grace atkinson

Famous Lesbians, Lesbian History:

Valerie Solanas (1936-1988) - author, radical feminist

  • wrote the SCUM Manifesto in 1967
  • she attempted to murder Andy Warhol in 1968, confessed that he “had too much control in my life.” She served three years for this attempt. She also stated: “ I consider that a moral act. And I consider it immoral that I missed. I should have done target practice.”
  • Ti-Grace Atkinson, the president of the National Organization for Women at the time, called Valerie “the first outstanding champion of women’s rights” and “a ‘heroine’ of the feminist movement”
  • Valerie herself on feminist organizations: “[nothing more than] a civil disobedience luncheon club.” She stated she “reject[s] mainstream liberal feminism for its blind adherence to cultural codes of feminine politeness and decorum which the SCUM Manifesto identifies as the source of women’s debased social status”

the list of proposed books to ban from “gays against gentrification (GAG)” before they deleted their facebook: 

-Admission Accomplished - Jill Johnston
-Against Sadomasochism - Robin R. Linden, Darlene R. Pagano, Diana E. Russell, Susan Leigh Star
-Amazon Odyssey: Collection of Writings - Ti-Grace Atkinson
-Buddhism after Patriarchy - Rita M. Gross
-The Female Man - Joana Russ
-Female Sexual Sl*v*ry - Kathleen Barry
-Feminism Unmodified - Catharine A. Mackinnon
-First Buddhist Women: Poems and Stories of Awakening Susan Murcott
-Gyn/Ecology - Mary Daly
-The Idea of Prostitution - Sheila Jeffreys
-The Industrial Vagina: The Political Economy of the Global Sex Trade - Sheila Jeffreys
-Intercourse - Andrea Dworkin
-The Lesbian Heresy - Sheila Jeffreys
-Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women - Geraldine Brooks
-Not a Choice, Not a Job: Exposing the Myths about Prostitution and the Global Sex Trade - Janice Raymond
-Not for Sale: Feminists Resisting Prostitution and Pornography-Of Women Born - Adrienne Rich
-Pornography: Men Possessing Women - Andrea Dworkin
-Radical Acceptance - Tara Brach
-The Sexual Liberals and the Attack on Feminism - Janice Raymond
-Women As Wombs: Reproductive Technologies and the Battle over Women’s Freedom - Janice Raymond

36 Questions Women Have For Men

1) How does it feel to be the same sex as Donald Trump?
> How does it feel to be the same sex as the majority of people who murder their children?
> How does it feel to be the same sex as Sarah Pailin, Hillary Clinton, Gloria Stienem, MisandryMirmaid, GeeksndMisandry, Lucie Slater, Valerie Solanas, Catherine Comins, Margaret Sanger, Robin Morgan, Andrea Dworkin, Susan Brownmiller, Sharon Stone, Catherine MacKinnon, Sally Miller Gearhart, Marilyn French, Germaine Greer, Hodee Edwards, Kathleen C. Faller, Barbara Jordan, Pat Poole, Naomi Wolf, Gerda Lerner, Roxanne Dunbar, Lenah Dunham,
Sarah Nyberg, Briana Wu, Anita Sarkesian, Zoe Quinn, Katha Pollitt, Judith Levine, Jilly Cooper, Sylvia Fraser, Donna Laframboise, Ti-Grace Atkinson, Joyce Trebilcot, Daphne Patai, home-of-amazons, realmisandryinhaiku, justicebadass, stfueverything, stfumras, japhettheprophet, milkyderp, wehavetogobacktauriel, veryradicalfeminist, Tracie Egan Morrissey, Laci Green, valleyofmeth, theroguefeminist, theplaceinsidetheblizzard, destructivefeminist, princesswolfgang, woahtheretyke, gayindustrialcomplex, lindorinand, dorkington, roycevomit, atomic-glitter, realmofvikings, ornerychelicerata, and xxhannah-i-saw-a-unicornxx?
2a) Why do you hate rom-coms?
> I don’t. Some of my favorite movies are rom-coms. But for men, and women, who hate rom-coms, there is this thing called preference. It has nothing to do with gender. For example, say someone doesn’t like vanilla ice cream. They are a heathen, of course, but they are allowed that preference. Say that person is a woman. Now say that women on average don’t like vanilla ice cream. Is it okay to assume they are all vanilla hating heathens? No. And neither is it okay to assume that there is something wrong with a person for not liking something because of their gender. Even if it is a delicious, creamy treat delivered by the great Yog-Sothoth Himself.
2b) Or do you just feel like you need to hate them?
> See above.
2c) Everybody likes the notebook. Everybody likes Beyoncé. It’s just a fact.
> This isn’t a question. I’ve never seen the notebook. I despise Beyoncé’s music, and she’s kind of a hypocrite. But, again, preferences. People are allowed to have them, and this cultish ‘like what I like, or you’re a bad person’ schtick you’re trying to pull is scary, simply because people who’ve done things with a similar mentality have ended up killing hundreds to thousands of people. Opinions are not facts. Shut up.
3) Why do you make women sit around and talk about men in movies, when y'all easily just sit around and talk about boobs for hours.
>One: No one does that. The only time I’ve seen girls talk about guys in movies is when they’re talking about whose butt is cute, who would be a good kisser, or the weird grunting noises they make when Thor and Loki come onto a screen. Two, men JOKE about tiddies, and it usually only lasts a few seconds. The only time bewbs are the focus 'for hours’ is if a guy is alone and jerkin it. Or when they are talking to a loved one about Breast Cancer.
4) Why do you automatically assume that you won’t like TV or movies that star a female lead?
>BitchWhere.jpeg
> Here’s a list of my favorite TV shows and movies: Teen Titans, Avatar The Last Airbender, Attack On Titan, Harry Potter, Kim Possible, Adventure Time, Power Puff Girls, Ben 10, Gravity Falls, Fairly Odd Parents, Pokemon, most Batman movies and TV shows, Alice In Wonderland, iCarly, Pretty Little Liars, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, NCIS, Once Upon A Time, Criminal Minds, Castle, Bones, Teen Wolf, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tangled, Silent Hill, Big Hero 6, Coralline, Rugrats and All Grown Up, Yu-Gi-Oh!, V For Vendetta, Frozen. Basically, try again.
5a) Why are you surprised when women are funny?
> I’m not. I notice it, acknowledge it, and move on. However, women who use comedy as a front to push an ideology aren’t funny. Neither are men who do that.
5b) I’m probably funnier than you.
No. No, you’re not. Your condescending, holier than thou attitude ensures that you couldn’t be funny if the funnyman had knocked up the funnywoman and made you as their lovechild.
6a) Why do you think we’re obsessed with you when we hook up?
> One; I don’t. Two; I never implied that I did. Three; Methinks the lady doth protest too much. Four; keep projecting there, sweetie.
6b) 9 times out of 10, I just want you to leave too. I’m busy, I got shit to do.
> Well, I don’t partake in this hookup culture bullshit, so we aren’t likely to meet, thankfully. I actually want something real.
7a) Why can’t I sleep with as many people as I want to without being judged?
> Everyone gets judged for everything they do. Deal with it! Also, as long as you’re safe, and aren’t intentionally spreading diseases, fuck around all you want. Just don’t expect a meaningful relationship to come of that behavior.
7b) When men do it, they’re congratulated.
> In movies! In real life most men hate men like that.
8) Why do you consider a woman a tease if she doesn’t sleep with you after three dates, but a slut if she sleeps with you on the first date?
> The tease thing is a myth pushed by the television industry. Most people don’t believe that. The only people I’ve seen call a woman a slut for fucking on the first date are OTHER WOMEN.
9) In what world does no mean yes? No means no.
> This one, on opposite day. /jokes But in all seriousness, probably Japan or the Middle East. Feminists should really look into that.
10) Why do you say that women are too emotional to be leaders, then justify catcalling by saying that men just can’t control themselves?
> Two more myths perpetuated by television! Yay! The only people who say men can’t control themselves are rapists trying (unsuccessfully) to get out of a rape charge. And the Middle East. Also, some women enjoy catcalling. You can’t enforce a rule on that based on some people not liking it.
11) Why do you think that just because you’re nice to me, I owe you my body?
> Rapists think this. If someone thinks like this, you should get them professional help, or call the cops. Also, have you seen how tumblr lesbians interact with straight women? Talk about niceguy syndrome.
12) Why would you ever send an unsolicited dick pic?
> April Fools Day? /more jokes. But in all honesty, I wouldn’t, because I’m insecure about my dick size, and don’t want to be made fun of.
13a) Why do you feel like it’s okay to harass women,
> I don’t.
13b) or make offensive comments about women,
> Offensive humor is one of the best kind, right up there with dark humor. Plus, it gets a rise out of oversensitive asshats like you, and that’s amusing.
13c) but when somebody does it to your sister, it’s not okay?
> Because fuck with my family, and I’ll fuck you up so bad that you’ll think that Sharia Law is a utopia, that’s why.
14)How does it feel to interrupt-
> Pretty fuckin good, actually. /even more jokes
14) How does it feel to interrupt me when I’m in the middle of making a point during a meeting?
> Assholes do this. Not men. Conversely, if the point you are making is controversial, expect negativity, and be prepared to have the louder, but calmer, voice.
15a) Why do you have to sit with your legs so wide open?
> Balls. Also, normally, they’re about shoulders width apart. If they are any wider, they are usually a sign of low self-esteem and a desire not to be bothered. Also, quit taking pictures of us on the subway without our consent. Not only is that creepy, it’s illegal.
15bb) I get that you have balls
> Obviously not, or you’d know why I have to sit with my legs apart.
15c) but I don’t stand around with my arms wide open to make room for my boobs.
> Are your boobs underneath your armpits? No? Then shut the fuck up, you have no idea what you are talking about.
16) Why are women perceived as the weaker sex even though we literally birth you?
> Sexual Dimorphism. Women, on average, are weaker than men, on average. Are there women who are stronger than men? Abso-fuckin-lutely. Rhonda Rousy could kick my ass six ways from Sunday. Also, birthing has nothing to do with strength. That’s pain tolerance.
17) Why is it so bad to show your emotions? It means you’re human.
> I don’t know. #MaleTears, #MasculinitySoFragile, #KillAllMen, maybe things like that?
18) Why are you always trying to prove your masculinity to me?
> I’m not. I mostly do it for myself, or other guys. Kind of like you and makeup.
19a) Why the f**k isn’t it ladylike to cuss?
> She says as she’s censored. It’s foul language, and it’s impolite for anyone to fucking use you fucking shit.
19b) When did words get genders?
> Ask the Spanish, chica.
20) Why is it your first instinct to doubt women who have been sexually violated or raped?
> What a loaded fuckin question! If they were actually violated or raped, I don’t doubt them, but until it can be proven, there is this thing that our democratic society is built upon called DUE PROCCESS. INNOCENCE UNTIL PROOVEN GUILT. Look it up sometime.
21) Why do you assume a woman is angry because she’s on her period?
> They usually are more irritable on their periods? Also, quit using the 'I’m on my period’ excuse, and we will quit assuming that is the problem when you are upset.
22a) Why do you think women that wear makeup are false advertising?
> I don’t. I rarely see guys do this. Most of the time, it’s other women.
22b) We could say the same thing about your dick size.
> It’s shit like this that makes me insecure. Also, did you compare makeup, something you have complete control over, to a dick, something men are born with and can’t change? Fuck, that’s sexist.
23a) Why isn’t it weird that there’s a bunch of old white men sitting in a room making legislation about what I can and can’t do with my body?
> Well, they were elected by you and people like you. Women outnumber men in America, and more women vote than men, and the people elected represent what those who elected them want, so if you want laws passed that benefit you, do your job and vote. Also, if you hate old white men so much, why are so many women voting for Bernie Sanders?
23b) do you have a coochie?
> Do you have a schlong? No? Then shut up about circumcision.
24) Why are straight guys so obsessed with lesbians?
> Why are straight, and even lesbian, girls on tumblr such yaoi fetishists? Also, straight guys find girls hot. So something with two girls is twice as hot. Also, straight guys generally don’t like looking at penises. Because they’re straight.
25) How does it feel to get kicked in the balls?
> Have you been stabbed? It’s worse, but the pain doesn’t last as long. Stab pain lasts longer; ball kick pain = hurts more.
26) Do you ever get tired of trying to be manly all the time?
> Some men do. I like being physically useful, and playing violent video games, and things like that though.
27) Why are you so afraid of gender equality?
> Considering it already exists for women in America, and I live here, I’m not. If I were, I’d go live in the Middle East.
28) Why do I deserve to be paid less than you?
> Maybe you work fewer hours, take more brakes, take more sick days, or don’t work in the same position I do. Other than those factors, if you still get paid less than me, I will help you when you go report the business to the police, because there are laws against paying someone who does the exact same job in the exact same company for the exact same hours less because of their gender.
30)  In what world does $0.77 equal $1.00?
> See above.
31) In what world does $0.68 equal $1.00?
> Still see above.
32) In what world is that fair?
> Even still see above.
33a) Why are you intimidated by a woman that makes more money than you?
> I’m not. Next question.
33b) That’s awesome! More money!
> More problems
34a) Why are opinionated women seen as bitches
> Opinionated people suck. I didn’t ask for your opinion, so don’t give it to me.
34b) when opinionated men are seen as bosses?
> They aren’t. They’re just as annoying as the women. They are dicks, knowitalls, assholes, asshats, etcetera.
35) Why aren’t you speaking up when you hear your male friends behind closed doors that are offensive to women?
> I thought you were funnier than me. Listen, honey, how does this sound to you?
 Person A: Makes offensive joke behind closed doors
 Persons B, C, and D: Laughing
 Me: Hey, could you maybe not say those things? The women who can’t even hear you right now because we are in private behind closed doors could get offended.
 Persons A, B, C, and D: Staring at me
 Me: Really, guys, I know they can’t hear you, but they could still somehow get offended because of their delicate feelings. Don’t you know that women are sensitive creatures who need to be protected and coddled at every cost, so that mean words don’t strike them down?
 Person A: That sounds kind of sexist, dude.
36a) Why are you so afraid of recognizing your own privilege?
> I don’t have any. I live in an apartment complex, live below the poverty line, barely passed high school, and suffer from depression, anxiety, and Asperger’s. But yeah, you with your designer clothes, $200 haircut, and feature spot on BuzzFeed, tell me all about that privilege I have.
36b) It doesn’t mean you’re a bad person
> Tell that to tumblr.
36c) Just recognise it and do something about it.
> Says the woman living in a first world country.

anonymous asked:

Feminism is not a hate movement, yes there are misandrists in the movement that do not belong there but the aim of feminism is to support all genders and races

First, thanks for stopping by!  I’m always happy to educate.  While you’re making a statement of opinion instead of asking a question, I’m going to pretend that you’re asking me to back up my claims and are here for answers.

Second, this is going to be a long post.  This is Tumblr, so I’ll keep it as short as possible, but really… there is a mountain of feminist history going back over 200 years documenting the awfulness that is feminism. If I had the time, I could fill books with this stuff.

While I do believe that feminism has become a hate movement since the 1960′s, more specifically feminism is and has been a supremacy movement since its inception.

I’ll go back as far as the mid 19th century.  Before 1839, it was custom under English law (and countries which inherited English law, such as the US) to automatically give custody to the father on divorce.  Unfair, right?  Was the feminist solution equality?  Something like shared parenting, perhaps? 

Enter Caroline Norton and the Custody of Infants Act of 1839, which was the foundation for the Tender Years Doctrine.  This mandated custody of children under age 7 be granted to the mother in all cases.  The father had no recourse unless he could prove the mother was an adulterer.  In 1873 this was expanded to include all children under age 16.  The Tender Years Doctrine was written into law across the US and remained so until the end of the 20th century, alienating generations of children from their fathers.  Even today, with the “best interests of the child” standard, courts still recognize a maternal preference.  Mothers tend to be automatically granted custody while fathers must sue for custody.  This has resulted in a devastating 18% custody rate for fathers.

Next to World War I and the White Feather movement, which used female power to shame men into dying en masse

Onward and upward to 1923.  Ever heard of Alice Paul?  She was a real hero of the Women’s Suffrage movement.  In 1921, a year after the 19th amendment was passed, she introduced the Equal Rights Amendment.  By 1923 it was soundly defeated by… guess who?  Not misogynists, not conservatives… A coalition of feminists led by the League of Women Voters.  Why?  They wanted to preserve female privilege enshrined in law, which they would lose if the ERA made them truly equal.

Let’s move forward to 1971.  Erin Pizzey, another true hero who opened England’s first domestic violence shelters, noticed pretty quickly that a majority of the women entering her shelter were “equally as violent or more violent than their husbands.”  Feminists were so enraged by such an idea that she suffered harassment, death threats, and bomb threats which chased her out of England.  What is this once great supporter of abused women doing with herself today?  She is now a leading voice in the Men’s Rights movement and advocate for equality in domestic violence support.

Erin Pizzey’s findings have been reinforced by over FOUR DECADES of research.  What did feminism do with this?  It created the Duluth Model, which blames all domestic violence exclusively on men and the mythical patriarchy.  It continues to be the cornerstone of domestic violence support across the US, despite being debunked in 1999 by its co-founder.  Feminism and the Duluth Model is the reason why there are literally ZERO male domestic violence shelters in the US and men who call hotlines for help are referred instead to batterers’ programs.

Those are just a few points in history that highlight what feminism is all about.  While feminism was forgiven for its supremacy during the first and second waves because women actually lacked rights back then, it’s quite a different story now that women have not only legal equality but legal supremacy over men.  You can see in these points that things clearly changed from exclusively championing female power for much of the history of feminism to the more recent violent misandry.  

So what happened?  Christina Hoff Sommers has been a feminist longer than I’ve been alive (and I’m old in Tumblr years) and documents this well in Who Stole Feminism? published way back in 1994 - which should give you a hint as to how long feminism has been lost.

My answer?  By 1963 feminism had won.  The Equal Pay Act was the last major legislative hurdle women needed to have all the same legal rights as men AND keep all of the female privileges the ERA would remove.  Feminism had essentially fought its way into irrelevance.  What now?  What to do?

The bat shit hit the fan in 1967 when paranoid schizophrenic political lesbian Valerie Solanas published the SCUM Manifesto.  S.C.U.M. stood for Society for Cutting Up Men.  Here are choice tidbits:

“…overthrow the government, eliminate the money system, institute complete automation and eliminate the male sex.“

and

“…”the male is an incomplete female, a walking abortion…. To be male is to be deficient, emotionally limited; maleness is a deficiency disease and males are emotional cripples.”

and my personal favorite

“To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he’s a machine, a walking dildo.” 

With quotes like this from a murderous nutter like Valerie Solanas, any sane person would reject this entirely, right?

The SCUM Manifesto helped set the direction of third-wave feminism.  It continues to be widely read in Women’s Studies courses today.  It gave free license to feminists to cast off the shroud of equality and embrace supremacy. 

Today, feminism is a shadow of its former self… Wallowing in lies, half-truths, and fantasy.  While it is most noted for its misandry, feminism’s primary victim is women.  Third-wave feminism depends entirely on the victimization and infantilization of women.

It concocts fantastic narratives like the The Wage Gap myth based on a real statistic that shows no such thing.  It invents Rape Culture by ensuring that men can not legally be raped by women thus allowing it to ignore the fact that women make up 40% of rapists and, in education, place the burden of proof on men.  It flails about, searching for something, ANYTHING to make it relevant and lands on total nonsense like manspreading.  It even spreads like cancer to make itself somehow relevant in racial equality despite its long history steeped in racism.

In conclusion, third wave feminism is misandry.  The two are inseparable… and both are an abomination to anyone who wants equality over gender supremacy.

“To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he’s a machine, a walking dildo.”

—  Valerie Solanas, founder of S.C.U.M. (Society for Cutting Up Men), attempted to murder Andy Warhol in 1968; S.C.U.M. Manifesto (1967)

“Under patriarchy, every woman’s son is her potential betrayer and also the inevi­table rapist or exploiter of another woman.”

—  Andrea Dworkin, author and anti-pornography activist; Our Blood (1976) p. 20 

“[Rape] is nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which all men keep all women in a state of fear.”

—  Susan Brownmiller, journalist and author, co-founder of Women Against Pornography; Against Our Will (1975) p. 5 

“The institution of sexual intercourse is anti-feminist.”

—  Ti-Grace Atkinson, author, president of New York NOW and founder of the October 17th Movement; Amazon Odyssey (1974) p. 86

“I feel that ‘man-hating’ is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them.”

—  Robin Morgan, author and editor for Ms. Magazine; Going Too Far (1978) p. 178

“Being a housewife is an illegitimate profession… The choice to serve and be protected and plan towards being a family-maker is a choice that shouldn’t be. The heart of radical feminism is to change that.”

—  Vivian Gornick, author and educator at The New School; The Daily Illini (25 April 1981)

“I feel what they feel: man-hating, that volatile admixture of pity, contempt, disgust, envy, alienation, fear, and rage at men … for the men women share their lives with - husbands, lovers, friends, fathers, brothers, sons, co-workers.”

—  Judith Levine, author and political activist; My Enemy, My Love (1992) p. 3

“There are times when a woman reading Playboy feels a little like a Jew reading a Nazi manual.”

—  Gloria Steinem, journalist and activist, co-founder of Ms. Magazine, prominent figure of second-wave feminism; McCall’s (October 1970)

“And if the professional rapist is to be separated from the average dominant heterosexual [male], it may be mainly a quantitative difference.”

—  Susan Griffin, author and recipient of the MacArthur grant and an Emmy for the play Voices; Rape: The All-American Crime; Ramparts Magazine (1971) p. 30

“I believe that women have a capacity for understanding and compassion which man structurally does not have, does not have it because he cannot have it. He’s just incapable of it.”

—  Barbara Jordan, United States Representative of Texas; Running as a Woman(1994) p. 266 

“Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat. Women often have to flee from the only homes they have ever known.”

—  Hillary Clinton, American diplomat and former senator; First Ladies’ Conference on Domestic Violence, El Salvador, 1998

“If life is to survive on this planet, there must be a decontamination of the Earth. I think this will be accompanied by an evolutionary process that will result in a drastic reduction of the population of males.”

—  Mary Daly, philosopher and former professor at Boston College (women’s studies and others); “No Man’s Land”; What Is Enlightenment? (Fall/Winter 1999)

“The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race.”

—  Sally Miller Gearhart, author and former professor of women’s studies at San Francisco State University; The Future - If There Is One - Is Female (1981)

“Women have very little idea of how much men hate them.”

—  Germaine Greer, author, journalist and former lecturer at the University of Warwick; The Female Eunuch (1970) p. 279

“Rape represents an extreme behavior, but one that is on a continuum with normal male behavior within the culture.”

—  Mary Koss, researcher and professor of psychology at Kent State University; Sexual Experiences Survey (1982)

“We have long known that rape has been a way of terrorizing us and keeping us in subjection. Now we also know that we have participated, although unwittingly, in the rape of our minds.”

—  Gerda Lerner, former professor of women’s studies at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, helped found the field of Women’s History; The Creation of Patriarchy, Volume 1 (1986) p. 225

“As long as some men use physical force to subjugate females, all men need not … He can beat or kill the woman he claims to love; he can rape women … the vast majority of men in the world do one or more of the above.

—  Marilyn French, author and lecturer, advisor to Al Gore’s presidential campaign; The War Against Women (1992) p. 182

“[The falsely accused] have a lot of pain, but it is not a pain that I would necessarily have spared them. I think it ideally initiates a process of self-exploration. ‘How do I see women?’ ‘If I did not violate her, could I have?’  … Those are good questions.”

—  Catherine Comins, assistant dean of students at Vassar College; TIME Magazine(June 3 1992)

“Politically, I call it rape whenever a woman has sex and feels violated.”

—  Catharine MacKinnon, philosopher and professor at three universities, presently University of Michigan; A Rally Against Rape (1981)

“Feminist consciousness is consciousness of victimization … to be aware of an alien and hostile force outside of oneself … For some feminists, this hostile power is ‘society’, or ‘the system’; for others, it is simply men.”

—  Sandra Bartky, professor of philosophy and gender studies at the University of Illinois; Femininity and Domination (1990) p. 15 

“Heterosexuality is a die-hard custom through which male-supremacist institutions insure their own perpetuity and control over us. Women are kept, maintained and contained through terror, violence, and spray of semen.”

—  Cheryl Clarke, author and former educator and dean of students at Rutgers University; Words of Fire (1995) p. 244

“If the classroom situation is very heteropatriarchal—a large beginning class of 50 to 60 students, say, with few feminist students—I am likely to define my task as largely one of recruitment … of persuading students that women are oppressed.”

—  Joyce Trebilcot, author and former professor of philosophy and women’s studies at Washington University; Who Stole Feminism (1994) p. 92

youtube

A film by Luce Guilbeault, Nicole Brossard and Margaret Wescott
Canada, 1980 (shot in New York City in 1975 and 1976). Documentary about the second wave of feminism, with interviews with Ti-Grace Atkinson, Rita Mae Brown, Betty Friedan, Margo Jefferson, Lila Karp and Kate Millett.

I’ve been thinking that one of the points missed when people get pissed off at “I’m a feminist but not a fat, ugly dyke” is that nearly all the feminists worth giving a shit about were at least 2 out of 3:  Bela Abzug, Audre Lorde, Ti Grace Atkinson, Andrea Dworkin, Shulamaith Firestone.  Hell, you even get to the “third wave women” writers that I still care about: Dorothy Allison, Nomy Lamm.  Go back a hundred years and we’ve got Carrie Nation with her battleaxe, valkyrie body and so many suffragettes and women organizers who worked side by side with their “companions”.   And I never seem to be able to stop thinking about how much it means to me that the church I go to was founded by two lesbian women who worked their whole lives to make birth control readily available. 

I mean, you’re not just throwing “undesirable” or whatever women under the bus,  your actively re-writing the history of women’s movements to erase their leaders and most powerful thinkers… who were fat, ugly, dykes. 

And man, I was afraid for so long ( still am)  of being a fat ugly dyke but I was so wrong because women who don’t fit into a patriarchal culture’s views of what women should be are so fucking powerful. 

anonymous asked:

Except that is false. Even the fucking Wikipedia page, a drastically simplified source, says that political lesbianism is not about women forcing themselves into sexual relationships with women. You need to actually know what a thing is before you criticize it :/

Political lesbianism is a phenomenon within feminism, primarily second-wave feminism and radical feminism; it includes, but is not limited to, lesbian separatism. Political lesbianism embraces the theory that sexual orientation is a political and feminist choice, and advocates lesbianism as a positive alternative to heterosexuality for women[1] as part of the struggle against sexism.[2]

It later says this:

They argued that women should abandon support of heterosexuality and to stop sleeping with men, encouraging women to rid men “from your beds and your heads.”[4] While the main idea of political lesbianism is to be separate from men, this does not necessarily mean that political lesbians had to sleep with women; some chose to be celibate or identified as asexual.

And later still:

Ti-Grace Atkinson

, a radical feminist who helped to found the group

The Feminists

, is attributed with the phrase that embodies the movement: ‘Feminism is the theory; lesbianism is the practice.’

[6]

It advocates homosexuality as the superior choice.  So because some political lesbians didn’t start screwing women, that doesn’t mean that many didn’t try because (he’s a shocker) they were saying lesbianism is a choice and the superior option.

That’s the difference between the two of us.  You go by the definition they put forward.  I go by what is happening in practice.

If you’re seriously not seeing the connection between them claiming:

  1. Heterosexuality is bad
  2. Having sex with women is good
  3. Calling themselves lesbians
  4. Claiming lesbianism is the practice of feminism

Then you’re pretty dense.  You’d be the sort who points to the definition of feminism to prove its really about equality of the sexes, rather than promoting female advantages and interests.