You like a language, learn it. Don’t give up on learning it only because it’s not popular, “useful” or your friends don’t like it.
Sticky notes, sticky notes everywhere. If you can’t remember a grammar rule or a word/structure, use sticky notes.
Study daily, even if it’s for 5 min or less.
Learn the first 100-300 most common words, they are like everywhere.
Duolingo, Memrise and Forvo are the holy trinity for every language learner; everyone uses them at some point.
HiNative will save your ass when you have questions.
“Hakuna matata mais quelle phrase magnifique” Disney is your friend, sing disney songs to improve your pronuniation.
Also, watch disney movies. You know the story already so you can focus on the language.
Watch movies with subs in your target language.
Write daily a short text about whatever you want, even about your socks. In 1 month you’d have learned a lot of new vocab.
Talk, talk, talk. If you aren’t a soial person, talk to yourself, to your pet, to a wall; it doesn’t matter. Just force yourself to think in your target language.
If you are busy, Semper is a good app for learning vocab while doing your daily activities.
Use your target language for basic stuff like counting, groceries, complaining etc.
Change your settings on social media. Many people learned English through twitter, facebook, tumblr etc. This can work for other languages too.
Change the settings of your phone too. You use it 24/24, you know what every thing does there so you could learn the name of those setting in your target language.
If you lost motivation, take a break and remember why you started.
If you hit a plateau, that’s most probably because you don’t know enough vocab.
Understand that your progress will be slow after a while. Accept it and keep going.
Lang-8 is a great place if you want natives to correct your texts.
Langblr community is amazing, if you need any advice/explanation, ask a langblr.
Try out many resources but choose a handful that you’ll use daily.
If you don’t know a word in your native language, you don’t need it in your target language.
Accept the fact that you can’t translate every word one by one. There are special structures, word order, particles etc. your target language might not be as your native one.
If you’re bored, look around and name in your target language what you see.
Try to find a language/motivation partner. You will support and help eah other.
You’ll make mistakes, love that! That means you’re learning and you’ll have funny stories to tell in a couple of years.
If you don’t remember a word, make a mnemonic or write it with your other hand; you’ll focus more then.
Learn words in context; you’ll remember them easily after. Clozemaster and WordBrewery are 2 great sites for this.
When you want to read if you are a beginner, choose a book you know. If you are an advanced learner, choose a new book.
Find online a native to talk to. Tumblr is full of natives and langblrs will love to help. Another choice is to find a chat group.
For slang words check out the youtube comment section. Twitter is a good alternative though.
Don’t waste money on fancy programs. Some can be found for free and some aren’t so good as they claim they are.
When you learn a new word, try to make a couple of examples in your head.
Read articles. They use simple structures and actual expressions; also, they aren’t boring.
Youtube is your friend, don’t be afraid to use it. Watch movies in your target language so you can get used to how real people talk; most programs/apps speak slowly and they try to make themselves clear but that’s not real life.
You’ll have an accent; don’t worry, it will go away after a while.
Age doesn’t matter, everyone can learn a language; you can be 5 or 50, the only difference is how you learn.
Don’t just learn, revise as well.
As a beginner you will translate everything from your native language and that’s okay. People will correct you and you will learn.
If you like to read fanfiction, read it in your target language and use the ReadLang extension when you don’t know a word; it’s faster than google translate.
Beware of those vocab lists you see on tumblr. Not everything might be right.
Flewent is an extension that translates a certain % of what you read in your target language. It’s a fast way to learn new words while doing your homework or whatever.
Prepositions are a nightmare to everyone. To have a more pleasant life, try to find a list with verbs and what prepositions they require.
Children songs are catchy, use them to learn vocab faster.
Pay attention to false friends. They might look the same with a familiar word but they have another meaning.
Try not to learn 2 languages at the same time, especially if they are from the same family. (e.g. French and Spanish)
If you decide to study 2 languages at the same time, try to study in different places and use different colors for your notes.
You learn faster if you use your target language than if you learn Nth vocab lists.
Try to avoid making the same mistake until it becomes a habit.
Idioms can impress anyone but don’t start learning them too early or too late.
If you have to learn irregular verbs, try to find patterns and part them in groups.
Hard work beats talent but when it comes to learning a language, there’s no one who has talent. There are people who have a good memory or can figure out patterns but that can be improved so no need to worry if you progress slowly.
Don’t compare yourself to someone who studied a language for years. Everyone progresses in their own way.
Everyone has another method, if it doesn’t work for you, it’s not the end of the world. Just experiment and figure out what works for you.
Classes are a waste of time, don’t think to pay for one.
Try to learn vocab that interests you. You’re a Harry Potter fan? Learn magic terms. You like cooking? Learn cooking terms. etc.
Flashcards are a nice way to learn vocab. Make some and study them before going to bed.
Learn chunks of vocab, not single words. (e.g. Buy a bottle of milk; Brush your teeth; Wash the red car.)
Use the diglot weave technique. Basically you
insert foreign words into a sentence of a language you already know
Taking breaks is fine but try not to take a break of Nth months.
Decide what skill you want to improve first. You can never improve everything equally so try to focus on what you need/want the most.
Set a big goal (e.g be advanced in French) but remember to have small goals too. (e.g. read Harry Potter by the end of this season)
Watch people talking. Join a chat and “spy” others if you don’t feel like talking yet.
Associate word - image - sound. Don’t just learn plain words, if you learn the word for tree, think of a tree or search an image with one.
Learning a language takes time, don’t expect to know it perfectly after only 1 week.
Immersion is hella frustrating but it pays off in the end.
Don’t study when you are too tired. You have many chances to learn nothing then.
Find someone you admire so they can motivate you.
Use a bilingual dictionary not only for finding specific words but just for the sake of reading.
After you’ve read 1 page/chapter from a book, try to make a summary in your target language.
When you read books, try to see if you can find the audiobook as well. (Youtube might have it) In this way you know the correct way of saying certain words.
Try to make it fun. If it’s fun to have a schedule do that, if you enjoy more watching movies, do that. Don’t make your learning journey a burden.
Break study time into smaller chunks
Know your learning style.
Try to have a notebook/diary/agenda where you write down what you did daily to improve.
When you feel like giving up, think how many new stuff you have learned.
Your attitude plays an import role. Try to avoid thinking how “difficult” a language is, instead think how good you will feel after you learn it.
ReadLang and Linguarana have videos with subs in many languages, if you like learning with videos, give them a try.
Anki is an amazing app with flashcards for several languages so you don’t waste time making them and they have a daily limit of cards so you don’t burnout.
Physically writing down a word can help seal it in your memory.
Say new words out loud and pay attention to your pronunciation.
If your target language has another alphabet or a writing system, don’t be afraid to learn it. Take a couple of days and master it.
Always have an app or a dictionary/notebook with you. While you wait for a taxi you can study a bit.
If you don’t understand a grammar rule, search some articles about it, take 2-3 days to understand that concept.
when i say, “fuck you, staff” theres no playful hyperbole in that statement. its not something thats part of such a “quirky” website that we have this sort of semi-serious dislike for them but they can play along. fuck you staff, seriously. fuck you for letting nazis stay on while, either willfully or through sheer incompetence, which, to be fair, could be 50/50 based on how badly you run the rest of this website, censoring totally benign lgbt content. fuck you, staff. fuck you a lot
1. What have you eaten today?
2. Who was your last kiss with? Was it pleasant?
3. What color shoes did you last wear?
4. Who has made you laugh the hardest in the last week?
5. What is your favorite scent?
6. What is your favorite season? Why?
7. Can you do a handstand or cartwheel?
8. What color are your nails?
9. If you had to get a tattoo on your face to save your life, what would it be?
10. What is something you find romantic?
11. Are you happy?
12. Is there anything in particular making you happy or sad?
13. Dogs or Cats?
15. Which do you prefer:a museum, a night club, the forest or a library?
15. What is your style?
16. If you could be doing anything you like right now, what would it be?
17. Are you in a relationship or single?
18. What makes you attracted to the person you like right now?
19. If you could replace your partner/best friend with a celebrity of your choice, would you? Who with?
20. Are you holding on to something you need to let go of? If so then what?
21. How did you celebrate last Halloween?
22. Have you recently made any big decisions?
23. Were you ever in a school play?
24. What movie would you use to describe your life?
25. Is there something you have dreamed of doing for a long time? Why haven’t you done it?
26. Complete this sentence, “I wish I had someone with whom I could share…”
27. What are two things that irritate you about the same sex?
28. What are two things that irritate you about the opposite sex?
29. What is the best thing that has happened to you this week?
30. What is something that makes you sad when you think about it?
31. How long was your longest relationship?
32. Have you ever been in love?
33. Are you currently in love?
34. Why did your last relationship end?
35. What jewelry are you wearing right now, and where did you get it?
36. When was the last time you cried and why?
37. Name someone pretty.
38. What did you receive last Valentines Day?
39. Do you get jealous easily?
40. Have you ever been cheated on?
41. Do you trust your partner/best friend?
42. Ever had detention?
43. Would you rather live in the countryside or the city?
44. What do people call you?
45. What was the last book you read?
46. How big of a nerd/dork are you?
47. What kind of music do you listen to?
48. How tall are you?
49. Do you like kids?
50. Favorite fruits?
51. Do you wear jeans or sweats more?
52. What’s your earliest memory?
53. Ever had a poem or song written about you or to you?
54. Do you prefer to be behind the camera or in front of it?
55. Do you have a collection of anything?
56. Do you save money or spend it?
57. What would your dream house be like?
58. What top 5 things make you the angriest?
59. What top 5 things always brings a smile to your face?
60. You are walking down the street on your way to work. There is a dog drowning in the canal on the side of the street. Your boss has told you if you are late one more time you get fired. What do you do?
61. 72: You are at the doctor’s office and she has just informed you that you have approximately one month to live. a) Do you tell anyone/everyone you are going to die? b) What do you do with your remaining days? c) Would you be afraid?
62. Give me the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word; heart.
63. You just got a free plane ticket to anywhere. You have to depart right now. Where are you gonna go?
64. Do you like the beach?
65. Ever sleep on the couch or a bed with someone special?
66. Do you have a middle name? If so what is it!
67. Do you talk to yourself?
68. Describe your hair.
69. What is the meaning of life.
70. What is your ideal partner like?
71. Do you want to get married?
72. Do you want to have kids?
73. Like or dislike your family?
74. Are you Chunky or Slim?
75. Would you consider yourself smart?
76. What would you change about your life?
77. Religious or Not?
78. You’re drunk and yelling at hot guys/girls out of your car window, you’re with?
79. You’re locked in a room with the last person you kissed, is that a problem?
80. Does anyone regularly (other than family) tell you they love you?
81. If the person you wish to be with were with you, what would you be doing right now?
82. So, the last person you kissed just happens to arrive at your door at 3AM; do you let them in?
83. Do you like when people play with your hair?
84. Do you like bubble baths?
85. Have you ever been pulled over by a cop?
86. Have you ever danced in the rain?
87. Do you trust anyone with your life?
88. What was your first thought when you woke up this morning?
89. If money wasn’t an issue, what top 10 places would you travel to? (You get to stay at each place for a week)
90. How was your day today?
91. Play an instrument?
92. Describe the what you think of the ocean.
93. Do you believe in aliens or ghosts?
94. Honestly, are things how you wanted them to be?
95. Do you have a mean bitchy scary side?
96. When are you vulnerable?
97. How much free time do you have?
98. Do you like to go hiking?
99. Odd or Even Numbers?
100. Would you ever go sky diving, bungee jumping , cliff diving, wing suit gliding, parasailing, snorkeling, or other extreme activities?
ok, send me a question and your answer to that question in regards to your crush or significant other then i’ll answer about my crush (bc don’t we all just wanna talk about our people??)
1: Do they drink coffee? 2: Are they left or right handed? 3: How do they do their hair? Facial hair? (If they have it) 4: What’s their favorite animal? 5: What is their relationship status? 6: What is their favorite band/singer? 7: Are they more a cat or dog person? 8: What does their laugh sound like? 9: Do they know multiple languages? Which ones? 10: How old are they? How old are you? 11: One word that describes them. 12: Do they have any pets? 13: What is their favorite TV show? 14: What is their favorite movie? 15: What car do they drive? 16: What ethnicity and/or nationality are they? 17: Where did you meet them? 18: What was your first meeting like? 19: What is their zodiac sign? Are your signs compatible? 20: What month is their birthday? 21: What is your favorite outfit on them? 22: Are they good texters? 23: Your favorite feature about their appearance. 24: Your favorite thing about their personality. 25: Do they make you laugh? 26: Do you make them laugh? 27: Are they good huggers/ kissers? 28: What is your favorite “flaw” that they have? 29: Are they nice to strangers? 30: What is the funniest thing they have ever said? 31: Saddest? 32: Weirdest? 33: Cutest? 34: Ever dreamt about them? What happened in the dream? 35: How tall are they? How tall are you? 36: Do they have a booty? 37: What are their hobbies? 38: What are their talents? 39: What would your dream date be with them? 40: Does anyone know about your crush/love? 41: What do you guys have in common? 42: Do they go to the gym? 43: Do they go by their given name? 44: What is their favorite color? 45: How far apart do you live from them? 46: What song reminds you of them? 47: Do they listen to a lot of music? 48: What do they smell like? 49: If they were in a book (protagonist or antagonist or supporting character, up to you) how would the writer describe them? 50: How often do you see them? 51: The last text/ message they sent you? 52: The last thing they said to you in person? 53: What is the most embarrassing thing that’s happened to you in front of them? 54: Do they have any tattoos or piercings? 55: What color are their eyes? 56: What is their clothing style? 57: What is one thing that makes them really special? 58: Will you tell your crush your feelings? 59: How long did you know them before you started falling for them? 60: Was there a defining moment when you knew you liked them?
Send me some! 1. First console you’ve ever owned? 2. First game you played? 3. Favorite childhood game? 4. Longest consecutive hours you’ve played a game? 5. Game with the best soundtrack? 6. An underrated game from within the last few years? 7. Most disappointing game you’ve played? 8. The game with the best atmosphere/scenery? 9. Last game you played? 10. Prefer PC or console? 11. Have you written any fanfic or made any fanart? 12. Most bizarre game you’ve ever played? 13. Scariest game you’ve played? 14. Do you watch playthroughs online? 15. Favorite animal in a video game? 16. The best year in gaming you’ve experienced? 17. Have a video game themed background or lockscreen? 18. Worst game you’ve played? 19. Hardest game you’ve ever played? 20. Favorite publisher and/or developer? 21. If you had to play one game for the rest of your life, what would it be? 22. If you could turn one game into movie, which would it be? 23. Favorite genre of video game? 24. Ever cried because of a video game? Which one(s)? 25. Proudest accomplishment in gaming? 26. How often do you play online? Co-op? 27. Have you gotten any friends into gaming? 28. Who got YOU into gaming? 29. Watch cutscenes or skip them? 30. On average, how long does it take you in the character creation screen? 31. Game with the best theme song? 32. Do you cosplay? 33. Favorite female npc? 34. Favorite male npc? 35. Best protagonist? 36. Best antagonist? 37. Ever been made fun of for playing video games? 38. Have you tried a game, hated it, then tried again, and loved it? 39. Do you play for achievements/trophies? 40. Favorite voice actor? 41. Gone to a midnight release before? 42. A game you will never forget (in a bad OR good way)? 43. Favorite sidekick or companion? 44. Do graphics matter? 45. Do you like funny or more serious games? 46. Always, sometimes, or never use subtitles? 47. First person or Third person? 48. A game you’ve always wanted to play but have never gotten to it? 49. A game you haven’t played in forever, but want to replay? 50. How many games to do you own? 51. First character you’ve had a crush on? 52. A game you will always stand behind, and support no matter what? 53. Your most immersive game? 54. A sequel you really want? 55. How much time, on average, do you play in a week? 56. Do you tell people irl that you play video games? 57. What is an overrated game you’ve played? 58. Ever have someone walk in on a sex scene between you and you LI? 59. A game you are looking forward to this year? 60. The game you are best at? 61. A game you know everything about? 62. Would you want to work with video games when you are older? 63. What’s a game that has inspired you? 64. Describe your favorite video game using only three words? 65. Any favorite screenshots of games? 66. Game with the yummiest looking food? 67. Most violent game you’ve played? 68. An older game that you’ve just recently gotten into? 69. Your first LI? 70. Do you play any mobile games? 71. A game you can’t stop talking/thinking about at the moment? 72. Have any guilty pleasure games? 73. A game with the best fandom? 74. Which game has the best lore? 75. Do you focus on main storyline/quest or do sidequests first?
More watercolor Iggys that I’ve clearly referenced off Promptographies! Although I get crazy nervous trying to capture his likeness, and even more so without the aid of an undo button, the process in it of itself is very therapeutic, especially after long days of horrid, unproductive meetings. T_T
timmy’s secret wish is the worst episode of fairly oddparents i have ever seen :’D - forget about chloe or sparky or season 10 - this is the one where it turns out that timmy is actually 60 years old and cheated his way into never having to let go of his fairies - which results in cosmo and wanda losing Poof.
Naturally, all of this ends with Timmy getting his fairies, Poof and his youth back, without any permanent consequences or punishment whatsoever.
"Back in my day we didn't have all these mental issues!"
Well yes you did, Karen. They were called “Problem children” or “retards” or “psychos”. The were thrown in institutions and treated like criminals, or beaten to curb their behavior, or publicly shamed as “dunces”. They lacked adequate healthcare and no one understood what was wrong with them. They wandered the streets while their families either struggled to take care of them or pretended they didn’t exist. I know because I have an aunt who grew up schizophrenic in the 50s. You think anyone really knew how to deal with her when she wandered away from home or said and did bizarre things? And then there was my uncle, likely suffering from PTSD caused by his military service when he threw himself over a waterfall.
The increased ability to identify and diagnose things doesn’t mean these things just started existing. I’m not saying society doesn’t tend to overdiagnose and overmedicate (if you raise your kid with absolutely no boundaries or discipline and they end up a horrible brat, that’s probably not because of some rare mental disorder so much as bad parenting), but stop dismissing every mental health issue as some newfangled millennial nonsense you don’t have to take seriously. And don’t let that mindset stop YOU from getting help if you need it.
1. What’s your favorite candle scent? 2. What female celebrity do you wish was your sister? 3. What male celebrity do you wish was your brother? 4. How old do you think you’ll be when you get married? 5. Do you know a hoarder? 6. Can you do a split? 7. How old were you when you learned how to ride a bike? 8. How many oceans have you swam in? 9. How many countries have you been to? 10. Is anyone in your family in the army? 11. What would you name your daughter if you had one? 12. What would you name your son if you had one? 13. What’s the worst grade you got on a test? 14. What was your favorite TV show when you were a child? 15. What did you dress up as on Halloween when you were eight? 16. Have you read any of the Harry Potter, Hunger Games or Twilight series? 17. Would you rather have an American accent or a British accent? 18. Did your mother go to college? 19. Are your grandparents still married? 20. Have you ever taken karate lessons? 21. Do you know who Kermit the frog is? 22. What’s the first amusement park you’ve been to? 23. What language, besides your native language, would you like to be fluent in? 24. Do you spell the color as grey or gray? 25. Is your father bald? 26. Do you know triplets? 27. Do you prefer Titanic or The Notebook? 28. Have you ever had Indian food? 29. What’s the name of your favorite restaurant? 30. Have you ever been to Olive Garden? 31. Do you belong to any warehouse stores (Costco, BJ’s, etc.)? 32. What would your parents have named you if you were the opposite gender? 33. If you have a nickname, what is it? 34. Who’s your favorite person in the world? 35. Would you rather live in a rural area or in the suburbs? 36. Can you whistle? 37. Do you sleep with a nightlight? 38. Do you eat breakfast every morning? 39. Do you take any pills or medication daily? 40. What medical conditions do you have? 41. How many times have you been to the hospital? 42. Have you ever seen Finding Nemo? 43. Where do you buy your jeans? 44. What’s the last compliment you got? 45. Do you usually remember your dreams in the morning? 46. What flavor tea do you enjoy? 47. How many pairs of shoes do you currently own? 48. What religion will you raise your children to practice? 49. How old were you when you found out that Santa wasn’t real? 50. Why do you have a youtube?
so some fun facts about working in carpentry (from someone in the field) that probably no one wants but could be fun for writing about julia and mags with:
it is so so important to maintain a positive relationship with your clients and that’s probably why mags is so proud of his rustic hospitality and wants to use it at every corner because your relationships and reputation is half the job
for one you get returning clients and tends to be the best and most reliable source of income and you also usually will end up getting gifts from them too which is, sweet,
if they’re doing pretty well off during a year i’m almost certain that they offer discounts for their services for the poorer members of raven’s roost, mangus in particular has a “doggy discount” that if they own a dog and they let it work with him they get a good discount
both of them (+plus stephen) are probably ambidextrous to a degree as when working on repeat projects, you tend to get really tired and sore and continue working until that arm gives out and then switch to the other to be able to continue working
going with that, you get paid by commission or project usually and so hypothetically you could pick up as many as possible (or as many as the union will allow) and probably will do that a couple times and you could literally blow out your entire body but be set for the year in a couple weeks
going with the stress on the body, the physical labor definitely means that they have bad knees and probably a bad arm as well not to mention if there is a lot of heavy lifting you can get multiple hairpin fractures along your spine and legs causing intense pain that cannot be treated
also if they’re working with saws (which i’m pretty sure trav did say were in the pocket workshop) then i have no idea why mags reacted so badly to losing a finger because everyone i have ever worked with has or has almost cut off their finger once a week
also you get a very high tolerance for pain (which probably helps mags as being a sword for hirer) like i have literally sliced my entire forearm open and just wrapped it up and continued working
since raven’s roost has a carpentry district, that most likely means that they have a lumber sister town that provides all of the resources
and again, going with the importance of rustic hospitality, if you’re friends with the lumber providers then you will get first pick on the quality wood and quality literally will save you days of work
if there’s a bad harvest one year then it will fucking suck because people don’t stop needing furniture or buildings and you as the carpenter have to pick up the slack for the shitty warped wood and most projects will take about double the time
woodworking is a skill trade and has to be learned over years so most likely by the time mags came along julia was already extremely skilled and is able to do commissions and bids on her own and has her own reputation in ravens roost (which…tbh mags could have very well apprenticed under her)
it is extremely hard to go from apprenticing one carpenter to another because even the basics get muddled with your own style to the point where most people measure in different ways and cutting something wrong (especially cutting it short) will waste so much material thus mags being brand new to apprenticing under stephen probably takes years while jules just laughs each time he fucks up a leg of a chair