Please explain to my friend why malec is in love. Trying to prove a point. Love your blog btw ❤️
hey anon’s friend !!! i hope this is enlightening:
The little things:
- They give each other little gifts. See: the omamori charm Alec got for Magnus when they were in Japan
- They constantly want to impress each other and do The Most™️ to make the other happy. For example, Magnus name dropping famous people and complimenting Alec a lot. Also, their second date where Magnus literally takes him portalling around the world. Let’s not forget Alec is always shirtless around Magnus trying to impress him.
- They always boost the other up. See: “Magnus is quite magical” and “We have a Very Capable warlock for that.”
- They defend each other, no matter what. Like literally they first meet when Alec helps Magnus beat a circle member.
- They’re always such soft beans around each other. Magnus is so gentle with Alec and so smiley. Same goes for Alec !! *war flashbacks to Alec blushing around Magnus*
The bigger, more important things:
- Lets go back to the dark times when Alec was supposed to marry Lydia shall we? Magnus didn’t give up on him and told him multiple times that he’s dooming himself to a lonely, loveless marriage(“You’ll be lonely all your life, and so will she. Neither of you deserve it. And I don’t either.”). He saw that Alec was unhappy with the marriage and made sure Alec knew that he didn’t have to marry some girl he would never love just to restore his family’s honour (which was ruined by his own parents so). He fought for him. The line “Where’s the honour in a lie? What about love?” comes to mind. Magnus even showed up to the wedding, risking not only his place in the institute as a respected ally, but also his reputation. He stands there, with all his emotions out in front of everyone and just lets his eyes do the talking.
- Alec sees this and just the sight of Magnus stops him in his tracks. In front of everyone, he walks back down the aisle and kisses Magnus like his life depends on it. He knows how the community around him will react, but for once he puts Magnus before his duty and his family’s messed up honour.
- Lets not forget Magnus’ iconic line “For almost a century I’ve closed myself off to feeling anything, for man or woman. You’ve unlocked something in me.” This line is so important to me because here’s the thing. It’s extremely hard to open up to someone. But usually when you love someone, you feel safe opening up to them. I think that’s why Magnus feels so safe exposing emotions and memories he’s been hiding for so long to Alec. He talks about how he used to be suicidal, he talks about how Camille turned abusive, he even talks about how Alec himself makes him feel. Magnus loves Alec enough to unleash memories that hurt him terribly.
- Next !!! They’re always checking up on each other/each other’s wellbeing. For example, after Magnus heals Luke, Alec cleans up and asks Magnus if he’s okay. After Alec is possessed and kills Jocelyn, he goes to Magnus’ balcony and Magnus comforts him and makes sure he understands that he’s not to blame. Let’s not forget Magnus spending days by Alec’s side trying to keep him alive.
- Speaking of which, when it seems like Alec dies, did you notice Magnus’ face? He looked absolutely destroyed, like his heart had been ripped out of his chest. After days of trying, after days of begging Alec to wake up saying things like “I’m all out of answers” and even trying a kiss, he has to watch him “die” and Magnus just looks, ruined. He looks about ready to crumple onto the floor. That is the face of someone who lost a man he loves more than anything.
- Also, they would do anything for each other. See: Magnus defying Victor Aldertree in a time where downworlders aren’t even allowed in the institute. Also, Alec shooting Azazel for “Magnus” even though he knew it was a risk and he could get him angry and suffer is an example here.
- No matter what, they always try as hard as possible to have good communication. They know it’s important and they put everything aside to communicate properly. See: “When things get hard, don’t push me away” and “I won’t.”
- To me, loving someone means you’d put your pride aside for them. That’s what these two always do. Alec puts his pride aside to apologise multiple times and Magnus puts his pride aside to show Alec all of his emotions in the beginning of their relationship.
- They feel safe with each other. For example, “You shouldn’t be out alone, it’s not safe” and “I’m not alone, I’m with you, The High Warlock of Brooklyn.” It takes a lot too feel like you’re safe with someone, like they could protect you. Usually, I only feel safe with the people I love.
- Lets not forget that in times of danger and crisis the first person they think about is the other. When Jace accidentally activated the soul sword, Alec went mad trying to find Magnus. he was worried out of his mind and so was Magnus. They both couldn’t stand the thought of losing the other. And the relief on their faces when they found each other was so obvious.
- Speaking of which !! That leads me to my last point !! They literally said I love you !! And they’ve said it multiple times since. They love each other and its beautiful.