i know there are many many ridiculous alien species in star wars legends but my new favorite thing i’ve learned about is snivvians, bc a distinguishing characteristic of their culture is that every set of twins contains one GUARANTEED EVIL TWIN who is a genius supervillain
literally it says “when male twins are born … invariably, one would grow to become a sociopathic despot” and this was a big moral dilemma for their society where they were like “we can’t just kill both of them, that would be terrible” so they would try to lock up both twins and wait to see which one turned out evil, except that since he was always an evil GENIUS and MASTER MANIPULATOR that was not necessarily successful
There are many reasons and they all boil down to accessibility for everyone. It’s massively helpful for those of us who are disabled, and has the added benefit of being helpful for those who aren’t.
- Allows screen readers and verbal descriptions for the blind and visually impaired.
- Transcripts of videos that allow the deaf, hard of hearing, or those with audio processing problems to follow along by reading rather than or in conjunction with listening.
- Lets people know what the picture/screencap/video/gif is if it does not load or are on limited internet.
- Helps those with visual processing issues process the image.
- Gives autistics and people with problems reading facial expressions,emotions, and other non-verbal cues a helpful way to tell what’s going on in the picture/video/gif.
- Typed transcripts are often easier to read than screenshots (which are sometimes impossible to read).
- Audio transcripts are useful for people who can’t play sound from their device.
- Allows for blacklisting software to work more effectively. If an image description is included for a gif, picture, or screenshot then the words are already included in the body of the post and it is more likely to be screened by the software for people who need it.