what to do during your pomodoro breaks
so, um hi! i know that there’s a lot of these posts out there, but somehow i never find one when i need one, so here’s one more with a collection of things to do in those breaks!
one: short breaks
i. hydrate yourself and eat!
- really important! if you don’t do both of these things, your productivity and health will diminish.
- get a study snack! here’s a post by @lovegoodmd (viastudies) which lists snacks that are tasty and good for brain power!
- get a glass of water! here’s a post by @studytildawn that explains why you should drink water and how much a day!
- here’s a self-care masterpost by @studyign which has a section on food/water.
- tbh you don’t even need a workout app or video for this. just do x number of x exercise (i like jumping jacks and squats).
- but you can also use an app like sworkit (ios & android) which has an option for 5 min. workouts!
- or you can find a video on youtube! i personally don’t know any fitness channels but i’m sure you can find some.
- also you could just turn on your favourite song and dance to it.
if you’re self-conscious about your dancing like me close the curtains hahaha
iii. find motivation to go on!
- scroll through a studyblr and look at studyspo & motivational graphics!
- make a small motivation wall – remind yourself of your goals, maybe how you will reward yourself, etc.
- here are some of my favourite graphics/posts: x x x x x
- also here are some masterposts!
- watch a studytube video! studyign, nehrdist and tbhstudying are the studytube channels i regularly watch, but there’s probably many more.
iv. tbh you don’t even have to be productive…
- it’s your break right? do something you enjoy or just relax!
- watch a not-studytube video?
- read a chapter of a book you’re reading! or even start a new book why not
- doodle! on your notes or on a scrap piece of paper.
- write? doesn’t have to be long, maybe one of these six word stories, or google writing prompts, you’ll find so many results!!
- here’s a post on relaxation by @aurumstudies
also you can just scroll through tumblr. it’s fine. studyblr is not going to kill you.
two: long breaks
tbh you can do all the things you can do in short breaks, but there’s a little more options!
i. hydrate and eat!
- again, do it!!!! maybe in your long break you can even make something because you have a little more time!!
- here’s my food tag, there’s food pictures but also recipes in there!
- have fun making something for you to eat after!
- also take your time! no one is going to die if you go a little over the 15 minutes timer because you’ve decided to make something a little too complicated.
- plus you don’t even have to eat it in your break, you can take your snack to your study space with you and eat it while rereading your notes or something.
- with a little more time, you can find a workout even better!
- again, you can just find a video or an app.
- i really like the 7-Minute workout app (i only found it for ios but there’s probably an equivalent for android?)
- a little related to this: take a shower!
- if you just exercised you might feel smelly/uncomfortable/whatever after so it might be a good idea to take a shower.
- also taking a shower really makes you feel better! baths are great too, especially with bath bombs.
iii. find motivation
for motivation you can basically just do the same things you can in the short breaks, so i won’t list them again hahaha.
iv. tbh you don’t even have to be productive…
- text or call a friend! if your schedule is tight and you really can only afford to take a 15 min break, make sure to tell them that you can’t chat for a long time.
- talk to your parents/siblings (or call them if you don’t live with them) and tell them how much you love them/appreciate them/etc. everyone loves feeling appreciated.
- or even just update them on what you’ve been doing! rant to them about how chemistry is muddling your brain or how you just can’t seem to understand this new math concept. chances are, they’ll sympathize with you and maybe (if they’re your parents or older siblings) share some stories of their own school life.
- put a song on and sing as loud as you can! even if you don’t think you sing well, sing. it will make you feel better.
- bonus points if you choose a song that reflects your current emotion or mindset!
my personal favourite is stressed out by twenty one pilots bahaah
- also try opera. it’s really dramatic and you can act it out + people that are not classically trained generally can’t sing opera anyway so it’s not much of a matter of having a good voice or not!
v. misc, but productivity
if you’re really stressed about whatever exam, refer to this section. otherwise, enjoy your break.
- work on a different subject! seriously, it refreshes your brain so much.
- use a different study method for the subject you’re studying. obviously keep in mind what works and what doesn’t for you. if you know for a fact that flashcards don’t work, don’t use flashcards.
- if your go-to study method is making mind maps, try flowcharting/making cause and effect diagrams instead. if you like re-reading your notes, make flashcards. if you usually watch videos, record yourself saying your notes and listen to the recording.
- point is, try something else.
- study another area of the subject. this works especially for all englobing exams, but even with unit exams you can do this.
- if so far you’ve only studied key concepts, try finding the most important vocabulary and studying that.
- or if unit 1.1 gives you trouble, try 1.2 and 1.3 and go back to 1.1 after.
- watch a documentary? i don’t have netflix but i heard that there are multiple educational documentaries on various subjects on there! also you can probably find some on youtube, in addition to other educational videos.
- come up with mnemonics for lists and vocabulary! also write them down somewhere, especially if you’re a reading/writing type of learner.
- decorate your notes: doodle in the margins or highlight some key concepts. here’s my tag for tips on note-taking which also has some tips for decorating them!
so i hope i could help and you liked it!
i know for sure that i helped myself hahaha anyway you can always leave suggestions in my ask for other masterposts or tips posts!