1. discovering yourself (you are worth discovering)
2. how silly people get when they’re sleepy
3. sitting in hammocks
4. long hugs
5. going to the zoo
6. carving pumpkins
7. cute baby animals
8. kissing in the rain
10. the smell of baking cookies
12. warm blankets when it’s cold
13. you are so loved
15. staying up all night and sleeping in
16. water balloon fights
17. making babies smile
18. movie marathons
19. foreign cities, languages, people & foods
20. those “this never leaves the room” moments
22. you will be missed
23. drinking hot chocolate/coffee/tea
24. binge-watching a series
25. slow dances
26. you are never alone
27. meeting new people
29. watermelon in the summer
32. road trips
33. finally understanding what something means
34. late night phone calls
35. listening to rainstorms
37. climbing trees
38. going for walks
39. doing crazy things with your best friends
40. getting married some day
41. kind comments from others
42. tears of joy
45. laughing really hard
46. making other people happy
47. sleeping in
48. doing things that would make your parents angry if they knew
49. jumping in puddles
50. getting lost
52. you are needed
54. undiscovered forests
56. really good books
57. finding love of all kinds
58. jumping really high on a trampoline
60. full moons
61. crunchy leaves
62. see yourself recover
66. secrets and promises
67. autumn leaves
68. knowing all of the lyrics to a song
70. the smell after rain
71. getting handwritten letters in the mail
73. clean sheets
74. the first snow of the winter
75. petting puppies
76. city lights
77. late night walks
78. building forts
79. smiling in the middle of a kiss
80. people care about you
81. you are important
83. thunder storms
84. having kids if you want
85. getting hickies
87. when a baby holds on to one of your fingers with its whole hand
88. going to comic con
89. kind strangers
91. tree houses
93. solo dance parties in your room
94. new video games
95. long drives
96. being awake when everyone else is asleep
97. eye sex
98. smiling at strangers
100. you could save someone’s life
101. the sky and it’s pretty colours
103. walks on the beach
104. sitting on rooftops
105. paint fights
106. there will be a time you’ll see that you’re glad you didn’t do it
107. pillow fights
108. lying on grass and watching clouds
109. you matter
110. watching fireworks
112. snow cones
113. bay windows
114. silence that isn’t awkward
115. messy hair
116. warm showers
117. when you start smiling and can’t stop
- when people remember little things about me??
- when they send me a quick ‘hello, i hope you’re doing well!!’
- also when they send me cute song recs that reminds them of me
- when they ask me out for breakfast!!
- listens to me
- listening to them talk about their faves
- the little smile people give when you compliment them??
- how people respond to good morning messages
- supports my choices!!!
- when u actually care about me!!
- the way they talk about their pets
- how they treat little children
- when they give me small, random but cute stuff (i.e: candies, wild flowers, etc)
- when they do kind stuff to me secretly???
- good smellin people!!
- when u help me out with anything!!!
- kind and warm and soft ppl!!!
- being very patient + understanding!!
- knows their limits!!!
- handwritten letters!!!!
“Octavia E. Butler: Telling My Stories” runs through Aug. 7, 2017, in the West Hall of the Library and puts on view approximately 100 items—letters, photographs, handwritten affirmations, and first editions of her books, and more—from the Butler literary archive, which came to The Huntington in 2008.
pictured: Octavia E. Butler, notes on writing, “Tell stories filled with facts…” ca. 1970-1995. The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens. Copyright Estate of Octavia E. Butler.