I made up this messy low twisted bun thing for work yesterday because I didn’t want to wash my hair, but I was actually really pleased with how it turned out, so I thought I’d share.
This will probably work better with coarse hair types–if you have smooth or slippery, fine hair, this works better if you don’t wash your hair for a day or two beforehand.
It’s super fast, super easy and inspired by that inside-out ponytail you see on Pinterest everywhere. I basically kept on looping the ponytail through until it made a bun!
It just looks like a neat little updo from the front, but the back is super twisty and elegant.
I made a little step-by-step doodle above, but here are the steps explained:
1) Part your hair somewhere near the center–extreme side parts won’t work well for this. You should have almost equal portions of hair on both sides, as if you were going to make pigtails.
2) Put the two portions of hair in a low ponytail, keeping the part intact.
3) Bring your ponytail back up towards the top of your head, and then loop the bottom of the ponytail down through the open space at the center of your part and pull through to twist the ponytail in on itself. You can leave it at this step to just have a pretty twisty ponytail thing, if that’s your jam.
4) Repeat step 3 until the just the tips of your hair are left to loop over. To close the loopy bun thing, tuck the tips over the top of the bun part, behind the bun (closer to your scalp).
5) Pin the shit out of the tips of your hair so your bun thing doesn’t come unrolled. Hairspray if you need to (my hair is coarse enough that I only needed a few bobby pins and 2-day-old hair to make it stay in place).