I was born a natural born empath as was my mom. When you tell people what it is, they often first talk about how cool it is and how you could see if someone likes you or how you can tell if someone is lying to you. However, those points are not necessarily true and being an empath can truly be a double-edged sword. Us empaths are often over-sensitive to certain stimuli and it can be 100% confusing. Growing up, I wish I had known some methods to help.
So here are some tips for Empaths:
- Avoid crowds when possible. Tons of people and their influx of emotions will surge your senses.
- Look up movie summaries (if you are okay with potential spoilers) before going to see any to know if there is any tragedy or gore.
- Use x-kit’s blacklist function if news of tragedy that circulates through tumblr becomes too much.
- Mindless games are a great distraction and way to occupy your mind over something else
- Meditation helps with sorting out which emotions are yours and which are not.
- Try this grounding ritual: Visualize a light surrounding you. It’s keeping you in and everything out but comfortable. Then imagine roots coming out of you. Imagine them going into the ground and holding place. Feel how strong the roots are with holding you to the ground. No wind or force can easily push you over.
- Learn how to block out emotions. I imagine a bubble around me when I go out. Everyone has different methods.
- Keep a journal or at least write somewhere to help you sort things out or to reference to later
- REMEMBER: IT IS NOT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY\YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO HELP EVERYONE. IT IS LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE and can be detrimental to your health