On a scale of 1 to 10 how likely do you think is the possibility of Sheith being canon? - Sincerely, a very distraught Sheith shipper who doesn't know whether she should trust the overwhelming staff support for Sheith as something more or just bait.
oh i think theres a good chance actually! i wouldnt believe that if not for 1 korrasami and 2 the staff already voicing that lgbt representation is something important to them that they’d like to add. sheith has a lot of backing from staff, both the writers and vas. and its nice to see that, even with some fans demanding that staff stop “withholding information” and outright writing callout posts about even the showrunner and episode directors for supporting shieth, that they haven’t stopped. there seems to be this general sentiment that the staff owes those kinds of fans something when?? its the writers’ story not theirs? and im glad they’ve made it clear that they aren’t willing to compromise decisions they’ve already made in the writing to suit what’s popular (see: “space mom” allura).
so anyway: what’s done is done. and from what we have, i think season 2 basically establishes two potential love interests for keith: Shiro and allura. both are kinda unpopular with a lot of the fandom, but based on character interactions so far theyre the two that make the most sense to me. so anyway, i think that sheith has just as good a shot as kallura, which fans are already recognizing as something possibly romantic. There’s a bunch of parallels in their interactions i really like:
- shiro and allura are both represented as opposite sides of the scale in reaction to keith’s galra reveal. or, on a scale of allura to shiro, how well do you handle keith being galra after youve gotten close to him?
- they both hug keith goodbye in this private moment to see him off before a dangerous mission. these scenes also both relate to keith being galra—shiro showing his support immediately after bom, and allura apologizing for her (quite understandable) reaction
- both ships have an episode where they’re separated from the team and get a lot of one on one character development—see arc of traujeer and across the universe/blade of marmora
- keith is the one who reassures both shiro and allura that the team needs them–who would open wormholes? and Nothing is gonna happen
so anyway, in terms of which pairing i think is most likely, its either of those two, and id be happy with either ;; but some other things shieth has going for it:
- its the ship i can most easily see being lgbt representation
- they already have an established backstory, one that we havent even explored yet, and we know whatever happened it was monumental enough that keith says shiro literally changed his life
- shiro is the person keith most desperately wants to see. out of everyone, lying there dying on the floor, the person he wants is shiro. whether you see it as platonic or romantic, its obvious that 1 keith loves him and 2 shiro is the most important person in his life. he doesnt even stay for his dad, but he does chase after the fake shiro
- seems like theyre fated to keep getting separated and then reuniting, i dunno that seems pretty fairytale to me
- keith’s intro scene being his rescue of shiro. right when we first meet keith, we automatically associate him with shiro
- shiro wants keith to pilot black, and they already both share a mental link with her
- keith’s first and last lines right now are both “Shiro”
- shiro seeing keith’s hallucinations in bom is, to me, the most deeply interpersonal, intimate scene in the entire series. its one thing to talk to another character about your feelings, but its another to be right there with them in their head. shiro saw a part of him that i dont think anyone else ever will
- i talked about this in my hug post a bit but while keith kinda represents this galra side of shiro (he’s the right arm of voltron and shiro’s right arm is also galra) it seems like shiro represents keith’s humanity. keith is humanized by his compassion and vulnerability with shiro. shiro is basically shown to be the one thing tying keith to earth–his family was gone, and he really had no other friends. he was lost without the garrison. after shiro was taken he had nothing left. he’s one of the only paladins who never expresses being homesick. Whatever good memories he had of earth, im guessing shiro was a big part of them. and shiro is the one there when keith finds out he’s galra, is the first one to reassure him.
- they mirror each other in a lot of their scenes
- seems to get a lot of staff support
anyway i think it has a pretty fair shot, but that’s just my take on it. as for queer baiting in general, im already seeing people talk about that, but like…we’re 24 or so episodes into a 78 confirmed episode series. major ships aren’t gonna be cannon for a while now, so i think its best to wait a little and give some more time for relationships to develop. korrasami wasnt even a thing until the very end. and while i dont think that will be the case here, i think we just need to give it a little more time. id like to believe theyre sincere about lgbt representation, and would rather them take their time to develop it properly than get something just thrown together and feel like my identity was just reduced to a stereotype