I’m so so sorry.”
Under any other circumstances, it would be a dream to meet James Potter. Devilishly handsome, a phenomenal actor, relatively famous, and just generally a cute person, he was every girls dream. But not Lily’s, at least not at this moment.
Lily scowled, her eyes burning into him. And if looks could kill, well, let’s just say that there would be a lot of crying teenage girls all over the world.
“Say that to my computer. That was the only copy I had of my final English Lit paper, that just happens to be due in 15 minutes.”
I don’t have blood orange juice. I don’t have honey, let alone ginger, or even pre-made ginger syrup. I don’t have a hurricane glass (though I do have a green straw). But dammit Rusty, I’m doing what I can with what I have. 4oz ginger ale, 2oz bourbon, 1.5 oz OJ, 0.5 oz lemon juice. Let’s call it a Siptfrie. Anyone else raising a glass tonight?