@frantastically and i were talking about a couple of things in homestuck and started to realize this ongoing theme against sugar and sugar products, going through out the entire series:
- from the very beginning of the series John is immediately opposed to sweets like birthday cake even on his birthday because of his dad’s fanatic obsession with baking, to a point of filling the kitchen with more cakes and cookies and running back out of the house to go get more boxes of Betty Crocker boxed pastries.
- between scenes from WV and the trolls, we are introduced to the two Important Homestuck Sodas, Faygo and TaB. Faygo being the juggalo drink of choice is mostly looked over at first in favor of the more direct correlation of Sopor = Weed. TaB however is the drink of choice for WV and the Fuschia bloods, and while being described as notably sweet, TaB is famous for being one of the first diet sodas, and having no sugar in it.
- It’s even mentioned in Meenah’s story that the HIC produced TaB to compete with the subjugglator’s production of Faygo, and dispersed it to lower blooded trolls without actually telling them that the drink contained no actual sugar that Faygo would have. This is something that Meenah takes great pride in.
- Going Back To Faygo, it is later implied with Terezi’s duality to Rose’s storyline that Faygo and sugary soda is the troll equivalent to alcohol, as Karkat shows equal concern for Terezi’s soda problem as Dave does for Rose’s alcohol problem, and later Rose offers to form an AA like group with Terezi to address both of their substance abuse problems
- Sugar is brought up again with themes of substance abuse with the Tricksters. Calliope sees the lollipop juju and resulting sugar rush as a way to just have fun and not think about your problems, and introduces it to her friends when they’re going through their worst drama. The alphas however, after a night of no impulse control and general debauchery, respond to being Tricksters and the juju with a hangover and vowing to never go through the experience again.
if Anyone can draw some sort of conclusion with this information I’d love to hear it? why is hussie so anti-sugar??
<b><p></b> <b><p></b> <b><p></b> <b>dirk strider:</b> (pouring day old, black coffee straight into his mouth from the coffee pot and eating a slice of bread)<p/><b><p></b> <b>dirk strider:</b> dave, you see i enjoy the finer things in life. i don't except less than the best.<p/></p><p/></p><p/></p><p/></p>