How does adhd affect you? If you don't mind me asking. My friend he adhd and I want to be there for him.
Pretty much in the ways you’d expect tbh–
- Focusing on anything I’m not at-that-moment interested in is practically impossible.
- ^Especially if it’s reading large paragraphs of text, even if I am interested in the topic that kinda focus is hard.
- I have little to no perception of time 9 times outta 10.
- Talking to authority figures or about myself generally is not a fun time due to RSD.
- On focus again– on worse days I won’t be able to read/process the words I’m looking at on a page if someone’s talking in the room.
- More recently, the nonverbal bouts I’ve mentioned due to brain overload for one reason or another.
- My brain goes a mile a minute in a very roundabout and seemingly disconnected ways, so sometimes in conversation I’ll blurt out apparently totally unrelated things that I actually got to logically, just way too fast;
- My memory is terrible - like, good lord.
- It can be hard for me to focus on conversations / for people to get my attention if I see something interesting.
- Sensory overload– personally I got it whenever I used to go to church, for example, ‘cause there were so many sounds and sights and smells and you have to stay still and quiet throughout it but my brain was just freaking out internally the whole time. But anywhere with a lot of sensory things going on can set it off.
- Kind of sensory overload related (??)– sometimes my meter for conversation will hit rock bottom by the end of the day but somebody will still wanna talk and I’ll just be there flailing on the spot both physically and mentally ‘cause processing any more interactions just hurts.
- Stimming: it’s not something I realize much until I think about it, but for example; personally, at work I feel weird without my lanyard cause I’m used to the weight of it and tend to play with the keychains on it or pop my nametag in my mouth while I’m walking around – idk it’s kind of a grounding thing – kinda like those totem things in Inception, haha.
there’s probably stuff I’ve forgotten tbh (like I said; memory problems, lmao) but that list looks long enough – all these things obviously differ in intensity from person to person, but hopefully that gives ya some insight on what might be up for if ever your pal seems a bit off at all
(Y’all feel free to reblog this too btw, might help spread some understanding)