I’m going into this mostly blind, and want to be as spoiler free as possible, but I’ve still picked up some things about the story here and there. Mostly it’s a lot of out of context details with no real significance to me:
- I kinda know what trolls are. Like a lot of people, my first exposure to Homestuck was seeing roving bands of troll cosplayers with unsealed gray body paint. I know that they’re genderless, but that’s about it.
- I read the first few dozen pages of Homestuck once a couple years ago, so I know who John is, but that’s about all I remember. I never got out of John’s house, so I don’t think I really got into the meat of the story at all.
- I’ve seen people call Homestuck a modern creation myth, so I know there are some rather expansive themes to the overall story.
- I heard that the ending disappointed a lot of people.
- I can describe what a lot of characters look like based on fan art, but I don’t know who any of them are:
- There are the black and white wolf people with swords
- There’s a girl with dog ears
- There’s a guy with a blue shirt and a hammer
- There are two guys who wear awesome sunglasses and a lot of red
- There are a whole bunch of characters with a billiard ball theme
- One of the trolls has sunglasses and a walking stick, so I’m assuming they’re blind.
That’s just about all of the things I can be sure of. I picked up a lot of random tidbits on tumblr, but I have no idea what is and isn’t canon. Like I know Dave/Karkat is a popular ship (or at least it’s popular among the homestuckers I follow), but I don’t know who either of them are in the story, or if they actually have a romantic relationship.
Or with the trolls. If you showed me a police lineup of a bunch of troll characters, I couldn’t possibly tell you which ones were canon, and which ones were fan-made. Except for the one with the walking stick. I’ve seen a lot of fan art of that one, so I’m pretty sure she’s a real character.