Any tips on how to start my very first grimoire? Im not great at organization rn, so any suggestion helps.
Yes I do have some tips :)
1. You do not have to keep a traditional pen-and-paper grimoire. A digital or printed grimoire is just as valid.
2. Avoid piling up huge amounts of information that you plan to transcribe to your grimoire later. You’ll never get around to it.
3. Don’t write down information you already know. People are stuck on making a grimoire that holds every ounce of knowledge they have in their brains and I’m like… why? Why do I need to write down color correspondences I know when I already know them and will never look at this page for reference? Why waste the energy? Grimoires, IMO, should be for information you haven’t memorized. Such as elaborate rituals, charms, and recipes you simply aren’t likely to remember.
4. Only write down spells, rituals, and charms that you have already tried and have proof they actually work. If you are going through the trouble of typing or writing out an entire grimoire, don’t go to the trouble of transcribing cool spells and rituals until you’ve already done them and have proof they work. So you’ve found 5 cool spells online that you want to try. IMO, a grimoire is not a Pinterest board of things you want to try out - it’s a working textbook of things you know will work for you. So only include things you know work :) This will naturally save you time as well! Also, why not a spiral-bound textbook to keep track of spells and things you are trying out before they go in to the grimoire?
5. If you are hand-writing a grimoire, look up systems such as Bullet Journal or similar hand-written notebook systems to keep things organized. Just reviewing a system of organization should give you good ideas and tips on how to keep a handwritten journal organized :)
6. Don’t worry about sections. Occasionally I will leave a few pages blank after an entry when I know there will be more. Otherwise charms are scattered all over, rituals are scattered all over. My Book is basically written in chronological order of what I have learned.
7. Use decorations to hide bad formatting. When a big space is left over due to skipping too much space, use pretty drawings and things to cover it up ^_^ This is more fun and easy for me personally than trying to decorate every page super fancy.
8. Don’t worry about being too fancy with it. The only thing I do for my grimoire that could be considered fancy is using the same type of pen and writing very neatly every time. Then, I fancy it up by using contextual drawings to cover up bad formatting ^-^
9. If you are going for a bound notebook without removable or transferable pages, I like to get a grid notebook such as those made by Moleskin. The grid helps me keep things extra organized on the page.
10. Obvious tip, but ensure you test your pens before you start on a new fancy notebook - nothing worse than starting the title page and realizing your new pens bleed right through the paper :(
11. If you do want a much more organized grimoire, go for a binder! If you want something cuter you can easily find or order half-sized or smaller binders and you can buy or trim paper to fit. This way you can easily reorganize all information and add decorative pages anywhere you like without having to plan ahead :)