be the person others can look up to. be kind, but know your worth. illuminate a room with your presence, compliment others to brighten their day. work hard for your dreams but know when to rest. enjoy the little moments, and remember that what will be will be.
you have yet to meet the people most important to you in 5 years. you have yet to make the memories you will remember when you are old. you have so many opportunities, so many possibilities. that grade won’t matter in a few years. friendships end. time flows, you have yet so much ahead.
Jane Austen died on this day 200 years ago. It is a testament to her genius that her words have continued to resonate for generations. Today, we celebrate her life by reflecting on what she had to say about love and happiness.
Gifs created by Nicole Piendel for Oxford University Press.
I screwed up my first year of high school. To some people, it doesn’t look like it. But with a combination of mental illness, not amazing friends and a lack of discipline, I’m glad I barely remember that. But that screw up of a year taught me more than any high school teacher could. Now let me share these things with you. Just a warning, this will most likely be a chaotic rambling of everything in my head.
Mental illness is a legitimate thing do not accuse someone of lying about their mental illness. Don’t do it. You can blame a lot of things on how you were young and stupid, but the question is, are you still being what you call ‘young and stupid’? Now is that a good thing or a bad thing? Learn to laugh at yourself. You do that by putting yourself in weird situations. Walking around the city in a onesie and bright pink vans was a great time. It made me more comfortable in my skin. Own yourself. Simplicity is beautiful. Trust me. You don’t need to get smashed at a party when you’re underage to have fun, trust me on this, I’ve seen way too many incredible people screw up such a great part of their lives by getting smashed at parties and doing drugs when they’re barely 13. Don’t. Beauty isn’t everything, you’ve got a brain. Use it. Such a unique mind shouldn’t go to waste due to societal expectations. You’ve got a heart that’ll melt even the coldest of minds. Find your escape. Books, music, painting, whatever. The world can be overbearing, don’t let it get to you.
Put your all into everything. Don’t half arse anything. If you think you’ve done enough, do it three more times. Check out three more websites. Go through your flashcards three more times. Three is a magical number. What do you enjoy? Okay good, do it often. Who cares if you can’t exactly put it on your resume. Sexuality is a thing, respect other people’s and don’t be ashamed of yours. Do things, but for the right reason. Don’t do a certain co curricular only because it’ll look good on your resume, do it because you enjoy it. Don’t stop doing something because you think other people are better than you. Maybe they are, but that doesn’t mean you can’t improve.
You’re going to change. You’ll never be the same person again. And that’s not a bad thing. But always remember, your mind is a compass pointing you to your final destination. And your final destination is the place where you draw your final breath. And you can ignore it all you want, but you’re going to die at some point. So stop wasting today being someone who you don’t want to be or not growing into the person you want to be, because life is dynamic. To the point where it will end but we have no idea when.
I found this in notes, I wrote this a year ago and it still stands.
- wake up super early, make a warm drink, and drink it while u r watching the sun rise.
- take a super long bath with music, a bath bomb, candles, magazines, etc!!
- have a movie/tv day with ur fav snacks & treats!!
- go for a long walk and pick some flowers to dry, press, or give to some1 u love!!
- spend some time with animals!! if u have a pet, play with it, pet it, love it!! or, go to an animal shelter and play with all the animals there!!
- host a lil fundraiser for a cause u care about! it doesn’t have to be much, maybe just sell some treats and donate the money to a charity u want 2 support!!
- make some positive journal lists!! some suggestions: small things I love about myself, things that make me happy, kind things to do, etc!
- head to a local farmers’ market and buy urself some potted flowers or herbs! remember to water and care for them!!
- go for a rly long walk!! call it an adventure & explore ur hometown!
- write a letter to a loved one!! u can include little gifts like teabags, tiny candies, polaroids, etc!
- clean a desk or table, light an aromatic candle, and take some time to really think. what’s on ur mind truly, hiding just beneath ur consciousness? can u fix some of ur problems? what’s makin u happy rn?
- mix some natural scented extract w water in an old spray bottle! u can spray it around ur room or whatever! mint 4 balance, Lavender 4 relaxation, vanilla bc it smells sweet, etc!!
- make a playlist on ur phone, or burn it onto a cd! make it soothing & relaxing! u can give some copies 2 ur family members or pals!!
- put on some lipstick, stick out ur tongue in the mirror, take some cute selfies (if ur comfortable!) u r a beautiful work of art and u look just the way ur supposed to!
- don’t 4get to get a good nights sleep, drink lotsa water, and love urself!
- remember it’s okay to have lazy days. it’s ok to relax. it’s ok to pamper urself. you are still moving and growing and learning, u r a tiny little plant with so much to give and to receive and you are always worth it.