The Health X experiment is the first of (hopefully many) 30DX. Without any fanfare, here is the Experiment Design Format as highlighted in the Experiment Methodology post
The implications of good health are pretty obvious to most people and the subject of health has been a personal interest of mine for some time. Health is my number one priority and having it is pretty much a pre-requisite for satisfying any of life’s other responsibilities including career, family, and personal relationships. It only seemed fitting to choose a health related experiment for the first 30DX.
I also received a free baseline check from WellnessFX via a separate effort from this. I found this video inspiring for this X.
Metrics and Measurement
- Weight (taken in morning) - 164lbs
- Body Fat (electrical impedance test) - 14%
- Fat fold pinch (stomach) - R(12mm) L(16mm)
- Waist Measurement (around naval) - 32.5in
- Full Blood workup metrics from WellnessFX Performance service
- Collect baseline metrics on health and body composition
- Follow a workout + nutrition plan for 30 days (detailed below)
- Track nutrient macros and total calorie intake daily
- Track weight and body fat daily
- Lift (mobile app) - tracks plan compliance
- My Fitness Pal (mobile app) - tracks nutrient macros and calorie totals
Hope & Hypothesis
I hope to see some health marker and noticeable body composition improvements over the 30 days as well and learn more about my daily macro requirements and how they effect my energy/mood/etc. This also marks the first time I will ever keep a food journal and I hope that exercise has some lasting knowledge benefits as well.
Goals for Plan Compliance
- Nutrition: 90% daily compliance over 30 days as measured by coming within 10% of total calorie and total macro amounts. AKA, I am allowed 3 days where I miss my goals over the first 30 days
- Workout: 90% compliance of 4 x per week for 4 weeks is 16 workouts during the 30 day period.
Penalty for Non-compliance
Since this is my first 30DX I’m going to go light on the penalty side. I really have no idea how hard that Nutrition goal is going to be to hit, so I’m going to take it easy on the Penalty.
My penalty for not hitting the 2 points in the Goals section will be to cash out (all but $50…) of my Sportsbook.com account. I like to casually gamble on sports and have built up an account of over $700 from an initial investment of $50. My wife would love to see that money in our bank accounts but I like to use it casually to make some games interesting that wouldn’t otherwise be.
This, paired with the fact this is my first 30DX, should be enough to keep me motivated.
Results (Experiment In Progress)
Lessons Learned (Experiment In Progress)
Click here to see all the posts in the Health X experiment