POCs in Goth/Punk/Alternative Music Masterpost
As an addition to the goth/post-punk/alt band masterpost, here’s a list of bands featuring members of color. Most are influential, others new discoveries or future freak gods. As there is definitely room for expansion, feel free to make suggestions.
P.S: thank you erato-tia-tuatha and babybatsy for recently contributing to the previous masterpost, your additions will be up shortly. A huge high-five for doxian, coffadwriaeth and tillh for your help with this one!
Goth, dark or industrial:
- Creature Feature - Erik X is an evil composer and organ player with a special gift for raising the dead.
- Plastique Noir -the Brazilian band that made the song “Empty Streets” that’s just too dark to handle.
- O. Children - contrary to popular belief, Tobi O’Kandi is not, in fact, a black reincarnation of Ian Curtis.
- Thrill Kill Kult - sick industrial band with several poc members.
- Bad Brains - why most of the bands on this list even exist.
- Death - not to be confused with the metal band of the same way. Not that you could confuse the members in any way.
- Rough Francis - founded by the sons of David Hackney of Death.
- Pure Hell - afropunk taken literally.
- X-Ray Spex - Poly Styrene was the energy and feel of the band. Actually, she was just energy and feel period. Fun fact: she was also bipolar.
- Radkey - Rad.
- TMGE - Japanese band named “Thee Michelle Gun Elephant” or as they prefer: JAPANESE BAND NAMED “THEE MICHELLE GUN ELEPHANT”.
- Tamar Kali - powerful musician, especially known for “Boot”.
- The Objex - Feloney Melony’s got a wicked hawk and voice.
- Stiffed - Santi White now performs solo as Santigold.
Metal or funk/rap/reggae metal fusion:
- Blasphemy - Black metal, the biggest irony on earth as Caller of the Storms remains one of the rare black musicians within the genre.
- Babymetal - this Japanese trio is more metal than a viking woman on her period in the middle of a battlefield drinking the blood of her enemies to the sound of Immortal…for some at least.
- Wicked Wisdom - Will Smith’s wife get a band?? Yes she Will.
- Unlocking the Truth - these 13 year olds played in the streets of NYC before they opened for Living Colour.
- Absolace - amazing metal from Dubai.
- Living Colour - better than Dead Monochrome.
- King’s X - more hard rock, but hey.
- Bionic Jive - one of the better hip-hop/metal fusions.
- Skindred - check out the album “Roots Rock Riot”.
Alternative or too cool to label:
- Bat for Lashes - Natasha Khan’s songs are ethereal.
- Skunk Anansie - Skin is a fierce woman with a fierce voice. Also, her eyes will pierce through your soul.
- Fishbone - literally unclassifiable: ska, punk, crazy cool…
- Dub War - often likened to Skindred. Not because the singer has dreads or anything. Or because it’s the same guy.
- The Slack Republic - fairly new (2005), looking forward to more.
Want to see a band on the list? Make a suggestion!