Happy Tuesday! Today I’ll be covering a basic mineral that many women (sometimes men) frequently find themselves deficient in. Today’s #NutritionTalkTuesday topic is IRON. Iron plays a major role in carrying oxygen throughout our bodies, getting oxygen to our muscles during exercise, and helping our muscles store and use oxygen. Many women find themselves iron deficient because of their menstrual cycle. It’s hard to hang on to when you’re losing it monthly. Aside from oxygen IRON has many other roles, if you’re IRON deficient you can feel where it’s lacking
SYMPTOMS OF IRON DEFICIENCY
1. Extreme fatigue especially after exercise
2. Shortness or breath
3. Brittle or grooved nails
4. Heavy menstrual cycles
5. Cravings for ice, clay, corn starch or paper
Those are just a few
TYPES OF IRON
Depending on your dietary restrictions you can decide which source of IRON is best for you
Non Heme IRON: is IRON found in plants or in IRON fortified foods
Heme IRON: is found in poultry, meats and seafood, it also contains non heme iron
HOW MUCH IRON DO WE NEED
WOMEN: women between the ages of 19-50 are recommended 18mg of IRON a day and 27 mg if pregnant
MEN: men between the ages of 19-50 are recommended 8mg of IRON a day
*if you suspect you are IRON deficient please see your healthcare provider*
FOOD SOURCES FOR IRON
1. White Beans
4. Kidney Beans
6. Grass fed beef
There any many many more but if you’re looking for a quick, inexpensive way to add more IRON into your diet go for beans! Thanks again for reading, if you have questions or comments leave them below! And if you need recommendations on a good IRON supplement ask away!
On this day in music history: April 28, 1979 - “Reunited” by Peaches & Herb hits #1 on the Billboard R&B singles chart for 4 weeks, topping the Hot 100 for 4 weeks on May 5, 1979, also peaking at #4 on the Adult Contemporary chart on May 12, 1979. Written by Freddie Perren and Dino Fekaris, it is the biggest hit for the Washington DC based vocal duo. Originally formed in 1966, the first pairing of the duo consists of Herb Fame (born Herbert Feemster) and Francine Barker (born Francine Edna Hurd). They are signed to CBS Records’ Date imprint, scoring hits with “Close Your Eyes” (#4 R&B, #8 Pop), “Let’s Fall In Love” (#11 R&B, #21 Pop), and a cover version of “Love Is Strange” (#16 R&B, #13 Pop). By 1970, Barker leaves Peaches & Herb, having become tired of the road and wanting to spend more time at home with her growing family. Herb also stops performing for several years, becoming a policeman for the Washington DC police department. In 1976, he decides to revive the duo and go in search of a “new Peaches”. With the help of friend and fellow DC musician Van McCoy, he finds singer Linda Greene. For their first effort, they record one album (“Peaches & Herb”) for MCA Records (produced by McCoy and Charles Kipps, Jr.) with one single charting titled “We’re Still Together”. It peaks at #98 on the R&B chart, Bubbling Under the pop chart at #107 in September of 1977. A short time later, Peaches & Herb are signed to a production deal (MVP Productions through Polydor Records) by songwriter and producers Freddie Perren and Dino Fekaris, and begin work on their comeback album. Released in late 1978, the album “2 Hot!” quickly spins off the smash “Shake Your Groove Thing” (#4 R&B, #5 Pop). Polydor Records are forced to rush release “Reunited” as a single when it begins receiving heavy airplay from both R&B and pop radio stations as an LP cut before “Shake Your Groove Thing” peaks on the charts. Released in late February of 1979, the single quickly hits and races up the Pop, R&B and AC charts simultaneously, selling over two million copies in the US alone. “Reunited” is certified Platinum in the US by the RIAA.
Rules: Answer the questions then makeup 11 of your own
1 .Marvel or DC?
2. Hair Color or what Hair Color do you wish you had?
— I have sandy blonde, wish I had black hair like my mom (dark hair is so gorgeous to me)
3. Favorite Disney Movie?
— THIS IS HARD. Um a tie between The Jungle Book, Lady and the Tramp, Emperors New Groove and Aristocats
4. What is your favorite piece of clothing?
— Big, fuzzy, oversized sweaters. I have like 6
5. Soda, Coke, or Pop
6. What pets do you own?
— A Beta fish (long live Mr. Gille) and a bulldog (Queen Sophia)
7. Favorite childhood game?
— Hide and seek
8. Favorite Disney or other, female Hero?
— God these questions are difficult. Probably either Mulan (she fucking saved China) or Pocahontas (she’s Native American and I have Native American in my family tree so she reppin.)
9. Physical Books or Digital?
— definitely Physical
10. What do you dip your fries in?
— I dip everything in Hot sauce
11. What is your view on life after death?
— serious ass question all the sudden … I respect everyone’s opinions on this topic but my belief currently is that there’s a heaven and hell
1. What is your favorite memory from your childhood?
2. What is your favorite flower?
3. What Movie could you watch over and over?
4. What is your all time favorite fandom?
5. What’s the creepiest/scariest thing that’s happened to you?
6. One thing you’ve always wanted to do but knew it’d most likely wouldn’t happen for you?
7. Favorite bad-ass female (either character or in your personal life; yes, it can be yourself. Hype yourself up Queen)
Alright I’ve got nothing against bandwagons so why not
Shuffle time! I was tagged by @breaking-this-fixation (thank you!!!) to put my playlist of shuffle 10 times and see what I get
1. Hoodoo // Muse
2. Shine // Muse
3. Angel of Harlem // U2
4. The Groove // Muse
5. If It Makes You Happy // Sheryl Crow
6. Kiss This // The Struts
7. Walk On // U2
8. Silversun Pickups // Lazy Eye
9. Remember the Name // Fort Minor
10. If You Want My Body // Rod Stewart
1. Song I like the most: Villiers Terrace, Do It Clean, Angels & Devils
2. Album cover I like the most: The cover for their self-titled album is cool. (Fun fact: I think Anton Corbijn did the photography!)
3. Song that makes me wanna dance: Crocodiles, maybe. It’s got a great groove.
4. Song that made me cry: Ocean Rain? (Idk if Ive ever cried to a Bunnymen song, tbh)
5. Member I feel the closest connection with: N/A
6. Hottest/most beautiful member: Ian…?
7. Most entertaining member: Idk
8. merchandise I own: Just a few cds
9. If I have seen them live and where: N/A
10. Memories involving the band: I got really into them my senior year of college. I felt they were really good to listen to while making crappy art, lol