Artists Self Rec Tag
When you get this, reply with your favourite five or so drawings, then pass on to about five other artists.
Thank you so much to the lovely @theysangastheyslew for tagging me. You have no idea how much I appreciate even being thought of.
idk wat im doing but here goes
1. La Reine - Obviously I’ll start with one of my latest works. I think this is the painting I am most proud of to date. I credit the composition to the great Alphonse Mucha, but I feel like the general concept is where I excelled. In both this piece and the next one, I wanted to portray the characters as persevering through their most vulnerable moments and standing strong as king and queen. The background (which got a little muddy in the painting process) is meant to represent Ishval on fire, which is Hawkeye’s greatest regret. Her wounds from the battle on the Promised Day show her determination. The salamander represents her connection to Mustang.
2. Le Roi - The companion piece to the above. I am actually not as happy with this one, even though I think I like the symbolism in the one more. I am more familiar with drawing female anatomy, so drawing Mustang’s body was more of a challenge. The color scheme also does not feel as cohesive. But I’m still proud that I managed to represent Roy’s low points by including Envy and his blindness, as well as his Promised Day wounds. The background depicts Roy’s door of truth and shows his connection to Riza.
3. The Thornybrush Ball - This is ancient, but it’s still one of my favorites. This is an illustration that I painted for an old friend’s poem. I used to be so good with traditional media, and I miss that. This one was made with watercolors and India ink. The perspective is a bit wonky, but I like the way I anthropomorphized the frogs and the detail in their textures. I think I managed to portray the drunken pompousness of the occasion very well. If I were to go back and change it, I might make the framing with the plants a little more dynamic and add more characters to show the extravagance described in the original poem.
4. Tracer Sketch - This one was really just a quick sketch, but I included it because it’s one of the only things I’ve drawn recently in my own style. I have this problem where I only emulate the style of my source material, such as my mimicking Hiromu Arakawa’s style when I was trying to do my FMA comic, or Alphonse Mucha for my art nouveau pieces. But this one was just me and my tablet without any references, and I think it shows the influence of Disney, anime, and classical artwork on my personal art style.
5. Olivier WIP - So I never even finished this piece, but I wanted to showcase it because I was very proud of the texturing of the cloth and fur in this painting. I was also practicing with color palettes, since I had a bad, lazy habit of throwing a multiply layer over the finished piece to create a unified color scheme. Although it’s not finished, I feel like I managed to create a cohesive color palette using only my eye. I still need to work on painting hair, though.
Aaaand I’m not tagging anybody because I actually don’t know that many artists here on tumblr and I’m super shy and have no friends and stuff, but if you’d like to do this meme, consider yourself tagged!