Can y'all explain how antifa isn't fascist (inadvertently or otherwise)? I don't mean to be a troll, and I don't think antifa is fascist, but I have some friends that insist it is. I'm just looking for some logical responses to that kind of claim from people who know what their talking about, since I'm relatively new to the antifa movement. Thanks!
Your “friends” are appalling shitstains. How is it that they think the people fighting against fascism = fascists? That makes as much sense as this:
We’re going to go ahead and guess some things about these “friends” of yours:
1) Your friends are unable to come up with a definition of fascism that bears any resemblance to actual fascism. Go ahead and ask them to define what they mean by “fascism” and see how closely it resembles the actual definitions of the term.
2) Your friends are free speech absolutists. They believe that not only should anyone be allowed to say anything anywhere, but that other people/groups are somehow obligated to provide them with platforms to say those things and should never do anything to oppose them, no matter how objectionable those things are.
One of the problems with this position is what Karl Popper called “The Paradox of Tolerance.”
As a RASH skinhead once put it to us: when you’re openly advocating and organizing for mass murder and genocide, you’ve forfeited your right to a polite and civil conversation.
3) Your friends are guilty of the logical fallacy of false equivalence. Fascists, bigots, and white supremacists have murdered thirty-two people so far this year. We bet these friends of yours don’t have shit to say about those murders, but will wail and moan about “anTEEfa” punching a couple of people. Check out our essay about how this applies to anti-fascism today.
4) Your friends have no fucking idea what to do about fascism. If you pointed out to your friends that armed gangs of racist terrorists are literally marching in our streets and killing people (like in Charlottesville or Portland) and asked them what the solution to that problem is, they won’t have any ideas that make any sense or would work in the real world.
Antifa has been around for over eighty years. We know what it takes to stop fascist violence dead in its tracks. What’s the track record of your friends in terms of protecting people from bigoted violence?
5) By aping the same sorts of bullshit arguments that literal neo-nazis and white
nationalists supremacists use to try to turn people against their enemies, your “friends” are literally collaborating with racist terrorists to further their agenda. That agenda, by the way, is to enslave and murder people.
Time to get some new friends, tbh. Here’s some musical inspiration for that!