I don't know if you've been asked this before or not, but I'm genuinely curious on your take if they had Camicazi play in the film/tv series instead of Astrid? I understand that Astrid is "based" off of Camicazi and switched with her story to adapt better to the film/tv franchise, but I wonder how things would have been different if they stuck to more of the books, if that makes sense. I just find your opinions/analysis very interesting.
OOOOOH MAN, YOU ASKED THE QUESTION.
Quick preface: Astrid is not Camicazi, or vise-versa. I don’t care what role they’re trying to fill. Both the characters and their part, are so, so different.
Another quick sidenote: Someone once asked about introducing Camicazi in the TV show, which I outlined an episode for.
Now, you’re asking if Camicazi were to replace Astrid, not exist alongside of her? That’s something I have not talked about, as all of my movie!Camicazi adaptions exist within HTTYD-movie canon. To be honest… as far as background goes, I don’t see an immediate difference:
- Camicazi is still a Bog Burglar, from a different tribe, an allied tribe, also battling the War on Dragons.
- Camicazi and Hiccup both knew each other as heirs, seeing each other at the yearly Thing, always hosted by a different tribe.
- Camicazi was one of Hiccup’s first real “friends”. She, at least, respected him for who he was (or saw opportunity in what he was capable of), and they remained pen pals through the years.
- Hiccup was Camicazi’s first kiss from a boy. That follows whether Astrid exists or not.
- In the movie!canon timeline, Camicazi’s dragon is a Hobblegrunt… lest a Mood Dragon come to existance, which, in this non!Astrid one, maybe we can… and it’s name is Stormfly! YEAH!
So, should Astrid not exist…
- Hiccup is still fighting the good fight to Fit In™, just sans the Crush. But we’ll say that when no one believes him about shooting down the Night Fury, that, after he drops his “I just want to be one of you guys” line to Gobber, and forlornly shoves his way back into the Haddock Houshold, he first writes Camicazi a letter (and uses pigeon messaging? Pre-terrormail) gushing about his victory because at least she’ll listen.
- Hiccup has already started dragon-training, met Toothless, and has slowly begun to work on the tail-fin before Camicazi assaults him mid “See You Tomorrow” montage.
- Turns out, his letter was inspiration enough to get her to commandeer a small ship and adventure her Tiny, Tangled way over to Hooligan territory (it didn’t hurt that Hiccup’s letter mentioned his father would be away). Camicazi wants in… on whatever nonsense Hiccup is starting now (also she has her own Coming-of-Age background nonsense she’s running away from)
- Hiccup knows, in the back of his mind, that Camicazi was just looking for an excuse to break the rules a bit more. That was the basis of their friendship after all: he had an uncanny way of finding trouble and pissing people off, and Camicazi was all for getting them out of it. She loved the challenge. But he wants a human friend in on this. And he wants more people to know about Toothless the more he uncovers dragons.
- Camicazi loves hiding away on Hooligan Island, harassing Hiccup where she can, learning about dragons, and aiding in the magic of flight/helping-Toothless. She doesn’t reveal herself to Berk. Not while Stoick’s away. It’s her escape time.
- she also loves whispering into Hiccup’s ear how to handle his new popularity with his peers. She knows he loves it deep down; she also knows he feels false about it. She’s there to mediate.
- When Stoick returns, she wants to go further with Toothless. Ultimately, Stoick will receive word from her mother that she’s missing and people will be on high alert. She wants one last Hurrah.
- That’s when they discover the Queen.
- They decide to bring it to Hiccup’s father first after a small argument over which tribe to inform first. Hiccup’s not alone in breaking this news; both heirs need to carry the burden of truth.
- There is no Final Exam incident. It’s the witching hour and Stoick can barely contain his rage as Camicazi (the brat was on his island the whole time; Bertha’d never let him live it down!) practically shouts over his son’s mumbles absolute hearsay: Dragon Queens and taming Night Furies and generations of ideals wrong. But in the next instant his son is gone, a shadow in the sky that left him hoarse and looking like a lunatic.
- A week later of his son missing and Stoick certain he’d gone mad, an envoy of the Bog Burglars arrive. Bertha’s furious, talking of her daughter and his son flying around on a Night Fury of all things.
- Apparently their children had done a Truth Bomb on the Bog Burglars as well and demanded the two tribes meet lest they want to see their heirs again.
- It isn’t until dusk that Hiccup and Camicazi and Toothless come to Berk, remaining high, and barely visible, where they’re safe. They address the parties, and explain what they’ve seen, what they’ve learned, hoping for cooperation.
- It’s cooperation they’re given… up front. They’re careful play isn’t as well thought as as it seems, and the adults take matters into their own hands the following morning and steal away the Nightmare (meant to be slaughtered a week earlier) to find the nest.
- Kids follow, asses are kicked, feet are lost, in the chaos Camicazi bonds with a Mood-dragon/Hobblegrunt and helps save Phlegma the fierce (a Bog defector that was on her mother’s Shitlist)
- Hooligans and Bogs are forced to reconcile with dragons, with Camicazi and Hiccup colluding through Terrormail in the following five years <3
- Their meetings get hotter, let me tell you
(tldr; adding an outside heir would be hella sweet js)
- There’s a side thought that Hiccup won’t meet Camicazi until HTTYD3, which could involve Romans… as they truly met ;)