Some highlights from the Westworld Panel at Paleyfest!
- Evan states that Dolores is the best character she has ever played, and that this role has changed her life.
- Thandie described Evan’s performance as a “powerhouse”, and Evan told the audience how much she wished that she could have worked more with Thandie in season 1.
- Jimmi said that he had no idea what this show was about or the scope of it when he first signed on. He thought he would be in an episode or two (max), and realized his role was larger when he was scripted to pick up Dolores’ fallen can in Sweetwater. He said, “Why am I picking up the main girl’s can? Why am I picking up the star’s can???”. He went on to say that he thought this would be a cheesy CHIPS remake, explaining that he had very little idea as to what the show was about. He realized how big of a deal this project was when he saw Sir Anthony Hopkins name on the cast list.
- Evan figured out that Dolores was Wyatt part-way through the season. She said she had been racking her brain of who it could be and was wondering why no one had been cast for the role. It hit her as she walked out of her trailer and she said to herself, “Wait, I’m Wyatt.”
- James Marsden talked about how thrilled he was to be working with Anthony Hopkins, but was upset that his first interaction with the actor was in his birthday suit.
- Thandie talked about the extreme violence against women in the show and how she’s an activist for female rights and was nervous about this project. Once she signed on, she realized how important this story was to tell, and how it shed light on the treatment of women without ever being gratuitous or exploitative. She stated that this was the first project where she felt she could take her activism with her on set every single day. She never felt as if she had to dull that side of her down.
- Lisa Joy and Jon Nolan talked about the music selections for season 2 and that there is a creepy and wonderful dark twist on a childhood classic that their daughter always listens to. They talked about how originally the musical selection was going to be more guitar based, but that they ultimately decided on the piano.
- Jimmi had no idea he was the Man in Black until one of the makeup artists pulled him aside and said he wanted to change his eyebrows. He realized that if they were changing them, it must be in order to look like someone else in the cast. He narrowed it down to Ed Harris and then asked Lisa if he was correct. Lisa thought that Jon would be upset if she told Jimmi the truth, but she ultimately didn’t want Jimmi to be insecure about his eyebrows. Ed then asked if something was wrong with his own eyebrows.
- Ed talked about the fact that he had no idea Jimmi was playing a younger version of himself until he walked by him one day and a crew member said, “That’s younger you.”
- While there was no exclusive footage, there was a hilarious gag reel in the beginning of the panel. The best scene was Dolores saying “These violent delights have violent ends” in her most menacing voice while it showed her standing next to her pooping horse on set.
Oliver Wood was probably more excited than anyone else when the news came out that Ginny Weasley and Harry Potter were expecting a baby because DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH QUIDDITCH TALENT THAT CHILD HAS IN ITS GENES