Justice League (2017) thoughts
I just got back from seeing Justice League (2017), and I have thoughts (in no particular order or ranking):
1. It was not as bad as I feared. It was not as good as I hoped either, but it was decent. I laughed some, I groaned some too, and some sequences were damn awesome.
2. You can tell what is a Joss Whedon scene (either written or directed), and what is Zack Snyder. This does not help the film, and is perhaps the cause of the unevenness. Joss’ characterizations don’t fit with what Zack has set up in previous films (and even if I wasn’t a fan of his characterizations, the inconsistency is more grating than grim!dark!Batman and brooding!Superman). And Joss’ characterizations tend to be typed, rather than nuanced–some of the lines characters would utter sound exactly like something a Buffy character or one of the Avengers would say, rather than something that Batman or Wondy would say.
3. Still, Diana is amazing and totally continues to kick ass! And I liked the takes on Aquaman, Cyborg (it may be the first time I’ve actually found myself really liking that character), and the Flash (and this was a major surprise, since the DCAU’s Wally West Flash will always be my fave).
4. I’m so glad they didn’t pull a Suicide Squad and oversaturate the movie with “modern” music–the two popular songs were used well
5. Speaking of music, I’m so glad Danny Elfman did the score (even though I like Hans Zimmer tremendously too)! The use of the 1989 Batman theme and the 1978 Superman theme were great little touches and complemented, rather than overwhelmed, the score. Bringing back Diana’s theme from BvS/WW was also a smart move.
6. The credit scenes (there are two: one mid-way, the other at the very end) are fantastic and totally worth staying for (the last one may have even raised my opinion of the movie)
7. I was worried, as most of us were, about the Amazon costumes and the changes we saw on the internet. I was therefore surprised that what looked like over half of the Amazons looked to be wearing their battle armor from WW, and those wearing the “bikini” outfits seemed to be not necessarily prepared for battle. I may be wrong about that last part, but I was preparing myself to see all the Amazons dressed in bikinis and such, and was therefore really happy to see that the armor that was so awesome from the WW movie was really prevalent (and that the Amazons continued to kick ass!).
Overall I liked the movie, with just some minor quibbles. The pacing and storyline were weak, and the first third of the movie is definitely a mess. They’ve gone too far with Batman in the other direction to make the character seem bizarrely off from his previous portrayals in this ‘verse (omg, he’s NOT supposed to read like Tony Stark/Iron Man!)–but considering I’ve hated grim!dark!Batman I guess I should take what I can get that’s away from that characterization (damn you, Frank Miller). Can we please give the ‘verse over to Patty Jenkins? I’m ready to see my DC superheroes beyond Zack Snyder’s vision (which always strikes me as very Watchman-esque to this day).