can you make a checklist on how to get into the gorillaz?? It seems like there is a lot out there and its hard to follow when i'm getting into it late.. thank you!!
Sure!!! I personally got into them by watching their G-bitez and music videos and it all kinda spiraled from there.
The band itself was made by Damon Albarn (Lead singer of Blur, does vocals and writes lyrics for Gorillaz) and Jamie Hewlett (Co-creator of the comic book “Tank Girl”, draws and animates for Gorillaz) after they were both watching MTV and they were like “hey music today sucks you know what’d be cool?? if we made an animated band” “cool we could call it ‘gorilla’ because we were both born on the year of the monkey!!!” sadly animal planet had already copyrighted “gorilla” so they just added a z to the end of it to make it cooler.
Something to know about Gorillaz is that they have “phases”. Phase 1 was in 2001, when they released their albums “Gorillaz”, “G-Sides” and “Laika come home”. Phase 1′s art style was cartoonish and used very thick lineart. Phase 2 was in 2005, when they released “Demon Days” and “D-sides”. Phase 2′s art style was a bit dark and looked more realistic. Phase 3 was in 2010, when they released the albums “Plastic Beach” and “The Fall” in 2011. Phase 3′s art style was almost the same as phase 2′s. Then we have Phase 4 in 2017, their new album “Humanz” is coming out April 28th. It’s art style is the one that stands out the most to me, you can find most of the art on Jamie Hewlett’s Instragram (Hewll)
Alright, a big part of me getting into the fandom was my love fore the characters. I’m assuming you’re not a fan yet, so let me introduce them to you (i’m going to use powerpoints to explain each member if u don’t mind):
This lovely lad here is Murdoc Faust Niccals.
- He’s the band’s leader/bassist, and he makes sure EVERYONE knows that’s it’s his band and only his. - He went through multiple other bands before he formed Gorillaz. - He was born on June 6th, 1966 in Stoke-on-Trent, England. As an infant he was abandoned on his father’s doorstep. - Had a very rough childhood, his father, Sebastian Niccals, would force him to preform on stage for booze money and it was absolutely humiliating for him. - His nose has been broken a of total 8 times. The first time was from a bully at his school, the 2nd time was from his older (and only) brother, Hannibal, because Murdoc had touched his records and the other 6 times were from Russel when he got caught “doing it” with 2D’s now ex-girlfriend in the bathroom stalls of Kong Studios
- His middle name was originally “Alphonse” but he changed it to “Faust” after making a deal with the Devil in phase 1 to make Gorillaz the “biggest band in the world”. That’s also how he got his bass, “El Diablo”.
- did i mention he was a satanist bc he is - He hangs around in his underwear a lot (especially in phase 2) - He likes to either get naked or start pelvic thrusting in like every video, so be careful, young anon. - He’s very crude but sometimes he can be very nice and adorable in some interviews ??? It’s so weird - He likes making weird noises, like, a lot. - Apparently can speak French and Spanish - His reason for turning green all of the sudden in phase 2 is either because of alcohol poisoning or due to him tanning himself green. Jamie himself said that it’s because he’s an immortalist and his skin is now rotting but I’m not sure how true it is. - He had a pet raven in phase 2!!! His name was Cortez and no one really knows what happened to him but Murdoc seemed to love that bird. - He also had a cape in phase 2 that he loved and wore like all the time but he lost it. Poor baby. - He was based off of a young 1960′s era KeithRichards. - He has a tongue longer than Gene Simmons’ and I’m not even kidding. His tongue is like a foot long - His genuine laugh can cure cancer - He had his own MTV cribs episode - Here’s a playlist of every interview he’s been in if you’d like to know a bit more about how he acts. - All of this sounds horrible but like half of the fandom sees him as charming and funny and the other half sees him as repulsive and downright mean so i guess listen to some of his interviews and make your decision (i’m part of the half that loves him)
This is 2D!!
- He’s the band’s singer, sometimes he plays the piano and melodica too. - He’s anxious and a bit timid around people. He’s not that intelligent, but he’s an absolute sweetheart to pretty much everyone. He’s … a huge dork. - He was born on May 23rd, 1978.
He was born in Hertfordshire, England and was raised in Crawley, England. When he was 10 he fell out of a tree and landed on his head, his hair fell out and grew back blue. He’s had horrible headaches since then, but his mother was a nurse and gave pills to help him out. - His real name is Stuart Pot - He loves horror films!!! Especially zombie movies. - Apparently he smells like butterscotch - He’s VERY tall. he’s like 6′1 and his legs make up most of his body. He towers over the rest of the band. - His voice actor is Nelson De Freitas, but Damon Albarn provides his singing voice - The lack of his two front teeth gives him an adorable accent - He has a crippling fear of whales - His eyes are black due to an 8-ball fracture that Murdoc gave him before the band was made when he crashed his car into the music store 2D worked at. - His eyes turn white when he’s stressed or scared. - His nickname “2D” stands for “Two Dents”. He’s called that because Murdoc’s car crash also gave him two dents in his head. - Murdoc is seen physically abusing 2D throughout phase 1-3, but there’s a very likely chance that he’s going to stop and make amends in phase 4!!! - Here’s a playlist of interviews that he’s been in
- Everybody loves him. I love him. I don’t think it’s possible not to love him.
This is Russel Hobbs!!
- He’s the band’s drummer. He makes remixes too!!! - The living embodiment of “looks like he could kill you but is actually a cinnamon roll” - Quite possibly the most underrated character in the world - He was born in Brooklyn, New York on June 3rd, 1975. He got possessed by a demon as a kid and fell into a coma for four years. After he woke up the demon got expelled tho - When he was a teen, him and his friends were involved in a drive-by shooting. Russel was the only survivor and all of his friends possessed him, but the only one we really get to see is his closest friend, Del, he raps in Clint Eastwood and Rock the House, but we haven’t seen him since phase 1. - Russel misses Del very dearly, poor lad. - After the whole shooting incident he was sent to the UK to live with his uncle. - HE SAVED 2D FROM BEING EATEN BY A WHALE. HE’S SO UNDERAPPRECIATED - He’s an actual giant in phase 3 because he ate some radioactive algae - He loves fezzes!!! - His hobby, besides music, is taxidermy. - He’s the dad friend - Here’s a playlist of interviews that he’s been in
Last but not least, this is Noodle
- She plays guitar for the band. She also sings and writes songs sometimes - Noodle is very energetic and nice but she can also kick your ass - She was born in Osaka, Japan on October 31st 1990
- She joined the band when she was around 10 but she’s like 26 now. I forgot to mention that the band ages with real time - As a kid she was a part of a classified child super solider project under the management of a japanese scientist named Mr. Kyuzo. this is where she learned how to be badass. She knew professional karate at like 10 how cool is that - All of the children in that project were deemed too unstable and dangerous, so they canceled the experiment and Mr. Kyuzo was ordered to kill all of the children (fuckin dark i know). After killing them all, Mr. Kyuzo was reluctant to kill Noodle, so instead he put her in a state of amnesia and smuggled her to the UK by shipping her to Kong Studios in a FedEx crate. - She didn’t remember anything!!! The only english thing she was able to say to say was “noodle” and that’s where she got her name. - She learned how to speak english and remembered her past in phase 2. - Murdoc, 2D and Russel raised her (mostly russel tho). Noodle considers Murdoc and 2D her brothers and Russel considers her his daughter how CUTE IS THAT - She loves Pokemon - She had a flying windmill island in phase 2 it was incredible - She had a cute radio helmet in phase 1 - She also has a robot version of herself called “Cyborg Noodle” in phase 3. It’s a long story but Cyborg might be coming back for phase 4. - The interviews that she’s in can be found here!!
The backstory is too long for me to write down, but you can find it over here! I hope i explained everything clearly- if not, or if you have any questions, feel free to send me a message!! I hope this helps you c:
He’d like to possibly cover Closer to the Heart by Rush in the future
His favorite concert of Rush’s he’s seen (out of 11) is the R30 tour in 2004
His favorite thing he’s seen them play live is Xanadu
He doesn’t plan on trying to start playing an instrument (aside from the bass which he has said he’s mediocre at) because the band he’s got now has such awesome musicians that he wants to focus on being the best vocalist he can be
His favorite Skyhill song is Run with the Hunted, and his least favorite is Only One
His favorite Rush song to play on the bass is Fountain of Lameneth (but it’s hard)
It’s pretty likely that there will eventually be a new Skyhill song or album
He first saw Rush in 1994 in NJ at the Brendan Byrne Arena. He’s seen them on every tour since.
He’s hoping that next year they’ll be able to tour in the UK, and he’d like to be able to tour in Australia too at some point
What influenced him most from Rush is their chord choices, their worth ethic, and their integrity.
If he could perform vocals on one song with Rush, it would probably be Time Stand Still
His best Rush-related experience was zoning out by himself as a kid and letting their music take his imagination places
His favorite Rush albums are A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Caress of Steel, and 2112. His least favorite (though he still loves them!) are Hold your Fire, Counterparts, and Snakes and Arrows
The most direct way that Rush has affected him is that they helped inspire him to commit his life to music.
His top 3 songs are Xanadu, Hemispheres, and Fountain of Lameneth
He started listening to Rush at 13 and he became obsessed with them. He sang their music to himself all day during school.
When asked how many Rush shirts he has, his answer was “Too many!!”
A Farewell to Kings is his alltime favorite Rush album
What initially caused him to enjoy Rush was that it was an awesome sound that he’d never really heard before and lyrics that appealed to his nerdy Lord of the Rings loving self.
His favorite >10 minute Rush track is (possibly) Circumstances
I’m more Jewish by culture than by religion. I certainly believe that there’s a lot to life and the universe that we don’t understand, and I respect anyone who finds their answers in religion, but it’s never been a big part of my life personally.”
His favorite Rush show to watch is one from Rio
The song he’s most proud of is 6969 because it’s a comedy prog song, which is something he’s always wanted to do.
His favorite part of 2112 is the overture
Hemispheres will always remind him of his freshman year of high school. He listened to it constantly.
Both him and Arin write the lyrics to Starbomb songs
He feels an immediate kinship with other Rush fans. “We’re like a world-wide secret club!”
The rush album he feels is most underrated is Presto
The first Rush song he listened to was Roll the Bones
He would be interested in giving talks about music/comedy/career stuff at colleges or high schools if there was an audience for it.
He got into Rush at age 12 because the guy that worked at his local comic book shop (named Keith) introduced him to them. “God bless that man.” Before he discovered them he listened to a lot of Def Leppard and Nirvana
if you were to start your career again today, where would you start? Youtube / twitch / podcasts?
I don’t think I’d do anything differently because even the years of “failure” taught me a lot and allowed me time to improve. Once that spotlight is on you, you’d better be ready for it. I’d say start in the medium that inspires you individually the most and work as hard as you can on it from there.
how do you think the future of NSP has changed now that you guys have topped the motherfucking charts with Under the Covers?? You guys fucking rule and I’m so happy for you and your multitudes of success! A:
Thank you! We were psyched that our recent albums have charted so well, but I don’t think we’ll do anything differently. We’ll just keep doing what feels right to the best of our ability!
6969 came together quickly when writing it. The video only took so long because it was such a huge jump in ambition and it has a learning curve. “If we do something like that again, things should go a lot more smoothly!”
The Pass has helped him through some tough times.
(I believe) that the lyrics he’d get as a tattoo are “
All of us get lost in the darkness Dreamers learn to steer by the stars All of us do time in the gutter Dreamers learn to look at the cars!”
Q: What would you say is the best dish at Olive Garden? A: The dish where you get up, walk across the street, and eat at Outback Steakhouse
He meditates in silence before a show because he’d get overhyped if he listened to music.
Doesn’t have a favorite member of Rush, “it’s an equilateral triangle”
Says Moving Pictures is usually a safe bet to start off with introducing someone to Rush
He picked Madrigal and Subdivisions for the first UTC because he loves them and they’re easy to sing. “I don’t know if I could hit some of those crazy high notes Geddy rocked in the 70s”
He thinks Witch Hunt would be a very good song to cover.
Such a great song and so relevant right now! “Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand”
His favorite song to try and fail at on bass is YYZ
I don’t think there’s any conscious decision to have Rush influence my music, but I’ve spent so many thousands of hours listening to them, it’s inevitable that it just comes out naturally”
His favorite album to work on in his career is what he’s doing now (UTC2 and Cool Patrol) because “we’ve grown so much and finally have a full band!”
He doesn’t mind when fans are super nervous to meet him. He was nervous when he met Rush, too, “so it’s just the circle of life!”
He chose bass because it was different and fun to find submelodies.
Hey Dan! I’m looking forward to Under the Covers 2. I started writing comedy music and NSP is one of my main inspirations. What do you wish you knew about writing comedy music earlier on in your career?
Nothing in particular really. You learn and you go and there’s no substitute for just doing something over a long period of time. Of course there are things I would change about our early work, but it was the best we could do at the time so I have to be cool with it.
“I listened to so much of them [Rush] growing up that it’s in my blood and unconsciously shapes the way I approach music”
His second favorite album flops between Hemispheres, Caress of Steel, and 2112 on any given day
His favorite story/message told in a Rush song→ Story is Fountain of Lameneth because it’s a beautiful summary of life. Message is Spirit of Radio where they talk about the importance of integrity in art.
His biggest influences are Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Genesis, Nirvana, Spacehog, and Gentle Giant (to name a few)
He does his best on his Rickenbacker bass but it’s just for fun. “My band already has a bass player that’s better than I’ll ever be!”
“Thanks everyone! I have to go see my family now otherwise I’d stay longer. Sorry I couldn’t get to everyone’s questions but I had a lot of fun. I’d be happy to do this again in the future! You being fans of mine means the world to me and I promise to keep making comedy and music for a long time! Thanks to you, the moderators who set this up, and of course Rush for being an awesome and inspirational force!”