Every time a post on queerplatonic relationships makes its way around tumblr, the comments are inevitably filled with a flood of “IT’S CALLED FRIENDSHIP” or “WHY DO YOU NEED A WORD FOR THIS.”
Do you honestly think society regards friendship as an acceptable substitute for romance and marriage? The thing is, most aros would LOVE if it could just be called friendship.
Because that would mean a world where:
- Friendships are considered equal to or sometimes *SHOCK HORROR* more important than romantic relationships. This is not an exceptional occurrence.
- Romantic partners know that they might not be their datemate’s Most Important Person and are not bothered by this.
- People commonly plan major life events around their friends up to and including housing, finances, employment, ect.
- It is common for people to be in their 30s, 40s, 50s, hell even old age having lived with friends that entire time and no one has ever asked them why they’re not married.
- It is common for people to have a committed lifelong partnership with their friend and no one bats an eye.
- Having a life friend is considered something that can be regarded as equally close to marriage. It is also taken just as seriously.
Until the day that those are true, friendship is unfortunately not an accurate word to convey the types of relationships we’re talking about.