Fallout universe Health and Food-related headcanons
Because I’m a holistic health and homesteading nut… :’)
- Sea salt is a major export of coastal states.
- Another export of coastal states is whale blubber, which is extremely rare and difficult to obtain. It is a high-end source of carbs (see studies on Inuit diets if you want more about that) and would be a delicacy within upper-class settlements.
- Salt is one of the only existing seasonings (and is used heavily in meat preservation, making cold cuts and little dried fish quite common!), any internationally sourced spices would have long since been used up, never to be replenished.
- Because of this, Peppercorns are extremely rare, and a very high priced commodity prized more-so as conversation pieces than culinary tools.
- Salt is also used in hair products. Mixed with warm water and vodka/rum it makes a great volumizer!
- Tea brewed with hubflower has similar effects to caffeine.
- Hubflower and mentats make one hell of an energy drink, like ginkgo tea on crack lol
- We can assume that bees still exist post-war, because of the remaining flora in the Wastes. Honey is the major sweetener, although it is sold at a premium because beekeeping would be a very dangerous career. (Raiding parties would hit beekeeping farms hard)
- If you see someone without a pocket-full of pemmican on them they’re probably dead tbh
- Ketosis is common but not completely necessary. Farms and settlements often have razorgrain, maize/corn, tatos and various tubers, which are the major carbohydrate sources.
- Razorgrain and corn flour/meal is a winter staple. Most people consist off of breads and snow-buried caches filled with thin meats in areas where the ground becomes inhospitable with the cold months.
- Despite conflicting dialogue concerning the existence of fish, FISH DEFINITELY STILL EXIST
- Pruno, moonshine, mead and beer are extremely common, as the means to craft them are widely available.
- Common household nutrient supplements would include: cured liver, bone broth, and gelatin.
- Daily oral care consists of alcohol-based mouthwash (straight vodka, preferably), and brushing with tallow soap.
- Tallow-based soap is readily available and decent hygiene really isn’t a huge issue with anyone who isn’t a piss-poor drifter.
- ok but can you imagine cornbread with farm sourced honey and mirelurk eggs because i’m hungry as hell rn
- In controlled environments with plenty of rest and medical supervision, stimpaks can help a person make a miraculous recovery from injury, and erase scarring. However, if used in a high-tension situation coupled with little rest and lack of consistent nutrition, scarring and/or perminant damage will occur.
- The real-world equivalents of (some of the) Fallout drugs are:
Day Tripper: Oxycodone
- People raised in Vaults or who have defected from environments like the Institute have high mortality rates. If their lack of hardcore survival knowledge doesn’t kill them first, the shock of radiation poisoning will.
- Obesity is next to impossible and a luxury only EXTREMELY wealthy people can afford. As excess weight gain is a product of energy storage (specifically carbs and sugars), the high protein/fat and low carb/sugar diet of the typical Wastelander would leave them in a state of constant energy absorption, coupled with the fact that not everyone is lucky enough to get even one meal a day.
AND THERE WILL BE MORE, THERE’S ALWAYS MORE