Humans crave melodrama, they crave fiction. When you’re sitting alone and texting, it’s because you’re bored. Our imagination is our greatest gift, and our greatest curse. Because we’re bored all the time. And that’s what fiction does for us. It gives us a sort of simulator for bigger stories, bigger emotions. That’s what ‘Lord of the Rings’ is, that’s what 'Phantom of the Opera’ is. That’s what 'Goodfellas’ is. That’s everything, it’s us watching, and feeling. The human capacity for empathy, through imagination, that’s why we have stories.
Justice smith is, no argument, the single cutest lead in anything, ever, and his performance in the get down is so inspiring and breathtaking. the sensitivity and openness and frankness portrayed as a black teenage boy with his black teenage friends? That’s a revolutionary role and his acting is phenomenal, his rapping is amazing, his entire character is the greatest gift to my laptop screen of all time. I love him a million times over (and also- I’m so happy for him? Like the last thing I saw him in was paper towns and that was a manic pixie dream girl shit fest with two poc as side characters, and to go from that to the get down? Must be an amazing experience. I love him I would die for him)
Muhammad Ali in his own words: Ten greatest Ali quotes
As renowned a boxer Muhammad Ali was, “The Greatest of All Time” had a gift for words. Ali’s eloquence has resulted in phrases like that still resonate in society and transcend sports.
The former heavyweight champion died Friday night at the age of 74, finally succumbing to a long battle with Parkinson’s disease.
He was never shy and was always able to drop a memorable line. Here are 10 of his best quotes.
1. “Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.”
2. “I’m the greatest thing that ever lived! I’m the king of the world! I’m a bad man. I’m the prettiest thing that ever lived.”
3. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’”
4. “The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
5. “It’s just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.”
6. “I know where I’m going and I know the truth, and I don’t have to be what you want me to be. I’m free to be what I want.”
7. “I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick; I’m so mean I make medicine sick.”
8. “Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them — a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”
9. “The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.”
10. “Friendship … is not something you learn in school. But if you haven’t learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven’t learned anything.”