1. You have a lot of professional/adulting commitments. Like a LOT. And a lot of them no one will know about (unlike grades) so you have to learn to prioritize and be proud of yourself for accomplishing things that are scary/new.
2. You can’t please everyone. Ever. So take time to find out who you are so you can use your ideal self as your guidebook to life.
3. As a professional adult, you are responsible for coming to work with the best, most productive version of yourself, because other people are affected by the manner in which you show up. This means you are responsible for sleeping enough, maintaining physical and mental health, and taking care of your emotional needs in advance so you can perform well in your job.
4. Productivity means different things at different times. Sometimes it means sleep. Sometimes it means mental break. Sometimes it means getting in touch with nature to put things in perspective. Sometimes it means dropping that thing you planned to do because something important came up.
5. Nobody’s perfect. Get in the habit of self-reflecting so that you start noticing the things you did right as well as the things that went a little weird or wrong. You are doing so many things in a day now and answering to so many different people that you’re going to slip up occasionally, but you are also learning as you go how to do things right too :) I love my mentors because they remember what it was like to be in my shoes.
6. Write thank you notes to people who have helped you. Especially those who have donated their time to you.
7. Seek help but also give help to those who come after you.
8. Keep good records and keep them organized. You never know when you might have to prove you worked or followed the rules.
9. Your integrity and reputation in academia are gold. Do not put them at unnecessary risk. Be very careful what you post on social media. The safest thing to do is:
10. Be authentic. Take the hard way if it is authentic to who you are. Even if you think no one will ever find out, it is safest to do what you think is right and to have good intentions, because your choices reflect your character. Make sure to always present your character consistently with the incredible kindness and excellence that is your essence.