Sanders Sides When Anxious (an analysis)
This is an analysis discussing anxiety symptoms as shown by the sides.
Logan: based off of when he figured out anxiety was gone, his behavior in anxiety’s room, and that one bit in losing my motivation where he kinda freaked out just a bit.
* talks very loud and fast and high pitched
– almost too difficult to understand. All the information is spilling out and when it gets really bad grammar kind of stops working. Right before they leave anx’s room he yells “Yerkes-Dodson” and points at the high side of the graph. He’s trying to convey ‘this is where we are,’ and basically everything Anxiety says, but he can’t because he’s too anxious. His mouth can’t keep up with his brain.
* Weird distracted 'dark’ tangents
– “tall enough to ride all the rides at Disney land unless you get decapitated riding small world” and “a snake devouring its own tail in order to satiate its hunger”, while not that dark, are apparently as dark as Thomas’ mind goes. When Logan is feeling anxious, he lets unpleasant thoughts spiral out of control.
* Movie references
– this is a weird one but after searching through all the videos I cannot find any other places where Logan makes any sort of references. I mean the closest we get is “elementary my dear – Daddy??? –no” in losing my motivation and that was half hearted and didn’t work out so well. After Anxiety disappears though he makes three. When he’s worried and Thomas isn’t listening to him he asks someone else to intervene. He seems to be having trouble getting his meaning across, so he resorts to saying “Flames, on the side of my face, seething, seeeething fire.” This is a quote from Clue (the movie based off the game). Later in Anxiety’s room, while trying to describe what Thomas is like without Anxiety, he can’t seem to make an accurate description, so he just calls Thomas a “cotton headed ninny muggins” which is from the movie Elf. Later when Patton shouts suddenly, Logan, startled, exclaims “E equals MC Scared!” Which just so happens to be the title of an epic rap battle of history. When Logan is upset and he can’t think of words he uses someone else’s. (*It should be noted that when he Patton and Roman left they imitated a song from the sound of music, but Logan didn’t initiate it and I would compare Logan’s interaction more to word association then anything else. He only said something because Roman said it first.)
He was also the first one to get eyeliner in Anxiety’s room. I think it was because he was already anxious about Anxiety not being there.
Roman: based off his behavior in Anxiety’s room and in Am I Orginial
* Loud high pitched voice and visible breathing
– he doesn’t talk fast but he gets high pitched and loud and yells a few times and sometimes you can see his shoulders moving up and down when he takes a deep breath.
* No self control
– He just says the first thing that pops into his head and does not stop. For example the creepy cookie rant. He can’t seem to find the breaks.
* Asking for reassurance
– When Patton asks about the eyeshadow Princeton says he didn’t apply it “But does it look okay? because a prince has to slay!” and after telling Virgil why he’s necessary he goes “Was that good? Did I do good?” Princey is usually telling the group how totally awesome and handsome he is. He provides these affirmations to himself most of the time. In Anxiety’s room apparently he has to ask the others instead.
* no creative insults
– he did not use a single nickname for Anxiety while in his room. Also near the end of Am I Original he said he was unable to come up with a harmful nickname for Anxiety right before having an emotional breakdown because he’s anxious about not being able to make good ideas.
Patton: based on time in anxiety’s room and the losing my motivation episode.
* He gets louder faster and more high pitched
– his speech patterns change just like Logan but not to the intensity of Logan. It doesn’t get to the point of screaming single phrases out. He just gets loud and high pitched.
* Much less of a doormat
– he made sure he was heard, even yelling over Logan when he had something important to say. He wouldn’t usually do that. Roman and Logan push him around a lot and he usually lets it happen.
* He’s very worried about everyone else
– “Do you have self esteem issues?” He’s concerned Roman has self esteem issues. “I don’t care how dark your clothes are, you shine! (Bright like a diamond!)” He’s worried about Virgil feeling bad. He also goes overboard trying to make Virgil feel better. I mean I love our dark strange son but “you could never be too much” is going a bit far. Patton doesn’t consider that though. He’s too busy trying to comfort everyone.
* More emotional than normal
– He very nearly cried because Roman said they were eyeshadow buddies. He has a lot of feelings. Nuff said.
Virgil: for someone who is the literal embodiment of anxiety he doesn’t really get anxious much (that the viewers can see and or are made aware of) he really causes it more. Maybe he’s just used to it. Anyway he appears anxious immediately before (like three seconds) and after (while he’s explaining why) he wants to be around Thomas’ friends more, and of course during his name reveal. He gets anxious when opening up.
* All the fidgeting with his hands
– he looks like he’s biting his thumbnail, he’s tapping his fingers, he’s touching his face and when his hands are off camera you can still tell from his arms he’s moving them around a lot. He doesn’t know where to put them and has a lot of nervous energy. During changes he reaches up to scratch his ear.
– He seems to be avoiding eye contact. He covers his face with his hands. He keeps looking at the floor. He glanced around the room quickly. He hunches his shoulders down a couple of times. Maybe he’s hoping he’ll sink into the floor. He doesn’t want to look at them and he doesn’t want them to see his face.
* He closes his eyes a lot
– a lot. The entire time he’s thinking about revealing his name and the entire time he’s explaining why he needs Thomas’s friends he keeps closing his eyes. And as he’s yelling “My name is Virgil” he closes them really tightly.
* Physical affects???
– I don’t know but a few of his facial expressions give me the impression he feels like he’s going to puke. Also between “Actually” and “on the subject of my name” he sticks his hands out and opens his eyes really wide, like he’s stabilizing himself. Like he’s dizzy. He swallows a lot to. Maybe his throat has gone dry? Maybe he’s trying not to puke? I don’t know. Anyways I’m pretty sure that he’s suffering more physically than the others are which I think kind of makes sense since he’s the physical embodiment of Anxiety.
* Blurting things out
– the big revelation, the thing he’s nervous about, that he wants to spend time with Thomas’ friends or that his name is Virgil, is very difficult so he says it very quickly and loudly and then glanced around waits for the others to attack him for it. He blurts out that he needs Thomas’ friends because Thomas seems mad at him and then he sighs and explains and you can tell he really regrets saying it.
– he says uh a lot and pauses and even stutters a teeny weeny bit. He’s trying to word it right but he can’t think fast enough. Kind of the opposite of the others. Also his voice is the only one that doesn’t get higher.
* Fight or flight
– After admitting his name he crouched down lowers and looks at each of the suspiciously. He is afraid. Flight or fight engaged.
As a final note when they were in Anxiety’s room all of them started to look more and more like him. It was just the eye shadow it was also the hair and they seemed to adopt some of his posture too.
It’s two am and I did this on my phone, please excuse any mistakes. I just got a bit into it.