So at the end of every volume of NANA, Ai Yazawa has a brief paragraph about the manga or just some introspection about her life. They give great insight into the series and I think only a few are found on the scans of NANA online, so I thought I’d share them all!
The creator, Ai Yazawa, told us, “I created this story so that it could be enjoyed as a stand-alone and, at the same time, have a complete ending that could be connected to an ongoing series. I hope you’ll look forward to the future of the two Nanas!”
A note from Ai Yazawa: “I had thought that if the two Nanas met each other, they would probably be constantly fighting, but they seem oddly friendly. What’s up with that?! It’s one of me (not so) seven wonders (ha-ha).”
Since childhood, the artists I’ve looked up to haven’t been writers and illustrators, but mostly musicians. Music provides me the most emotional effect and excitement. If there was no music, I don’t think my creative juices would boil. Music is that important to my life.
- Ai Yazawa
I realized one day that there are hit songs with the same names as the main female characters, NANA, JUNKO, and SACHIKO (the kanji for JUNKO is different, though). It’s not that big a deal, but I sometimes just hum the melodies longingly.
- Ai Yazawa
In the initial drafts, Nana’s band was a rockabilly band like the Stray Cats. But due to various circumstances, I didn’t keep it that way. But if they were rockabilly, Ren, Nobu and Shin would have had pompadours. And Yasu too?
- Ai Yazawa
When I was a child, I used to take piano lessons. Even after I stopped taking lessons, I bought sheet music I liked and continued playing. I’ve had my hands full for several years now, but one of these days I’d like to learn how to play jazz piano, which I’ve wanted to do for years now.
- Ai Yazawa
I had an opportunity to interview a group of professional musicians. I showered them with questions, but they answered willingly, and it was very helpful. I was having problems balancing the fictional world of manga-like simplicity and gorgeousness with a sense of reality. But I realized again that what’s important is the humanity of the characters.
- Ai Yazawa
When I was in high school, there was a cool girl in my class who was a lone wolf. I was really into a foreign New Romantic-type band then, and when she asked me one day, “Do you want to go to their concert together?” I was overwhelmed. My heart fluttered more than when I was with my boyfriend (☺). Have you had a Hachiko experience like that? - Ai Yazawa
You can’t just continue to do this to me. I still can’t get over how amazing this is, but more importantly? I think this may be the first fic where I couldn’t stop smiling because of the author - knowing that it was you who was writing this. You’retoo cute. God, I can barely breathe right now because my heart grew ten sizes too big and I don’t know what I did to deserve you.
For you, dear anon! <3 Thank you for waiting for me to finish this, it took a while but I stuffed my whole heart into this. Don’t worry, it’s not just angst, there is some major fluff at the end. *wedding bells tolling in the background* I hope you enjoy!
He Tian raised
his fist, threatening and his eyes burning like black fire. Hate was oozing
from every piece of his body, nothing else mattered besides the feeling of loss
and regret. God, he was so fucking gone.
The other man
stared right back at him, sinister as the night and a cruel smirk adorning his
lips, wide and disgustingly wrong. Black strands of sweaty, bloody hair stuck
to his prominent high cheek bones and forehead, throwing dark shadows over the
top half of the face he loathed. He couldn’t stand it and rammed his hand into
the mirror, breaking it into thousands of pieces, destroying his own accusing
reflection, the last thing he wanted to see. A silent scream ripped his throat
like one of the glass shards, his whole body felt heavy, so heavy. His knees
gave in and he sacked against the wall, slowly sliding down at it, his cut hand
leaving bloody prints on the white tiles. As if he’d give a fuck.
His lips twitched
from holding back a laugh. There was nothing. The bathroom door was still open,
the house still empty and he was
Slowly, he leaned
his head back, staring at the ceiling.
father would have said. His brother would have said. And worst of all, if he would have witnessed him in this
godforsaken second, he would have
been of the same opinion.
It was his fault
and he deserved this, if he hadn’t just been that sure of himself. Not that
sure of his strength. Not that sure that everything would stay within his
control. Not that convinced of his options to work out as planned.
I told you we couldn’t do this anymore because in that moment I was trying to protect myself.
But the minute you said you were hurting
I did a complete flip and came right around.
I really shouldn’t have.
Now you know how much you mean to me
Now you ignore me
Now you don’t care
I should just stick to what I know
The value of a human decreases when their availability increases.
That’s basic Economics.
But how can I not instantly text back when all I’ve really been doing all day is waiting to hear from you.
How do I manage to be in this same fucked up situation every time?
Is there really nothing under this pretty paper I’m wrapped in that you like?
Can’t you see anything in me that you could possibly love?
7.2 billion people and more doesn’t mean you will definitely find someone to love you truly.
3.46 am doesn’t mean everyone is asleep
20 years old doesn’t mean healed
13,568 kilometres doesn’t mean too much distance, the unread message does.
Numbers definitely lie,
But so do words.
Hope - breeds eternal misery
Love - not for everyone
Pain - inevitable
Night - tears
Me - breaking
"Fluffybuns" could just refer to Asgore being a fluffy cinnamon roll. On the subject of nicknames, what about Sans' pet name?
Hey it could be! Maybe Asgore’s nickname is more innocent and we’re just the naughty ones.
As for Sans, we haven’t shown it yet (though it was and still is going to appear in the next comic) but Papyrus sometimes calls him “Bb” and River is to blame for that. When he was little, River would refer to him as “Baby Blue” due to his magic color and being their lil baby and it just sorta stuck. I mean…
Can you see why they called him that? Their Baby Blue~
Dings started calling him that and, while Pap has never said “Baby Blue,” he called him Bb for short. Eventually Tori, and a few others, will learn of this name and will abuse it. He’ll get an array of pet names from Toriel as they grow closer as well.
And we can’t forget the pile of strange and mostly inappropriate names Chara has for him. Bone Daddy being one of them. I could go down a list but then we would be here forever. This child needs parental help.
∠( ᐛ 」∠)_ Hey frog!!! I was the chubby Jolyne anon that got confidence from ur cute jojos awhile back, I’m so glad I came across your art without I wouldn’t have met such cool jojo peeps at the con and had such great fun! (I was really surprised at how many people asked to take my picture!)So thanks frog Keep on being great!!!! (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✨
OH MY GOD! YOU LOOK SO GREAT THAT COSTUME IS SUPER WELL MADE!! i’m so glad you had a good time!!!! you look amazing tysm for sharing these
Reasons Why I Can’t Watch 13 Reasons Why: A Discourse Open For Discussion On Both Sides
1. The scriptwriting is cliched. The teenagers act simply like a broken record. We can see these kids walking around schools just like ‘real life’. Except no molds are broken. Jocks are always girl-hungry and horny. Let’s not even mention how she says ‘you are like an actual nerd’. For saying something about Star Wars. We have 2 gay people, but that only leads to Reason 2. The story is writen in such a way that it sounds like either a melodrama or a cheesy high-school movie from the 90s-early 2000s.
2. Diversity seems more as a token aha moment, then to actually be a part of a genuine discussion as to everyday vocabulary that can be a target to minorities. I constantly hear people calling people ‘gay’ or a ‘f*g’ or ‘queer’ with no context whatsoever. With gay characers, especially (from what I have read since I couldn’t get the past few episodes) since one commits suicide. They could have a discussion about minorities and how they are harmful to life. We could talk about trans kids, who have the highest suicide rate and how transphobia is in everyday lives. Racism, we could go down the list. Instead of focusing on how words can affect all people, we see how it affects her. The diversity in the show is killed off, again showing something that is common and yet we can’t discuss events relating to self-deprication in high-schools. There was a perfect opportunity to mention how school administration can also be culprits of homophobia in schools.
3. It seems to dramaticize a horrific event. We get 13 hours of material to act as a mystery as to why this happen. But that’s the entire point of suicide isn’t it? The horrific part of suicide is that we won’t be able to hear what the victim says. We will never know ‘13 Reasons Why’ the suicide occurred for people but somehow, we get an entire story as to why it happened. We dramaticize something horrific for entertainment purposes. The suicide is only a means of suspense. In medias res, we jump into the story and don’t know how it happened. And yet the story teaches us that we can. It is important to show empathy, but does it also need to be written in such a way? Do we have to see that death scene for 3 minutes? Not sugar-coating is something I am all in for, but it sugar-coats the entire story in naive hope that we will know everything that a person felt when they killed themselves. And unfortunately, for everyone that kills themselves, we won’t get to know what is exactly in their minds except for a letter at best. There isn’t just 13 reasons. There’s infinite amounts of discouragement and hurt + 1 - yourself. And yet it doesn’t want to discuss that part of it as seen in reason 4.
4. It doesn’t touch upon mental illnesses at all. Not once do we get the words uttered. It a personal struggle to do as such. It is fighting demons, it is a constant battlefield for yourself. Yet, you don’t see that aspect. You don’t hear her feel like she is fighting herself. The people are always the targets. And while bullying and rape is something needed to be spoken about, we also need to disable ableism into thinking that mental illnesses don’t exist. Depression, anxiety is thrown around all the time, as if that is something to equate to yourself.The ‘kys’ jokes are always around and circling and never seems to stop. We see these awful signs of mental illness everyday and yet, we neglect to realize that the main character herself has depression. We didn’t get to see that barrier of ‘I am simply upset about everything around me’ or ‘I don’t feel anything’. Sometimes its crying in your bed at 3am because you realize that you really don’t matter to yourself. Its terrifying, yet we don’t show that reality for people struggling with such thoughts are more than simply stuff that other people said - it’s fighting yourself as well.
5. Romanticization. We see at the end that the main character is simply a crush of hers and she regrets not spending more time of him! It is not only awful writing that you can smell away, but it also romantcizes that perhaps that if they got together that it would eliminate all problems. You can’t love someone out of a mental illness and while this was touched upon, people in the 13rw fandom keep going about how they were star-crossed lovers. The problem is, that the story relies on this budding romance as a climax as well. We realize that there is a romance that could of happened. And I hate that it is seen as something that could have cured anything when she was alive. The pain is still there. Raw and powerful and yet we see that pain being overshadowed with angst. Love is definitely encouraging for healing, yet it never really touches upon that as to much as how it could have helped her.
Just an afterthought: This show is being thrown around with ‘I can’t believe how much words can affect someone’. I am wholeheartedly disappointed that it takes a show with relatively attractive, white, abled, straight, cis characters to make someone realize this. Yet I know many of the people I have gone to school with do not even apply this to their everyday lives. They still are harmful, as much as the show brings to light attention of issues, these are the same people that will make harsh words to others. It only perpetuates self-awareness for a while before people simply forget about the message. That or the message is scewed in such a way to only apply to people they deem as such. A show has a responsibility to bring light to situations, yet now it’s a ‘binge-worthy’ show. I hate that word for this, why is it so entertaining for someone to kill themselves? It seems like once you show some melancholy moments in someone’s life do people feel sorry. ‘People only care when you are dead’ is the message of the show and yet it does exactly that. People would much rather watch a girl narrating killing herself than her story ending with her killing herself. Frankly, maybe we would be shocked. It tells a lot about our society today.
i dead been trying to figure out how to do transparent/glass objects for like 2 months now and i can’t. like i’ll try for 2 mins and nothing works and then i give up again until another 2 weeks or so.
the alpha is so confusing to me like idk how to make it look like how it’s suppose to. and everyone i’ve asked doesn’t know either though. who knows how to make glass/transparent objectssssss?? if you do i’d love you forever if you can lend a handddddd or maybe some advice pleaseee and thanksss.
posted a chat post about Licht having a playground crush on Hyde and expressing
it in the worst way. I liked the idea that wrote a little AU on it.
what did I say about fighting with your friends?” Mahiru lightly lectured the
middle schoolers and the two boys mumbled a half-hearted reply. Licht had his
arms crossed and his lips were set in a stubborn line. Beside him, Hyde had an
equally defiant expression. Mahiru had to sigh at the two. Never in his life
had he known two children that fought as much as Licht and Hyde did.
not my friend.” Licht said and threw Hyde a scowl. A fire sparked between them
and Mahiru quickly intervened before they could fight again. Even though Mahiru
was only a volunteer, he was often called upon whenever the two fought because
he was the only person that could deal with them. He placed a hand on both of
their shoulders and spoke softly to them.
two are classmates at least. If you two have a disagreement, you should use
your words to work it out. You’ll never solve anything if you’re too busy
fighting with each other. Now, tell me what this is all about and we’ll find a
solution together.” Of course, that was easier said than done because the two
immediately started screaming over each other.
stole my crayons!” Licht cried. “I was using them and he took it from my hand
belong to the class!” Hyde was quick to shoot back. “And you just hogged them
is about crayons?” Mahiru groaned but he tried to keep his voice calm. “Licht,
you need to learn how to share. Those crayons are for everyone to use. Hyde,
you cannot take things without asking. Even if he said no, there are a lot of
crayons in the bin and you could’ve found another colour.”
heard the door open behind him and he turned to see a man enter the small
classroom. He recognized Kuro easily because he picked up his brother whenever
he got in trouble— which was very often. Hyde grinned widely when he saw his
older brother and ran into his waiting arms. He stuck his tongue at Licht from
the safety of Kuro’s arms. “I get to go home first. I win.”
deal.” Kuro sighed when Licht tried to kick Hyde and Mahiru had to hold him
back. He turned to Mahiru and bowed slightly to him. He forced Hyde to lower
his head as well. “Sorry about my brother, Mahiru. I’ll have Wrath talk to him
when we get home.”
you should talk to him. Hyde loves
you and respects you so you may get through to him.” Mahiru suggested and Kuro
didn’t look convinced.
this little troublemaker loved me, he wouldn’t get into fights so I can stay
home for once.” Kuro pointed out and playfully ruffled Hyde’s hair. The small
boy puffed his cheeks at his brother’s teasing and tried to mess up Kuro’s hair
in revenge. Mahiru had to smile at their banter because it was blatantly clear
that they loved each other.
complain about having to pick me up but you love seeing Shirota-sensei! You
should be thanking me—” Kuro quickly covered his brother’s mouth and tried to
salvage the situation.
things kids say these days!” Kuro laughed shakily with a blush. Mahiru nodded
in agreement and giggled. Seeing his smile, Kuro’s heart jumped a little and he did the only thing one could do in that situation. He ran. Still covering Hyde’s
mouth, he turned away and said over his shoulder. “Well, we need to get going
before Hugh starts to wonder where we are. Bye, Mahiru.”
waved bye to the pair before he turned back to Licht who was sulking. He knelt
in front of him so they were eye levelled with him. “I’m sure your mother will
be here soon. Do you want to do something while we wait for her? We can finish
colouring that picture you were making for her. Hyde’s not here to steal your
crayons so you’ll be able to get it done.”
nodded and ran to his desk to take out his drawing. His parents were often busy
because they were famous performers. They loved their son but their jobs didn’t
allow them to be with him as much as they wanted. Mahiru would often stay
behind to watch over Licht. He sat next to Licht as best as he could in the
small chair and looked at his drawing. “That’s a handsome angel. Your mom will
love this picture of you.”
is me.” Licht beamed, happy that Mahiru quickly recognized what he drew. He
tapped a doodle in the corner of his picture. “And I’m protecting Mr. Kitty
from this demon.”
That looks an awful lot like Hyde.” He frowned but Licht innocently nodded.
Mahiru knew that boys often fought with each other when they were young but he
couldn’t let them continue. “Licht, why can’t you try to be friends with Hyde?”
his face is stupid and it makes me feel weird.” Licht told him but Mahiru
noticed the small blush he had on his face. “He’s just dumb in general. Remember
the time I fell and hurt my knee? He hugged me instead of getting you. Somehow,
he made my stomach feel weird like there were butterflies. He made me eat
butterflies! I don’t know how but he did.”
didn’t feed you butterflies.” Mahiru couldn’t help but laugh. It was obvious
that Licht was experiencing his first crush but he was too young to understand
his feelings. He also concluded that Licht was one of those kids that picked on
their crushes without knowing better. But Mahiru knew that it would be best to
curb that behaviour. “I think Hyde was trying to comfort you.”
was?” Licht looked up at him but then shook his head. “But he’s a demon.”
you want to know how to purify a demon?” Mahiru whispered, as if he was about
to divulge a secret, and Licht listened intently. “All a demon need is
friendship and kindness. How about you try to get along with Hyde from now on?
I’m sure you’ll become close friends. Of course, that will mean no more fighting.
An angel and a reformed demon will make a great team, don’t you think?”
It is my duty as an angel to purify demons.” Licht said tentatively and Mahiru
smiled knowingly. “But I don’t know if Hyde likes me.”
does.” Mahiru said reassuringly. “How about we start out with small steps? When
you get home, you should write him a letter telling him how you feel. It
doesn’t have to be long but you should be honest. If you feel shy about giving
it to him in person, you can leave it in his cubby.”
note…” Licht mumbled and then smiled. “I’ll tell him exactly how I feel!”
Hyde ran to Mahiru with a piece of paper clutched in his hand. He held it out to him and said, “I found this in my cubby today! I don’t know who put
think I have an idea.” Mahiru tried to contain his smile as he took the note
from Hyde. He was glad that Licht took his advice and wrote Hyde a note.
Hopefully, this would mean that they would stop fighting. But when he read the
note, his hopes were dashed.
I want you to get out
of my school.
no! This was pretty short but I had a lot of fun writing this. I was going to
make Lily the school teacher but he’s Hyde’s brother and would be bias to him.
And having Mahiru would let me insert some KuroMahi :P