Saying Thank You to Sarah J Maas
If you can’t afford to go to one of SJM’s signings, or she’s not touring close to you, this is designed to be a chance to say thank you to her.
So for me personally, SJM’s books came at a time where their content saved my life, and continue to be something that helps me through the days from time to time. I know others feel similarly, or that they’ve found SJM’s books to be a major source of happiness/inspiration/etc in their lives.
So Sarah J Maas is doing a Fan Event on Wednesday November 22nd 2017, At Emmanuel Centre, Marsham Street, Westminster, London.
@abookandacoffee, @my-name-is-fireheart, and I are lucky enough to be attending this event, since we’ll be in London at a time. A random selection of participants will have the chance to go up and talk to Sarah.
I’m used to never being able to meet American Authors/Celebrities etc. because I live in the middle of nowhere, so for me this is an insane, impossible, fantastic opportunity. But you know, not everyone has this privilege to thank someone who’s helped them.
So this may sound cheesy as fuck, but we wanted to try and compile as many people as would like to enter’s letters/notes/fandrawings/etc to Sarah. The current plan is to print them out, bind them in a folder or book or something, and give it to her as a ‘from the fandom’ kind of thing. Of course, each ‘work’ can be signed by whoever wrote it. You can add your social media details to it if you’d like to!
The aim is that anyone who wants to can get to let Sarah know how much her work is appreciated. She’s been sick and had illness in the family, and still continued to give us content. So you know, if ever a ‘THANK YOU’ was appropriate for her, it’d probably be now.
Below I’ll list the current ‘rules’ for entries to keep everything positive, but here are the main details for how to ‘enter’ your submission to be printed in the final book:
- You can email it to the email I’ve set up for this at ‘email@example.com’. If you use this method, I will reply to let you know I’ve received the entry, and then again once it’s been checked over and made sure there’s nothing that could get her sued.
- You can post it here on tumblr, and tag me in it. Please MESSAGE ME/Send me an ask with a link just in case, because tumblr is a poo-bum sometimes. I’ll respond as soon as I’ve seen it, and again once it’s been verified.
- If neither of those work, you can message it to me directly! Or send it in an ask - if this is on anon however, it is up to you to check back to see that everything’s gone through a-okay!
ADDITIONALLY (For Those Attending The Event):
If you are attending this event and WOULD LIKE TO help out, please let me know. At the moment we have a 3 out of however many chance of being able to explain this to her. Hopefully we can drop it off to her regardless of if we get to go up to and meet her, but it’d be nicer if someone can go up to her and let her know in person WHAT it is. SO, if you are attending and would like to, if you get to go up to her, hand in the folder/book, please let me know either here or at the email! Closer to the event, I will message you about co-ordinating stuff at the event itself.
Rules For Works:
- No Fanfiction. SJM could get sued for reading our Fanfic so let’s not thank her with a court case, yeah?
- No hate speech. You can definitely say ‘I would love to see more lesbians in your work’ or mention a thing or two that you would like to receive more attention/improvement, but if the whole thing reads like an ANTI-SJM blog post none of us feel comfortable forcing that upon her.
- Nothing swearing heavy. I swear like a sailor but I don’t know how SJM feels about it so let’s keep it RELATIVELY clean (i.e. not every other word)
- No pornography. You can submit smutty artwork since I’m sure SJM of all people would appreciate a saucy Feysand scene, but nothing that would only be allowed in a porno (i.e. no downstairs ‘accessories’ if you catch my drift).
- I’m not setting a maximum word count, but I don’t want to print off 100 pages so let’s keep it to a couple or so pages maximum per person? Thanks.
Updates for this will be kept a track of under the tag ‘thankyousjm’. If anyone has any ideas on how to refine this, let me know, but this is aiming to be a chill, nice thing. I owe this fandom a lot for keeping me a happy chappy, so idk. It sounds SUPER CORNY and EW SENTIMENT but I wanted to help do a ‘give back’ thing so… yeah.
If you’re not interested in it but ARE a SJM blog, maybe consider reblogging it so people who might like to participate know about it? Idk, I just want us to be able to give SJM a HUGE book of thank yous so yeah that’s me being a sucker for cheese.