April Check In
Look at those trees budding! Spring is here in the Midwest!
April mileage: 279.6 (I may sneak in 6 more before tonight ends)
Road 10K: 7th overall, 1st AG; 39:15
Road 10K: 3rd overall, 1st AG: 39:43
Group long runs: 2
2017 Goals Status:
1) Average 50 miles/week for 2017: currently on track with 57.7 miles/week for the year so far.
2) Run a race at sub-marathon distance that converts to ~3:02:32 or faster on the McMillan Calculator for the marathon: not yet.
3) Do not race a marathon until #2 is achieved: check.
4) Race more frequently, with a target of 10 races in 2017: on track! 7 races completed for the year so far.
5) Do at least one long run per month with the local crew: on track (2 long runs this month).
This was my highest mileage month of the past three years, which is crazy to me as I thought I missed too many runs. I’ve also been able to log 200+ miles for six out of the last seven months.
Overall, I’m very happy with how this training cycle is progressing. The next month will be spent sharpening up for the June half marathon and gently getting down to something near my racing weight. I don’t have any races planned until the half and doubt I will jump into one last minute. Instead, I am viewing this month as my opportunity to largely adhere to my training plan and appropriately taper for a hard effort in a few weeks. Our training group is pressuring me to sign up for a fall marathon with them…we’ll see how the summer goes (goal #2) but I do think it would be a great experience.
Despite the higher miles I have experienced zero aches or pains. For this I am extremely grateful and entirely credit the Lydiard-inspired base I built during the winter. This will undoubtedly be an annual part of my training year in upcoming years.