DAZZLING DC LADIES MONTH: Maggie Sawyer
First appeared: Superman (vol. 2) #4, April 1987
Who is she? A native of Star City, Maggie was married for several years to a fellow police officer, but unhappily. When she finally found a measure of peace with herself and came out of the closet, her husband reacted badly. He sought, and got, full custody over their young daughter – the only part of their marriage Maggie really cherished.
Maggie left Star City, building a new life for herself in Metropolis. And that’s where she first enters into the comics, as a Police Captain heading up the Special Crimes Unit. She was initially disapproving of Superman’s vigilantism, but after he rescued her during a terrorist plot she began to warm to him, ultimately becoming one of his main police contacts. She also started dating Toby Raynes, a reporter for the Daily Star, although the demands of the job frequently put a strain on their relationship.
During the early 2000s, Maggie transferred to Gotham City’s police force as the head of the Major Crimes Unit. Although she and Toby kept up a long distance relationship for some time, eventually they drifted apart. Maggie later began dating Kate Kane, and over the past couple of years they’ve grown extremely close, enough so for Kate to reveal to Maggie her identity as the vigilante Batwoman. They’re now engaged, but they’re not going to get married because Dan Didio thinks happiness is childish.
What can she do? Maggie’s a woman of strength and integrity, who won’t take shit from anyone. This is a lady who can look Lex Luthor square in the eye and tell him he can shove his blackmail up his arse. She’s fought hard to get to where she is today, and she won’t back down easily. Underneath the tough, no-nonsense exterior, though, there’s also a lot of compassion.
Where can I find her? Below is a list of stories containing significant moments for Maggie. Stories in which Maggie is a key or supporting cast member are bolded.
- Action Comics #595, Superman vol. 2 #15 (Maggie’s daughter runs away from her father’s house, and we get a bit of Maggie’s backstory.)
- Action Comics #600 (Lex Luthor tries to blackmail Maggie. She tells him to fuck off.)
- Superman vol. 2 #38 (Maggie’s daughter gets into more trouble.)
- Action Comics #688 (Maggie gets a promotion.)
- Metropolis SCU (A four-part miniseries centred on the Metropolis PD’s Special Crimes Unit. Maggie is a main character and the story explores her relationship with her girlfriend Toby.)
- Detective Comics #764 (Maggie moves to Gotham.)
- Gotham Central (Maggie’s in most issues. The series revolves around the cops in the GCPD’s Major Crimes Unit, and I can’t recommend it enough.)
- Batwoman: Elegy (Maggie is now single. She and Kate flirt and dance and look fabulous in their tuxes.)
- Batwoman (New 52) (Maggie’s in most issues. She and Kate start dating, fight crime together and then get engaged.)