Psilocybe semilanceata, commonly known as the liberty cap, is a psilocybin or “magic mushroom" that contains the psychoactive compounds psilocybin, psilocin and baeocystin. They ar the most common type of ‘magic mushroom’ in the UK.
It is important to know that different types of ‘magic mushroom’ will differ in how strong and how toxic they are.
For example, the amanita muscaria or ‘fly agaric’ mushroom is stronger than the traditional ‘liberty cap’ mushroom and eating this raw could kill you. It’ll definitely make you vomit like mad.
People don’t tend to eat fly agaric mushrooms raw as they can make you feel really sick and also because there is a greater risk of poisoning and death from this family of mushrooms unlike the Liberty Caps.
After picking, Liberty Caps are often eaten raw or are dried out and stored. Some people use the dried mushrooms to make tea. Drying reduces the weight of the fungi but not their potency.
Here are the main effects of eating Liberty Caps:
Colours, sounds and objects appear distorted.
Your sense of time and movement can speed up – or slow down.
You may feel disoriented, tired or sick – and some users can get stomach pains or diarrhoea.
You may hallucinations good or bad things.
You may hurt yourself and not realise to the extent of the injury.
I'd love a witchy intro if you're still doing them! Sending on Anon since my witch blog is a side blog sryyy (plantwitchmother)