is the fourth album by band Hawkwind, released in 6 September. It is regarded by many critics as a career highlight (in studio).
The album’s title was a nod to Edvard Grieg’s “In the Hall of the Mountain King” and to a Portobello Road cafe called The Mountain Grill (now closed), frequented by the band in the early 1970s. The cover of a derelict spaceship in the mists of an alien lagoon was painted by the band’s regular artistic collaborator, Barney Bubbles. The rear cover was by space artist David Hardy.
The record featured hard rockers like “The Psychedelic Warlords (Disappear in Smoke)” and “Lost Johnny” (subsequently recorded by bassist Lemmy’s post-Hawkwind band Motörhead and also by co-writer Mick Farren with his band the The Deviants), psychedelia such as the heavily-phased “D-Rider” and “Web Weaver”,
this is the quintessential hawkwind album, plenty of that ethereal space rock sound. The grill has it all from the pounding heavy metal of the earlier Space Ritual through to the gorgeous synth washed sounds that would define later works like spirit of the age. For an Hawkwind beginner i would suggest this album as a taster, although you can hear the newer direction that the band were heading in. this album really deserves to be revered alongside those albums as one of the best from the ‘Lemmy’ period.
OKAY, SO… YOU KNOW WHAT I HAVEN’T SEEN YET AND I REALLY WANT TO SEE?!
Mystery Girl interacting with characters aside from Pearl. Like… Don’t get me wrong, I really like that ship. A lot. But I really want to see Mystery Girl/Sheena interact with the other characters and Gems. I already have a specific idea in mind for a chapter of the Connie Maheswaran Fanclub, but here’s some other interactions to consider…
- Sheena meets Lapis and Lapis immediately kinda… Doesn’t like her. Not because of anything at all Sheena did but because Lapis might have an irrational dislike of her because Sheena reminds her of Jasper in some ways. And then they hash it out eventually or whatever.
- Sheena gives romantic advice to Connie.
- Vidalia and Sheena become friends with Vidalia sharing stories about when she was Sheena’s age and a hard rocker girl.
- Sheena and Amethyst get arrested for some reason.
- Peridot is watching Camp Pining Hearts, Sheena can’t stop going on about how much she hates that show and how corny it is. Peridot considers the gauntlet thrown down.