Helix is an intense thriller about a team of scientists from the Centers for Disease Control who travel to the high-tech research facility, Arctic BioSystems to investigate a possible disease outbreak, only to find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that may hold the key to mankind’s salvation or total annihilation. However, the lethal threat is just the tip of the iceberg, and as the virus evolves, the chilling truth begins to unravel. (Summary shamelessly stolen from project free tv because i couldn’t think of a non-spoilery version)
Sounds fun right? Here are some reasons why you should spend a few hours of your life watching it.
- The plot is super engaging and fast paced. My roommate hornswaggler and I would literally spend an hour or two discussing theories after every episode, some we got right and some were way out in left field but they all made sense at the time.
- Serial format so it doesn’t really get stale. There is no formula to the episodes making them pretty unpredictable. New things are introduced with every episode just as some questions are answered each episode
- Lots of science but with fantastical elements as well
- Things are SO much more than they seem, there are so many well executed plot twists (they all make sense!)
- Complete genre shift around episode 5/6 and it’s done FLAWLESSLY
- I can’t give away too much without giving away plot points but trust me the plot is A+ (some of the special effects not so much)
- Decent number of lady characters, all of whom are incredibly competent and fleshed out people with their own motivations who are never pitted against each other (except for a couple of times when they argue about science)
- MAIN CHARACTER IS A WOMAN SCIENTIST
- granted it took them a few episodes to figure it out but Jules is 100% the main character, like they literally say at one point “it’s all about you julia, it’s always been about you”
- For being 13 episodes people get a hella ton on character development
- Even the minor characters are super interesting.
- People a v.pretty
Not plot things but cool things
- The music disconnect is seriously the best thing ever. Peppy music plays over horrific scenes, it’s great.
- THE HUMOR like syfy could have made it a serious show (and it is for the most part) but you will laugh, I promise.
- Bonus content on the syfy site that is both interesting and plot relevant (more fuel for conspiracy theory discussions) (and also where my url comes from)
- People who are sick actually fucking act and look sick (this is a pet peeve of mine with other shows where people have some bug but still look okay with only slightly messy hair, Helix actually makes the sick people look sick)
- Only 13 episodes so it only takes ~10 hours to watch.
- It is a teeny tiny fandom with zero drama and great people
- The cast is pretty active about interacting with people on twitter if you are into that
- My roommate and I had a random non-plot question that we tweeted the show runner at like 3 AM and we actually got a response the next day
- Like really the fandom is five people in a shoelace. There are like 20 fics tops, one fanmix, like four gif/graphic makers, and zero fanart. Please join us.
And the best thing?
IT’S ON NETFLIX AND SEASON 2 STARTS IN JANUARY!
**As a note there is quite a bit of gore and body horror, in the first few episodes especially, so if that isn’t you thing Helix might not be for you.
****** ANOTHER NOTE: If you are going to watch it do not go in the helix syfy tag. Hella ton of spoilers that are pretty much unavoidable.