So I have a friend dying her hair soon and I just gave her my best advice and I thought I should share it with the rest of you ☺️
- My first piece of advice would be use manic panic brand dye. They have the best and brightest color and they’re vegetable based so it actually nourishes your hair. (And they’re 100% vegan 😄)
- Make sure when you have dye in your hair wash it as little as you can possibly stand. I can go about a week and a half and it makes my dye last forever.
- Make sure you know how much dye you need and buy extra. I have pretty thick hair and it takes 8-10 ounces of dye to cover my hair but I always buy 12 just in case. Any left over dye you have can be saved to touch up your roots (make sure you read the label to see if the dye can be stored after you open it) If you have thinner hair then 4-6 ounces should be perfect. But I highly recommend buying extra if you have the money (manic panic is about $10 for 4 ounces)
- Before you dye, don’t wash your hair for a week or so if you can stand it. The dye will strip your hair of all of its oils so the more oily the better. (But after you rinse the dye out it’ll feel the cleanest you’ve ever felt your hair ever. It’s like a super shampoo. It’s the best feeling in the world)
- Use conditioner every time you wash your hair. Use conditioner. Use. Conditioner. (This isn’t hair dye specific, just general hair advice)
- If you live with your parents, warn them that hair dye can (and most likely will) stain your tub/sink.
- I don’t care what the directions say, leave your hair dye on for as long as you can stand it. If the directions say leave it on for 30 minutes, leave it on for 2 hours. Manic panic’s label says 30 minutes but your color will turn out much better if you leave it on for longer. My experience is the longer the better, and use a blow dryer to add heat while you wait, (15 minutes at most with the blow dryer) it intensifies the color.
- If you can stand it, put a shower cap over your hair and sleep on it and rinse your hair in the morning when you wake up. (I’ve never tried to over night method but I’ve heard amazing things about it!)
- If you’re bleaching your hair I recommend getting a deep conditioning treatment (you can get them at Sally’s beauty for pretty cheap, they’re basically a really fancy conditioner)
- I also recommend TIGI’s hair repair mask (about $10) and a really good conditioner. You need to nourish your hair a loooot if you bleach it.
- Have fun!!!! And it’s totally okay to be nervous, dying your hair can change your appearance but at the end of the day it’s so much fun!!
Please feel free to add to this with your own advice!