Some people disliked Hook back in season 2 but have seen that he’s changed. Others, mostly those who dislike that he’s in the way of one of their ships, have refused to acknowledge ANY growth on his part over the last 3 seasons.
No matter what he does they will view it through a negative lens:
- Hook doesn’t abandon her = he’s such a stalker
- Hook tries TLK = he’s a rapist
- Hook tells Emma she’s worth living for = he’s an addict
- Hook saves David’s life = he just wants to get into Emma’s pants
- Hook helps Henry feels connected to his dead father = he’s using the kid
- Hook gets a story line and helps someone = OUAT is onceuponahook
It literally doesn’t matter what he, or the writers, does - people are going to dislike him and try to turn it into a rape culture argument or say it’s abusive.
I don’t bother trying to convince those people otherwise. They aren’t looking for a rational discussion - they’ve made up their minds and aren’t going to change them - no matter what happens on OUAT.
They are allowed to dislike his character of course. But please don’t waste your time trying to understand their logic when it comes to their interpretation of his character in the present, because they are willfully ignoring canon story arcs, dialog, and character interactions when they form those opinions.