WHEN paparazzi photos of me
chatting to Tom Hiddleston at a Gold Coast cafe filled my Twitter feed
under the headline “filling that blank space?” I felt the blood drain
from my face.
As a young entertainment journalist, I try to dodge any incidents that could jeopardise my integrity and professionalism.
Having recently moved from News into the Lifestyle section of The Courier-Mail, it was my job to write about and interview the stars of Thor who were filming on the Gold Coast and briefly in Brisbane.
when I saw Hiddleston sitting at a café in a chance meeting on a day
off at the beach, I struck up a conversation as he kindly offered a
surprising recollection of who I was.
As I walked off I caught a glimpse of a man with a camera stowed away
in an adjacent store and laughed at the prospect of being cropped out
of some pap shots.
But soon the photos — which included me
chatting to the actor while covered in a fine layer of sand— were
plastered over the internet as the “mystery blonde” in Hiddleston’s life
following his split with Taylor Swift.
I was suddenly the subject of memes and absurd rumours in The Daily Mail and Woman’s Day,
who slapped me with labels such as “pretty blonde” and “mystery woman”
and interspersed them with Clipart love hearts and catchy captions like
“fancy meeting you here” and “parting is such sweet sorrow”.
“Tom definitely upped the charm,” the Daily Mail journalist wrote. “The Avengers star certainly appeared to be flirting it up with the stunner.”
with being astounded by how many people recognised the back of my head
and developing a newfound respect for the impossible lives of
celebrities, I quickly realised I had to grow a thick skin.
an uncomfortable reality that people will be judged on their appearance,
and trivialised for being a young blonde female when a male wouldn’t be
cast in the same light is certainly not the worst.
But, as I
shared a laugh with colleagues and friends dying to know what I showed
him on my phone, I hid the beetroot red in my cheeks. The world had been
granted the chance to judge my beach shorts and joke about my personal
life and I had to accept that this happened to me because I am a young
That was why a man behind the glass thought to take photos of me and
sell them. It meant gossip journalists had a reason to tag them with
salacious headlines and for those photos to become a talking point.
Ultimately I knew my professional relationship with the Thor actors might be dashed to dirt for merely doing my job.
it may seem inoffensive, for me it was part of an uphill battle I have
faced to be taken seriously in a world that would happily put me in a
“pretty blonde” box.
As an intern at a series of other media
outlets, I was told by respected men about the importance of “looking
good” and once even told I would soon discover the “true meaning of
workplace sexual harassment”.
I dodged flippant jokes about how
“talent” might react to me and had men reply to my tweets with pictures
of their appendages. I usually grin, bear it and get on with my job.
my fear is that these photos in unflattering beachwear will live atop
my Google search results like a digital ghost and I will have to do
something remarkable in my career to save being remembered as Tom
Hiddleston’s “mystery blonde”. For now, I’ll stick to checking nearby
As for what I showed him on my phone, I’ll leave that as another blank space for the tabloids to fill.
The production took place at the Cambridge Arts Theatre on 10-13 October 2001, 2.30 and 7.45pm.
main creatives held four pre-show discussions (11th Oct 7pm, 12th Oct
2pm and 7pm, 13th Oct 2pm) at the Arts Theatre; there was a post-show
discussion with the director and cast on 11th Oct; and there were
pre-show workshops on performance with the director and cast-members on
11th-12th Oct at 5.30pm. The accompanying symposium (‘Complex Electra’,
13th-14th October, Peterhouse College) has been published in Didaskalia 5.3 (2002). Pre- and post-production interviews with the director have been published in PVCRS 1 (2007).
There have been a ton of posts about you guys telling us about Tom, but for some reason, there really haven’t been a lot from us telling you about Taylor! I just saw this post from a girl saying that she didn’t know that much about Taylor so I just wanted to provide this post for you :) And so we begin… ten things to know about Taylor Swift and the Swiftie fandom:
1) She has a lucky number: 13. That’s kind of an understatement. 13 is the holy grail number, and has been for years. Taylor was born on the 13th, she turned 13 on Friday, the 13th, her first album went gold in 13 weeks, her first song that went #1 had a 13 second intro, you get the idea. So she slaps it onto anything and everything. Worship the 13.
2) She has a thing for cats. This one might be obvious since her Instagram is peppered with videos and pictures of the cats, Meredith (named after Meredith Grey) and Olivia (named after Olivia Benson). She loves them. She has cats on everything. She has shoes with cats. She has a cat purse. You should see her house, for God’s sake. She says her and dogs don’t mix, but most of us beg to differ.
3) She has a squeak laugh. She always makes fun of herself for it, but it’s the cutest thing you will ever hear.
4) She is a feminist. She is known for slamming the media when they hit her with the “serial dater” label. She doesn’t tolerate it, and we don’t as a fandom either. She has a whole damn song about this topic. Ever heard ‘Blank Space’? Yup. But it probably won’t be a problem, based on what we’ve seen from Tom and your fandom so far.
5) She doesn’t just write about relationships. This is probably the most common misconception about Taylor. It’s pretty sexist and annoying that she’s the only artist that is ever hit with this statement, even though that is all artists such as Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, and One Direction write about. She has written about anything and everything: her family, her fans, a child who died of cancer, a friend with an eating disorder, the media, the 2009 VMA Kanye West situation, coming of age, being fifteen, being twenty-two, a harsh critic, moving to New York, and shaking off the haters.
6) She has an interesting relationship with us, the fans. She calls us her friends, and likes to stalk us online. She’s had an infinite number of free meet and greets over the years, none of that $1000 shit. She has sent fans Christmas gifts, Valentine’s Day gifts, birthday gifts, graduation gifts, and has donated thousands of dollars to fans for college, financial troubles, and medical needs. She has shown up to fans’ weddings, bridal showers, and houses. She invited fans into her home to hear her new album early. She does everything in her power to make us happy, and we are all grateful for it. If you ever come across someone who isn’t appreciative, they do NOT represent our fandom.
7) She has many fears, some of them irrational. They go anywhere from harmless insects, to being framed for murder.
8) She has country roots. She grew up on a Christmas tree farm in Pennsylvania, and started her career touring for country artists, such as Brad Paisley and Rascal Flatts. She gradually transitioned into pop, but even some of her earliest songs have a pop sound to them.
9) She has dated seven people in the last eight years. Take a minute to think about how many relationships people in their twenties usually have. Ditch the idea that she dates every guy that walks by her. It will just be less trouble for all of us.
10) She has an amazing fanbase, for the most part. If you stick to Tumblr, you’ll find that the majority of us are kind and positive fans. We aren’t the fanbase that attacks other fandoms, and we like to keep it that way. Instagram and Twitter can be a little iffy, but this site is mostly respectful. We just want Taylor to be happy, above all.
I stand with Tom Hiddleston and his right to fucking PRIVACY!
most of you guys disgust me right now. It’s the same mob mentality that got him scared of his “Hiddlestoners” now, why he can’t go out alone anymore, why he couldn’t give autographs after his theatre gigs anymore, why he and Cumberbatch hat to run from a stampede of insane delusional “fans”, a sane fan stopped the stampede, he thanked her and invited her - she had to delete her accounts and was called a whore on twitter. That’s the mob of fans that disgusts me right now. People like you, if you are one of them and reading this right now, are the reason he slowly backs off. The same reason he can’t have a relationship without desperate fangirls getting their dry sandy panties in a twist over it.
I remember 2011 when he could just be on twitter, chatting with people, just being normal, because his fans were normal. Now he is getting jumped on the red carpet by screaming fans.
And now this. You are a disgrace to the Hiddlestoners, with your jealousy and your rumours and negative attitude. He will never fuck any of you, because you aren’t in his life and from what he now knows about his fans, he does not want them in his life anymore. He won’t fuck you, because if he ever met you, you would just stand there drooling, trying to touch him up and at the same time reassure him that you just like him for his personality. He won’t fuck you because you are married with children, possible not his type, or a teenager or or or. It’s not happening. It’s just not realistic. And because it isn’t realistic, WHY are you getting jealous if he has a fucking girlfriend?!
I can get why you maybe dislike who he is with, because maybe you don’t like that lady (I do like her), but it still does not explain why you take to twitter to send him horrible/mean comments. proclaim that he is “pathetic” or “can’t be supported as a fan” anymore, or that he is “a joke now”?! HELLO!?!!?!? How is this the appropriate reaction to him getting into a relationship!? The appropriate reaction is “good for him”, and walk on, enjoying his work. Because his work is all that should concern you.
Anyway, I know a lot of sane and wonderful Hiddleston-fans, and I hope that the few he met impacted him positively. I hope he will forever remember them, not the cunt waffles who demand that he has to be their fantasy-boyfriend forever. I will always respect and love and adore the sane and respectful fans, my friends and fellow Loki-fans. You made my life wonderful and you are the reason I won’t drop this fandom, to enjoy it on my own.
And I know that we see the truth. His privacy and private matters are HIS OWN. We are just allowed to enjoy his work as an actor. NOTHING MORE. he owes us SHIT. SHIT!
I don’t care who he dates, or not, or who she is or what she did bad. or not. BTW Kanye West!? Is a crazy jesus complex-idiot. Nothing more. Fuck him.
One more “OH, Tom is like “I didn’t; know she was a bitch, let’s get outta here”!” or “Run, Tom, RUN!” and I’ll cut a bitch.
You think you are levelheaded and in the right? You are just gossip hungry and nasty. And jealous.
Jealousy is ugly.
If this sounds addressed to you? Unfollow, there is the door.