i. steps in no particular order:
- hold it snug in the the little burrow of arms & chest & lap
- curve your hand like you’re holding a heart
- press the strings until there are dents on your fingers and then press harder
- hook, drag, bleed, repeat
string snaps against wood
(difference in timbre adds colour to the soundscape)
good music embraces dissonance
iv. how much does it cost to restring?
something’s dripping onto the floor
(polyrhythm creates a good groove, keeps listeners interested)
if it hurts, you’re probably holding it wrong
vii. how long does it take to remove carpet stains?
- a study in instrumental methodology