Hey! I saw your post on HOO continuity errors and I was wondering what some of them were. I know the one I picked up was when Blackjack spontaneously turned from female to male😂
There’s a full list on the official wiki here, but I’ll highlight a few of my personal favourites (only ones that actually impact the plot, though there are plenty of ridiculous name swaps that should be noted) for you too:
- [SoN] Thanatos tells Frank after the giant is unconscious that they will meet again in unfavorable circumstances. However, this meeting does not occur at all, even until the end of the series.
- [SoN] Hazel is told by Pluto that her curse would be washed off by a descendant of Neptune. However, further details about who washed it off, how, where, when, etc., are not mentioned even until the last book.
- [TLH] When Jason’s memories return, he mentions Hazel as a good friend of his. However in The House of Hades, Hazel admits that she has a hard time warming up to him, and that she can’t get a read on him… This implies that the two barely knew each other before Jason disappears. (He may have considered her a friend while she didn’t return the feeling.)
- [MoA] Hercules warns Piper and Jason that he will kill them and their friends on the Argo II if they try and contact them. Later when Piper thinks of a plan to pass Hercules without giving him the Cornucopia, she uses an Iris Message to contact them.
- [HoH] Nico bitterly says that since he is a son of Hades, he has no friends and “might as well be covered in blood or sewage,” judging from how almost all other demigods fear and hate him. However in The Last Olympian after Nico helps save Olympus, Percy states that everybody acted friendly with him and complimented his amazing fighting skills. Even the Ares demigods consider him “pretty cool.”
- [BoO] Neither Hazel nor Frank’s curses are resolved.
- [BoO] Percy’s fatal flaw of loyalty doesn’t come into play, despite being hyped up throughout the series.
- [MoA] Percy mentions that he knew the Romans for weeks. However by this point in the series he had only known the Romans for about ten days, including the time he spent with Frank and Hazel on his quest.
- [SoN] Percy yells at Hera for taking eight months of his life from him. However Percy was only gone for six months, as he vanished from Camp Half-Blood on December 13 and then appeared at Camp Jupiter in late June. (Percy might have thought that he was gone that long, because Jason went missing from the Roman Camp in October, eight months before the book’s events. He eventually realized his error in The Mark of Athena.) [Even so, where the hell was Percy being kept between December and June????]
- [TLH] While Jason is looking at the old photo of Annabeth Chase, Luke Castellan, and Thalia Grace in Cabin One, it is said that in the photo Thalia was “maybe fifteen”- however, Thalia couldn’t have been any older than twelve or thirteen at the time the photo was taken.
- [MoA] Percy mentions that it has been five years since he arrived at Camp Half-Blood. However The Mark of Athena only takes place four years after the events of The Lightning Thief.
- [Various] Nico’s age is stated to be 14, but according to the timeline of PJO he should only be 13.
Bonus! Things from other books in the universe that don’t match HoO:
- Chiron claims that the Titans are still alive but imprisoned. This seems to be supported by Poseidon telling Percy that the Titans cannot die anymore than the gods can. However, their claims are contradicted in House of Hades when Krios says that Jason Grace killed him.
- Percy speaks in Latin, although Greek demigods should speak in Greek and not Latin.
- In The Blood of Olympus, Nico claims that he did not design the Hades cabin despite him designing and having it built in The Last Olympian.
The Demigod Files:
- During their trek through the Underworld with Nico di Angelo, Percy thinks to himself that because Thalia is now immortal, she had not aged since about a year ago, and that would mean he was now older than her. However, Thalia was a day younger than sixteen when she became a Hunter in The Titan’s Curse, and since The Sword of Hades takes place on Christmas Day of the same year as The Battle of the Labyrinth, Percy would only be about fifteen and a half and therefore younger than Thalia.
- In The Lost Hero Nyssa tells Leo Valdez that Charles Beckendorf found the Bronze Dragon in pieces and rebuilt it. However, in The Demigod Files, Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, and Silena Beauregard were the ones who found the dragon, and Annabeth fixed it.
The Demigod Diaries:
- Thalia said that Amaltheia led her to find Luke the night that she ran away. But Thalia said that she ran away when Jason disappeared when he was two, and since she was seven when he was born, that would’ve made her nine-years-old, but Thalia and Luke only knew each other a few months before they met Annabeth, and they were 12 and 14-years-old.
- It is mentioned that Leo has been working on the Argo II for two months, despite this story taking place less than a week after the events of The Lost Hero.
Bonus Bonus! Submitted by other people who read my post:
- Anonymous said: One thing about your hoo rant that imo you might have missed: in tlh chiron kept saying stuff about him being sworn to secrecy about things but they never actually see what he was being sworn about
- @hesperathusa said: NO THE MOST ANNOYING THING WAS POSEIDON TEASING PERCY ABOUT HAVING SIBLING IN TLO AND HIM NOT HAVING ANY IN HoO!!!!!!!! Ughhhhhh
- Anonymous said: Did the scene in BoO with Jason talking to Percy about him wanting to die seem a tad OOC? I know Jason is awkward with stuff like that and all (ie: Cupid scene) but I think he’d know better and encourage Percy to talk it out or something?
- @percabeth-is-endless added: don’t forget enough with the ‘no demigod will heal your heart’ bullshit with reyna like can she just be healed on her own??