Tips to write Tony in fics (Mostly MCU)
I’m obviously not an expert, and I certainly am never going to claim to be one, but there are a couple of things I noticed and thought maybe it would help someone someday to write Tony Stark.
1. Tony doesn’t lose words or fumble or become garbled. This (because I’m an idiot who links everything he does back to him being a Gemini) is a very Gemini trait to me. He is all words. If you’re writing him as flustered, remember that he talks too much and he deflects, he will bring in 600 different things into your conversation and he will showboat but he will not lose words. Geminis are people of conversations and communication.
2. When he’s vulnerable and feeling weak, he puts on a mask, quite literally. Now, in 616 he would just grab his Iron Man mask and wear it even but in MCU you have your sunglasses. So, if you want to show him as feeling exposed, vulnerable, hurt or anything, make him wear sunglasses. Except for when he’s with Rhodey or Pepper. Even Pepper is fine sometimes because she has a high level of vulnerability provoking potential with him. But with Rhodey, if they are not in a crowded area, he doesn’t wear sunglasses.
3. He has a clenched jaw, tight-lipped smile when he’s pissed but also a bit resigned to being pissed. Use this. Body language speaks louder than introspective words sometimes.
4. He LOOKS PEOPLE IN THE EYE till they either hit a soft spot or find a chink in his armor.
5. He won’t fly into burning buildings all the time. No, he would rather find a solution with the nearest resource, and only when the nearest resource is him will he fly in. Yes, he does have self-destructive tendencies but he’s not a complete moron.
6. He likes driving his cars and prefers to drive himself 99% of the times.
7. If you have to show him being worried about a long-term problem, get him to his workshop and make him do something that is large-scale, tedious, and involving making his suit better.
8. He snacks, like all the time. He lacks sleep not food. This is MCU btw.
9. He DOES take orders well when necessary and when he knows that people are capable of getting a job done. *points to IM2 where he asked Rhodey and every time he did what Steve told*
10. If someone doesn’t let him finish talking, you can be damn sure he’s going to cut them off too and with a sharp tone. Again, Gemini. They need to make their point.
11. Watches. He has a watch collection and he knows his brands well. Pepper knows her art but Tony has his hobbies too and they are NOT always tinkering alone.
12. He has a vested interest in car racing. Throw in some F1 love.
13. If people around him are panicking, he will act calm and use a calm voice.
14. Even when he monologues to the bad guys, he isn’t threatening in a stereotypically hero way. He will practically explain what is going to happen to them. He will explain things because he likes spelling things out.
15. He is eloquent. Seriously, use complex words, he does too. He’s the kind of guy who will throw in words you only read in literature while having a casual conversation.
16. He spouts research facts all the time. His pop culture references are good but he also clearly keeps track of research on varied topics and consistently uses them.
17. He DOES care for his health. Listen, he takes medicines, he drinks green goop, he eats, he checks his health consistently. He isn’t careless with his health.
18. If he isn’t wrong, he won’t apologize. If he is, he will. Of course, all of this depends on what he believes is wrong or right, but if he believes himself to be wrong, HE WILL APOLOGIZE. Use that.
19. He remembers faces and words. Listen, he has an excellent memory regarding certain things. If you’ve made a slight impression on him, he will remember you even after YEARS. The reason he didn’t remember Yinsen at first was because he didn’t talk to him properly. He remembered Klaaw’s tattoo and work because he has clearly had a conversation regarding it.
20. He doesn’t sass back at his AI to have the last word. They often, and consistently, have the last word in sass and he takes it without a pause. BUT they don’t run his life. Don’t ever write him being okay with them tattling to someone about him. He will freak out and do something rash if that ever happens.
Let me know if you’d like more :D