[april study challenge] -10.04.17-
day 10: what are some of your general study tips?
this is funny because i’m a writer for my university paper and i’m actually working on a piece about strategies for preparing for finals week!! anyway, these are some of my favorites:
- use the pomodoro technique. alternating between bursts of work + relaxation are proven to be more useful then say, studying for four hours and then taking a break. what’s the idea work/break time? i use the 52 minutes of work, 17 minutes of break schedule. it works for me and hopefully it’ll work for you!!
- flashcards. i love flashcards. i switch from making them handmade out of notecards and creating quizlet sets. the only reason i don’t like paper flashcards is because it seems like every time it rains in my city, they get rUINED somehow. ugh.
- turn your phone on airplane mode. this is something i just recently started doing. i basically put my phone on airplane mode so i don’t get any distracting notifications. (i have imessages on my mac for emergencies, so if my phone is on airplane mode but someone just *has* to get in touch with me, they can)
- study someplace you won’t get distracted. easier said than done. sometimes, i can be productive in my dorm; other times, my roommate asks me if i want to play soccer (yes, inside our dorm) and i actually cannot say no. if you really need to get work done/study, make sure you’re in an environment that’ll allow you to do so!!
- find the methods that work for you. not every method you hear of is going to work for you and that’s okay! everyone is different. it’s cliche but true. sometimes you just have to do a little experimenting to find out what works well with you.