“Have you tried yoga??? My aunt did it when she had back pain and it cured her it’ll cure you too!!!”
My pre-calculus teacher when I told her that I have scoliosis and that makes it hard to sit in one position for very long.
“get help if it’s that bad!” funny how im seeing a therapist and a psychiatrist, regularly doing ~relaxing~ yoga, taking the highest dose of medication i can without physically harming side effects, doing my best to maintain a routine, and every single other thing i’ve ever been told to do by doctors and i’m still not getting better! sometimes help just doesn’t fucking actually help and i wish everyone would lay off im doing my best. fuck
Stabilization in the shoulder girdle has been a huge focus in my practice- most of my joints tend to pop out or hyperextend so I really need to focus on strength and activation. This is all about shifting and distributing your weight over a very stable shoulder joint ✌🏽️
2016 was year was a hard one. I carried a lot of guilt, hurt, and resentment over situations I did not have control over. I believed I deserved to suffer and I did not deserve happiness because other people in my life were hurting. It wasn’t until recently that I realized i have no control on how other people choose to act or their feelings. I started taking care of me. I started asking myself how are you, how are you doing mentally? I’m discovering myself
We all need to ask ourselves that. Take a moment to ask yourself, how are you doing? I’m taking my mental health more seriously. Yoga and meditation really improved my mental state.
Had to capture this moment… because this was the moment where I took a step back and felt pure happiness. Happiness from being able to study something for the sole purpose of learning. Not for grades or my gpa. For myself. It’s a rare feeling to come by in this day and age (unfortunately).
So remember friends: take the time to learn something you actually want to learn. Whether it’s psychology, medicine, yoga, or how to fly a freaking plane. Do it for yourself, you deserve it!
• Start on your knees with the elbows shoulder width apart and the forearms parallel, keep the arms fixed in this position throughout.
• Spread your fingers wide, and push strongly down into the mat, as though you are pressing the ground away from you.
• Don’t let your shoulders collapse around the neck, keep lifting them up towards the waist.
• Tuck the toes under and begin to straighten the legs. Walk the feet in towards the face, aiming to get the hips come high over the elbows. The closer you can walk the feet in, the less momentum you need to get up.
• Look between the hands- keeping your eyes fixed on a spot makes it easier to balance. Kick one leg up and the other. As you progress you are trying to use less momentum and more control.
• You may start off in more of a banana shape but try to straighten out the bend once you find your balance.
• Reach the toes to the sky, squeeze your thighs towards each other. tuck the ribs in and strongly engage your core for stability. Use your fingertips as brakes as the balance shifts.
• And last but not least - ENJOY! Don’t take yourself too seriously! It’s doesn’t matter if you fall, just smile and try again! 😀