Show Jumping rally is approximately two and a half weeks away, and of course I do something to compromise my mount for the event.
Today I rode Liam through the creek at my house, like I did a thousand times last summer, and being 90 degrees or so today I figured he would enjoy cooling off a bit. The second trip through the creek he gets stuck in some underlying silt that has built up (most likely due to the insane amount of rainfall here in Maryland over the past few weeks) and scrapes his knees, and right hind stifle stumbling through.
His right hind and fore look like simple scrapes, but the left front has semi-exposed fascia, the layer of tissue separating skin and muscle. He has been “virtually” examined by my vet, and she is coming out to do an in-person inspection this week. His scrapes are packed with antibiotic gel, and he has been given his fair dosage of banamine.
Of course these wounds will take two weeks or so to completely heal before I can put him back into vigorous work, which brings me back to my original conundrum. I won’t have a horse to ride for the qualifying show jumping rally this year. Maybe it wasn’t meant to be, or I’ll find an even more kick ass horse to compete in the meantime. Either way I’ve got lots of phone calls and favors to call upon.
Jingles for Liam, I’m hoping his Connemara side of the family pulls through and keeps him from swelling up like a balloon in the next 72 hours. He usually does well with minor injuries, but this one has been scared.
xoxo Zoe and Liam