friendly note from your friendly local surpirse!-still-not-dead native american
John Hoeven was just appointed as Chairman of the Senate Committee on Indian Affairs. He was a DAPL supporter, has voted for pipelines in general (has said the Keystone Pipeline did not leak- this is a lie) and does not have the interests of indian country in mind at all. In fact, no members of this committee are Native.
- John Hoeven, North Dakota, Chair (white)
- John Barrasso, Wyoming (white)
- John McCain, Arizona (white)
- Lisa Murkowski, Alaska (white)
- James Lankford, Oklahoma (white)
- Steve Daines, Montana (white)
- Mike Crapo, Idaho (white)
- Jerry Moran, Kansas (white)
- Tom Udall, New Mexico, Vice Chair (white)
- Maria Cantwell, Washington (white)
- Jon Tester, Montana (white)
- Al Franken, Minnesota (white)
- Brian Schatz, Hawaii (white)
- Heidi Heitkamp, North Dakota (white)
- Catherine Cortez Masto, Nevada (half Mexican descent)
not only are none of these committee members Native, some of them are blatantly against ndn issues (DAPL hello). There’s also Mormons and evangelist Christians on the committee and considering the long history in America of “converting the savages” by these groups, it seems very tactless. maybe a committee made up only of natives is unrealistic but really?
of course the reason there are no natives on the committee is because there are no native members in the entire senate. Representation in government matters, y’all dumped tea into the Harbor because “no taxation without representation” and right not Native representation is not happening. In fact, there are only two members of the Congress that are tribal members or 0.37% while tribal members make up 2% of the overall U.S. population. Are we a minority? Yes, but that’s still 5.4 million people and we deserve to have representation in the government.
so what can you do? maybe Trumps presidency is going to lead to more shitty times but if you can vote- you have the power to do something about government representation in the U.S.
(also vote for me when I run for office eventually k guys)